Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 12-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

Importance of Team Tactic and Individual Roles

So JeffR mentioned in another post about 'Backcheck' giving some defensive bonuses and offensive penalties for a player when the OP asked about 'Sniper' vs. 'Backcheck' so here's my question.

We have overall team tactics for offense and defense, with some giving priorities to certain skill sets e.g. Speed vs. Shooting or Hits vs. Positioning.

I know that players have scores for their roles e.g. 4/4 or 2/5 and so on depending on the roles being looked at.

My question: How important is the Team Tactic in reflection to a player's role? If my team is Shooting oriented, is it worth making a Center who's a 4/4 as a Playmaker but only a 3/3 as a Sniper? The offset in total number isn't much but I can't figure out what the trade off is here. Same for if a team is passing oriented, is a Dangler at 3/3 better than a 3/5 Speedy Forward?

Another scenario is say a '1-2-2 Forecheck' for defense and having a 4/5 Stay at Home Defenseman vs. a 4/5 Old School Defenseman. I know the 'Green' boundaries are ideal roles but is there a big difference between roles that are the same number? Should players be varied in their roles or is it better to have 3-4 guys all with the same role if the total number is high enough?

Also how do Secondary Roles effect the team overall? Is it better to have offense/defense or is it dependent on the overall Team Tactic?
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

Generally, the team tactic shouldn't be taken to dictate that every player on the team needs to follow its general tendencies. You still need to account for the roles making sense in the context of the line - so if that 4/4 Playmaker C is on a line with two guys who can't shoot as well as him but are better passers, it probably makes more sense to make him the Sniper even if the total score is lowered by a point.

The role requirements of each line try to encourage that kind of combination-building, but there's enough flexibility that it's not going to twist your arm into doing it the "right" way. Basically, you're trying to balance getting the best possible tactical score with what works best for the individual player, what fits into the line, and how it affects the opponent via countering roles. Sometimes, you'll be in a position where the pieces line up nicely and there's a clear-cut optimal solution. But a lot of the time you're going to have to make compromises and tradeoffs.

Having everyone on a line/pair with the same role is usually a bad idea - balancing them out is generally better, although in the case you've mentioned (Stay at Home vs. Old School) the differences are pretty subtle.

Secondary roles are roles that don't quite fit the tactic, but are close enough that the tactic can adapt to their use instead of what it normally requires. Using them will lower the team's overall tactical effectiveness.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote