Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
Furious
Minors (Triple A)

Talent change/aging modifiers, neutral environment, pitcher creation

I want to create a historical league with some fictional players. The fictional players will actually be Negro League players and PCL players, but I want to create them individually rather than use one of the databases.

So, a few questions:
  1. Creating batters is quite easy, enter the stats and there you go. Pitchers are another issue altogether. Is there some trick for creating pitchers to get them to have the ratings that will produce the desired stats?
  2. I'll have recalc on, because I want the non-created players to have similar career paths to what they had in real life. I am aware that for the players I create it's a bit of a crapshoot. If I want a created player to have a long career, is adjusting the talent change/aging modifiers the way to go? If so, what should I set them at? Will those modifiers affect the non-created players as well or will recalc override that for them?
  3. Is there a chart or something somewhere that shows what the "neutral environment" stats would produce in a given year? For example, if I create a guy to hit 30 hr in 550 AB in a "neutral environment", is there a way to figure out what he should do in 1930?
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:49 AM   #2
Furious
Minors (Triple A)

Seriously? No one knows the answers to any of these questions?

Have I posted this to the wrong board? Could someone suggest where I might post this to get a response? (I don't want to spam every board on the forum.)

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:07 AM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious View Post
I want to create a historical league with some fictional players. The fictional players will actually be Negro League players and PCL players, but I want to create them individually rather than use one of the databases.

So, a few questions:
  1. Creating batters is quite easy, enter the stats and there you go. Pitchers are another issue altogether. Is there some trick for creating pitchers to get them to have the ratings that will produce the desired stats?
  2. I'll have recalc on, because I want the non-created players to have similar career paths to what they had in real life. I am aware that for the players I create it's a bit of a crapshoot. If I want a created player to have a long career, is adjusting the talent change/aging modifiers the way to go? If so, what should I set them at? Will those modifiers affect the non-created players as well or will recalc override that for them?
  3. Is there a chart or something somewhere that shows what the "neutral environment" stats would produce in a given year? For example, if I create a guy to hit 30 hr in 550 AB in a "neutral environment", is there a way to figure out what he should do in 1930?
1. I would keep your TR at 50 at most. It affects all players not just the ones you create. Set aging modifiers at (see SS)
When i edit my EBL pitchers it is a bit of a crapshoot. Lately i have been upping their K's over what they did in other games because otherwise it gives them stuff of 5 or less (1-10 scale) Example:
tim Waters is basically a LHP version of Greg Maddux. it won;t overpower you but he doesnt give up walks and keep it on the ground but one season with a stuff rating of 3 stat line was 230 IP 115 K 19 BB. Through 20 GS he had 160 IP 60 K 3 BB. i edited his K and he ended up at 154 K in 271 IP, 17 BB.
1a. I created Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige for my orig ABF league back on OOTP 11 or 12. based oin negro league stats i found online. I edited their stats to show their rookie year and their potential based on best overall season. Gibson, very similar to how Spirtze has him rated struggled his 1st 5 years then i traded him to the NY Giants which played in the Polo Grounds. He then hit 54 HR and was the NL MVP.
In my reboot of my ABF using neutralized stats (dont use them) Gibson hit 620 HR.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3816495
Paige in the orig ABF was a 3 time Cy Young award winner and won approx 220 games through 11 seasons. Forgot to mention Gibson suffered a CEI while with Arizona. Paige & Gibson were both on that team. Paige in my reboot was great.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3866453
both were imported using Spirtze DB.

2. i would use rookie year for current then best overall season for potential as mentioned above. Some will work out some will not. I edit stats of my EBL players yearly and i have had maybe 50 players have fluke years Jimmy Dugan hit 71 HR one year when he should have hit 45. Nick Sullivan is still going strong at age 44.Although is finally in decline based off of his edited stat line of 550 147 27 5 8 116 5 82 .267
Aging modifiers will affect both real and created players. Brandon McCarthy is a 2 time 20 game winner on the CBF and still going strong at age 41.Part of that is how he was rated when he came into the league in 2005. i started in 1999 with real MLB.
see my dynasty thread for more info
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...12-beyond.html

3. dont have the answer for this one. EBL is in 1994 equivalent while CBF ins 2004 and MLB 2024. although somewhat stuck in 2014.If you use the PCM's for the year you are in players shouldn't hit 73 HR.Jimmy Dugans 71 HR season was a mistake on my part and i accidentally used PCM's for 2010. It says modern neutral environment but i have been able to get most of my players to do what they did on other games like Hardball, Tony Larussa and High Heat. There are a few fluke exceptions but I did have a player that was supposed to hit .606 last year, instead he hit .428. Was supposed to only be 300 AB for the .606 instead it was 500 or so AB at the .428.
I up the injury rating for some players and manually injure others. i have yet to mention but my EBL league is a fictional historical replay. 2003 - 2036.
Hopefully I answered some of your questions and since i can talk about my EBL league all day long ask anymore questions you have.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
Furious
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks so much for the response! Give me a few days to digest all this and I'll probably have some more questions for you.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Furious
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I would keep your TR at 50 at most. It affects all players not just the ones you create.

What if you have recalc on? Shouldn’t that prevent the TR from affecting the players from the database?

Quote:
I created Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige for my orig ABF league back on OOTP 11 or 12. based oin negro league stats i found online. I edited their stats to show their rookie year and their potential based on best overall season.

When you say you “created” them, do you mean you added them to a database (or edited them in one that already has them, such as Spritze’s)? Or did you use “create fictional player” and then edit their stats in the player editor? I would prefer to use the latter approach; the problem is that the editor, while very straightforward for non-pitchers, is anything but for pitchers. I assume this is by design, but has anybody figured out a way to edit, for example, a pitcher’s Batting Average Against that doesn’t require extremely tedious trial and error? I presume the BA against is generated by a combination of individual pitch ratings/velocity (which seems to produce the “stuff” rating) and the movement rating (which is editable). It would be great if you could set the “stuff” rating and then have the game generate the individual pitch ratings (instead of the other way around). I’m sure if the game designers wanted you to be able to do that, they’d make it so you could, but obviously that’s not the case. I can accept that, I’m just wondering if you (or anyone) has figured out the “secret” to editing pitchers.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

If you wish accuracy in Pitcher Ratings import from a database even if it only contains the stats you make up. Include the players entire career as you see it. Ratings are most accurate if you include at least 3 years of stats.

If you wish to edit you will need to do it every year. Once won't get you there.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
Furious
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
If you wish accuracy in Pitcher Ratings import from a database even if it only contains the stats you make up. Include the players entire career as you see it. Ratings are most accurate if you include at least 3 years of stats.

If you wish to edit you will need to do it every year. Once won't get you there.
I was under the impression you can only have one active database. Are you saying I can make up a separate database just to import the players I want to create, while still using the database that comes with the game?
Old 09-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #8
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Yup

You can even import players direct from BBref using Big Rods importer that imports importantly.

Last edited by Spritze; 09-05-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:01 AM   #9
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yup

You can even import players direct from BBref using Big Rods importer that imports importantly.
I know I have asked about some of this, and was confused. Now there are even more great possibilities that I am not sure how to implement. I am going to have to quit my job so that I can keep up with these things!!!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #10
Furious
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I'm not sure what this means. I want the player development engine to do its job, I just don't the changes to be too radical.