Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Free Agency

In a historical simulation with "import adjusted financial settings after each year" checked, will the game automatically turn off the reserve clause and initiate free agency or do I need to do it myself?

If the latter, would the correct time be immediately after the 1975 World Series or the first day of the 1975-76 off-season (i.e. before the off-season starts or immediately after it starts)?

Will every player become a free agent or will the AI be aggressive about signing most of its players before the deadline? I don't want chaos.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
In a historical simulation with "import adjusted financial settings after each year" checked, will the game automatically turn off the reserve clause and initiate free agency or do I need to do it myself?
It will happen automagically.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:54 AM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
It will happen automagically.
Never knew that, always thought you had to turn it off yourself. Been a few version since i got to 1975 in historical.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

I only know because the game turns it off for me even though I don't want it to and I sometimes forget to check.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

What happens to the players that were getting automatic contracts in the prior years? Do they suddenly become free agents, or just some of them (randomly), or do they all get one last game-assigned contract?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

For what it's worth, the real life transition to free agency is more nuanced than OOTP can provide. I think it would be interesting for users to actually experience what it was like for GMs of that time by recreating more of the system which existed back then, as it was rather different from what is the case today.

A brief history of real-life free agency:

The Seitz decision in December 1975 meant that two two players involved in that case immediately became free agents, as they had played out the club option year in the 1975 season. For all players who had signed contracts prior to the 1975 season they'd be free agents after playing out the club option year which covered the 1976 season.

The owners and players agreed to a free agent system, which was formalized in the 1976 CBA.

For players who had signed contracts prior to August 9, 1976, they became free agents after playing out the club option year in their contract. The club losing such free agents received no compensation when they were signed by another team. For players who signed contracts on or after August 9, 1976, they became free agents after acquiring six years of major league service. The club losing these free agents would receive draft choice compensation.

The first free agent re-entry draft was held on November 4, 1976. The basic process was this:

Clubs selected negotiating rights with the eligible free agents in reverse order of standings and alternating by league. Free agents could be selected by up to half the number of teams in MLB (12 in 1976, 13 in 1977 and later). The player's original club also retained negotiating rights. Free agents were ranked bythe number of clubs which had selected them in the re-entry draft. Players selected by only one club were free to negotiate with all major league teams.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote