Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
BigCity
All Star Starter

Fourth Option for player pictures...

Ok, here's a last minute left field idea.. but something that occured to me I thought I would throw out there. If I should have posted this in the OOTP "Suggestions" thread, please feel free to move it.

We currently have three(3) color options for player pictures; Color, Sepia, and B&W. I was thinking of a 4th that might be better for vintage time periods - a "washed out color photo".

The monochrome nature of Sepia and B&W loses the detail in a uniform to the point of usually opting for color simply because color is more interesting...

But the reality of the early years was everything was in color, so Sepia and B&W is really a newspaper representation of the period.

A washed out color picture would more accurately display the players as they were - but give the feeling of age with the lack of a vivid color palette.

Thoughts?
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

I like the idea - thinking this would be something more for the uniform makers. Don't know if they'd want to tackle it, they do so much for us already.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
BigCity
All Star Starter

I thought it might be a good idea to post a pic of what I meant.... here is one example I've put together...
Attached Images
Old 02-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

That looks good BigCity.

Not much of a graphics expert myself, but with todays technology I'm wondering if this could be accomplished with a simple overlay (layer) on existing images?
Old 02-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

I like it as well, I always thought a fourth option was needed to capture the look of the early periods of baseball history, thanks for bringing it up for discussion.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
BigCity
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
That looks good BigCity.

Not much of a graphics expert myself, but with todays technology I'm wondering if this could be accomplished with a simple overlay (layer) on existing images?
I did this one with Filter Forge, but yes, an overlay would work as well. As long as the colors were faded out yet still retained. Hoping Daniella sees it as a 15 minute addon... lol.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
BPS
All Star Reserve

I love old photos, but a distinction needs to be made between:
(1) player photos in the past having coloring (different from the currently day) due to film and processing techniques then used (and/or the application of hand tinting), different types of posing, and different backgrounds, and
(2) the effects of age (from, say, fading, chemical reactions that change the color, and physical decay) on these old photos.

If one has a league from, say, 1920 it might be a bit anachronistic to have the photos of players in this league already affected by age (as if they were being viewed in 2014) when in fact the 1920 league is currently on-going.
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
LeiterFanatic
All Star Starter

When you said "washed out" I immediately thought of those 50s and 60s photos that look soft and colorful. You know, the kind of lens effect when they want something to look 60s on TV? That would be great for FaceGen to make the 50s-70s look different.

I think Sepia works fine for Deadball era and B&W for the 1920-50s. The 4th effect needs to be for the later eras. With 80s to today being the sharpest.

Like this....

Last edited by LeiterFanatic; 02-08-2014 at 11:30 AM.
LeiterFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
BigCity
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS View Post
I love old photos, but a distinction needs to be made between:
(1) player photos in the past having coloring (different from the currently day) due to film and processing techniques then used (and/or the application of hand tinting), different types of posing, and different backgrounds, and
(2) the effects of age (from, say, fading, chemical reactions that change the color, and physical decay) on these old photos.

If one has a league from, say, 1920 it might be a bit anachronistic to have the photos of players in this league already affected by age (as if they were being viewed in 2014) when in fact the 1920 league is currently on-going.
I see your point, but again - there are so many ways to play this game, multiple needs become necessary. Let me explain my situation...

"Usually" I create leagues to an extreme detail (the time spent creating the league and all that goes with it including back-story is as much fun as the game itself.

I play in commissioner mode for the first 20-50 years of play, watching the league create its own history.

At that point I study that history and become familiar with the players (past and present) and then place myself into ownership of one of the teams... I then play at a slower pace as GM/Manager.

20-50 years after the league started is when I place myself into that world - so looking at previous season (AND photographs) "is" a historical action. Baseball cards, photographs, team pictures - would ALL be up to 50 years old and would show real age.

That's why I'm striving for the aging process beyond Sepia and B&W.

PS: I do like the pixelation of the Paul Blair baseball card above though

Last edited by BigCity; 02-08-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
BigCity
All Star Starter

Reading over my previous comments, even I felt a little disjointed on what I was trying to say. Thus, I created 5 time period photos to better express what I meant...

1. Pre 1920... NEW
2. 1920-1940... (already in game)
3. 1940-1960... (already in game)
4. 1960- 1980... NEW
5. 1980+... (already in game)

The years are somewhat arbitrary, but you get the idea. It would be nice if the photos generated by facegen defaulted to time periods unlss we rest them, and team photos should also use the filters.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Old 02-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
BigCity
All Star Starter

Here's a team photo with the 1900- 1920 filter...

Ok, I'm done LOL
Attached Images
Old 02-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #12
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
Here's a team photo with the 1900- 1920 filter...

Ok, I'm done LOL
Very nice, like this.