Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2011, 04:02 AM   #21
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by yupo72 View Post
Hi Questdog, if I do this will the actual names and nicknames of my ootp11 imported game remain the same? So does such files affect only new created players in the game?
Thanks
No players already in the league will have their names changed; only new players created after you import will use the new ones.

If you WANT the old players to use the new names, you can use the "Randomize Player Names" function from the League Setup screen after you do the import.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #22
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
No players already in the league will have their names changed; only new players created after you import will use the new ones.

If you WANT the old players to use the new names, you can use the "Randomize Player Names" function from the League Setup screen after you do the import.
just be careful with this. I did this one time and it made my history all screwy. the names in the news text wasn't matching the new name.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #23
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koohead View Post
just be careful with this. I did this one time and it made my history all screwy. the names in the news text wasn't matching the new name.
Yes, randomizing players names will change the names, but not the stuff that has their names in it already.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #24
neojonas
All Star Starter

This is a great mod. You should talk to Markus about replacing the OOTP default file with yours.
neojonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #25
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neojonas View Post
This is a great mod. You should talk to Markus about replacing the OOTP default file with yours.
If he wants to buy it, he is more than welcome......
Old 07-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #26
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

BIG update of the file has been submitted to Padresfan's site and should be posted before too long.

Polish, Czech and Dutch last names got BIG overhauls.

BIG thanks to Randy Andrews for the Polish names!

BIG!!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #27
Dr. P.R. Park III
All Star Reserve

Just wanted to thank you again Questdog for such a quality names file...I actually keep thinking some of the foreigners from Venezuela and Dominican Republic are real because of their names! I think Cuba might need some work though, the Cuban names seemed very basic and cliche Hispanic, not the awesome Cuban names that are the result of miscegenation.
Dr. P.R. Park III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #28
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Cubans are not given their own language slot. If I add one myself, the file will not be compatible with the default one.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #29
Dr. P.R. Park III
All Star Reserve

Makes sense...great name set regardless!
Dr. P.R. Park III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #30
thbroman
All Star Reserve

I have a question about the way that OOTP12 handles names, and yu seem to be the fount of wiscdom on the subject.

In OOTP 11, there was a "nations.txt" file wherein you could specify up to four name sets that represented the four largest ethnic "tiers" from which names could be drawn. (I think I am remembering that correctly). But in OOTP12 that doesn't seem to be how the game does things anymore.

So how would one go about creating a name set representing the different ethnic groups present in the USA in the 1930s for OOTP 12? Would you actually have to import all those German and Swedish and Italian names into a single name set and try to jigger their frequencies? Sounds horribly complicated.
thbroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #31
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbroman View Post
I have a question about the way that OOTP12 handles names, and yu seem to be the fount of wiscdom on the subject.

In OOTP 11, there was a "nations.txt" file wherein you could specify up to four name sets that represented the four largest ethnic "tiers" from which names could be drawn. (I think I am remembering that correctly). But in OOTP12 that doesn't seem to be how the game does things anymore.

So how would one go about creating a name set representing the different ethnic groups present in the USA in the 1930s for OOTP 12? Would you actually have to import all those German and Swedish and Italian names into a single name set and try to jigger their frequencies? Sounds horribly complicated.
Each nation has an entry in the world_default.xml that looks like this:

<NATION id="43" name="Taiwan" pop="23069345" lid="4" gender="0" bbqual="1" abbr="TPE" dem="Taiwanese">
<ETHNICITIES>
<ETHNICITY lid="4" pct="100" />
</ETHNICITIES>

EHTNICITY lid (language id) corresponds to the list of lid's at the top of the the world_default.xml file. You can put as many id's as you want in there. But you have to do it before you create the league for it to have any effect.

If the league is already created, choose the Explore World option in the manager menu while in Commissioner mode and select the country you want to edit. Click on the Edit Nation tab and you can add languages and set up the frequencies. Note that you can't delete languages.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #32
thbroman
All Star Reserve

Many thanks! That makes the process about as clear as it could be.
thbroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #33
kehowey
Major Leagues

I just switched to Questdog's Modern Name Set. Wow! It was like when TV went from black and white to color. Great job. Thx QD
kehowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #34
dlefe
Minors (Single A)

Will this mod, or any part of it, work with OOTP13??? I really liked this mod, and i'd hate to start a new league in 13 without it. The additional names, and ratios based on ethnicities, was a real bonus in my OOTP12 game.
dlefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #35
BigDPW
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlefe View Post
Will this mod, or any part of it, work with OOTP13??? I really liked this mod, and i'd hate to start a new league in 13 without it. The additional names, and ratios based on ethnicities, was a real bonus in my OOTP12 game.
I too was wondering this?
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #36
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

I have been away on a protracted quest and just downloaded the game for myself. It appears that no changes have been made to the way names work in OOTP13, so my Modern Names set should work fine.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #37
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
I have been away on a protracted quest and just downloaded the game for myself. It appears that no changes have been made to the way names work in OOTP13, so my Modern Names set should work fine.
That's great news. Love your modern names project.
GiantYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #38
oman19
All Star Starter

Just stumbled across this. Finished my 30 year sim and just erased all my history. Found this in just in time so I can randomize the league names as well.

Thx for the work on this QD.

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #39
ecd1973
Major Leagues

Quote:
I verified that this works in my new OOTP13 league. Followed the same directions as I did in OOTP12 with no issues.
ecd1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #40
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

Quote:
I did this with an existing league and get, among other things, a white guy named D'Andre Jackson. Is this just a case where going forward it'll handle these correctly, but in the original list there may be some oddities like that?
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote