Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Crazy thought:OOTP 17 - Historical fictional mode..Change the course of history in fictional leagues

We have:

Standard
Historical
Fictional

How about a Historical Fictional option? What if OOTP made a historical database for our fictional universes where we could use that feature to go back to relive and change baseball history? This would be especially useful for us long term simmers. Let's say we're in 2020 and we'd like to go back and start a historical game in 1985 using our fictional database. How cool would that be? Did a star player who was looking like he may break records go down with a career ending injury? Now you can replay those years and change history! Relive or watch dynasties change. Star fictional players may end up being busts. etc..Taking it one step further, how about historical fictional mode using random debut? I'm getting ahead of myself here but the possibilities would be endless.

I'm sure you guys know what I'm getting at. How awesome would this be for us fictional players?

Thoughts?

Last edited by Habsfan18; 10-10-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Kent814
All Star Reserve

This is the best thing ive heard all day. It would make the greatest game greater
Kent814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
BMD
All Star Reserve

So basically, if I understand, you want to take a fictional future universe then restart it at some point in it's own past and go forward again to see how peple and events would be different in a seperate but similar timeline heading back towards future where you originally were.

Well, if JJ Abrams can do it to Star Trek, I do not see why Marcus could not do it in OOTP.
BMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMD View Post
So basically, if I understand, you want to take a fictional future universe then restart it at some point in it's own past and go forward again to see how peple and events would be different in a seperate but similar timeline heading back towards future where you originally were.

Well, if JJ Abrams can do it to Star Trek, I do not see why Marcus could not do it in OOTP.
LOL! "OOTP 17 - Powered by MLB and JJ Abrams."
Old 10-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #5
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

It may be just crazy wishful thinking on my part, but the more I think about this the more I really would love it as an option.

C'mon Markus, either let me down easy. Or tell me there's a chance some day.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

I don't understand what this is - wouldn't it be the same to simply run another league starting at the earlier time, which you can already do? Then compare it to your existing league all you want.

edit - Hmm I see you are talking about fictional leagues. Guess you could save your game as a quickstart or similar and play it through again if you wanted. It's not a bad idea though.

Last edited by Peregrine; 10-11-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #7
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Interesting idea. I'd give it a whirl.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't understand what this is - wouldn't it be the same to simply run another league starting at the earlier time, which you can already do? Then compare it to your existing league all you want.

edit - Hmm I see you are talking about fictional leagues. Guess you could save your game as a quickstart or similar and play it through again if you wanted. It's not a bad idea though.
Basically my thought is the exact same concept as the MLB historical mode, but with fictional leagues. With MLB historical, you can go back and play with a young Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds etc.. I'm 120+ seasons into a completely fictional MLB with all fictional players. Looking through the leagues history has me thinking how cool it would be if the game could make a historical database of this particular fictional league. This way, I can go back and play the 60's/70's etc.. and see how things would play out differently.

So basically the exact same as historical MLB mode, but with a database created completely from a previously simmed fictional file. The game would treat that file like it was THE official history of the game in our universe. We could go back and replay with those specific fictional players like we would do in fictional MLB mode. Have a favorite fictional player that retired 20-30 years ago? Now you'd be able to go back and relive those seasons with that player in his younger days and see if his career would play out the same.

Last edited by Habsfan18; 10-11-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
andrewv500
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thumbs up Very cool idea

I myself play fictional almost exclusively and the ability for the game to generate a history for that league at its creation would be really neat. Simply that, no need to replay those seasons, though I certainly appreciate the fervor which Habsfan18 brings to that idea. Its one of the great things about the developers that we have ideas like this that could maybe some day be in the game itself!

Having stats and history for teams and players would be a big addition to the sense of immersion the game creates. It could be limited in terms of years or file size the player wants or their computer could allow for. But wow, what an idea here! A minor nitpick for me has always been the older players having experience but no stats upon the games creation. This would solve that, and instantly provide a history to draw upon when starting the league with rivalries, records, awards, dynasties, underdogs, heroes and goats.

And of course it would be entirely opt in by the user at the start. I would assume the initial load time would be lengthy which would be very annoying for those who do not want it and forgot to un-tick a box (which we all do, over and over again for all our various preferences).

Speaking for myself as a big fan and long term buyer there are many aspects to fictional I would like to see improved or simply added, but this is honestly the first I've ever heard of this idea (again appreciation to Habsfan18) and think its a concept that is worthy of serious consideration.

andrewv500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #10
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I also want Fictional Random Debut. Since my league is MLB & 4 other fictional leagues, it would be really cool to start at 1901 with players who played in the EBL in 2024. Would also love to have teh real Shoeless Joe Jackson play next to his EBL clone or Pete Rose play next to his CBF clone Charlie Hustle.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

And then we could have dynasty reports that play out like back to the future.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #12
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, fictional random debut was what I was thinking when I read the thread title. Restarting from a given year is something that can be done now with a little forethought -- just save a Quickstart every Jan 1st (or whatever).

Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #13
NYYANKS98
Minors (Double A)

I think the difference between this and quick starting your league is that you would have the same player debuts and draft classes simply playing out differently than they did in your "real league history". Sounds like a cool idea to me.
NYYANKS98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #14
hfield007
All Star Starter

i suggested this long ago and was told no it would be difficult iirc... sad. maybe they'll finally say yes by ootp 20
Attached Images

Last edited by hfield007; 10-14-2015 at 04:50 PM.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:49 PM   #15
kevrock
Minors (Double A)

This would be a great feature. Might bring me back to offline.
kevrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:36 AM   #16
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

Sounds like an interesting option......
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Steve Kuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #17
jtb
All Star Reserve

This is going way back and of similar topic but do any of you remember the fictional database (kind of a Lahman's type but with fictional players?)~~~ might of been for OOTP 3,4, or 5.
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #18
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
This is going way back and of similar topic but do any of you remember the fictional database (kind of a Lahman's type but with fictional players?)~~~ might of been for OOTP 3,4, or 5.
It sounds familiar and about that time frame too
Old 10-16-2015, 09:49 PM   #19
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't this be accomplished with archived backups?

1) Take a backup at the end of the postseason ever year
2) Compress the league in your backup folder and append the year to the name of your zip file
3) If you want to "spin off" an alternate fictional universe at a specific point in time, decompress the zip from that year, restore that backup as "LeagueName-Take2.lg" or whatever, and play.

Might be kind of time consuming (and diskspace consuming potentially - especially with almanacs), but would this work?

The only thing missing with this approach is that it might not be particularly easy to "compare" between the two alternate universes. Unless you generated an almanac for each and compared them side-by-side in IE.

Last edited by hefalumps; 10-16-2015 at 09:50 PM.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote