Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2006, 11:06 PM   #281
Recte44
Global Moderator

If you guys are interested, come over to the Forums and fill out an application under "New Applicants". Even if these spots get filled, I have an inkling that there might be a spot or two coming up.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:39 PM   #282
Recte44
Global Moderator

MBBA Monarchs need a new boss

Greetings, fellow OOTP'ers. I'm here today to tell you a little about the MBBA (Montgomery Brewster Baseball Association) and why it is a great place to be.

First, the Premise:
JANUARY 1973: Major League Baseball passes the Designated Hitter rule for use in the American League on a trial basis. Oakland owner Charlie Finley lobbied hard for the rule and his counterparts obliged. The National League did not approve the rule, and were far from alone in opposing it. Many Americans were against the latest thing to disrupt the National Pastime. In 1969, Curt Flood successfully challenged the reserve clause in baseball, beginning arbitration. Challenges to bring about true free agency for players are lurking on the horizon. Along the way, a society for preservation of the National Pastime was formed. The society decided to launch their own baseball league that would abolish the Designated Hitter and fix financial and player association problems before they arose. "Businessman" Montgomery "Monty" Brewster, who has come into millions of dollars from a deceased uncle, donated the money to the league and is the society's chairman. The MBBA will consist of 2 leagues of 12 teams divided into 3 divisions each. Expansion will be considered as league continues. Owners must have the leagues current version of OOTP and may only control 1 team. Violations of these or any rules described below may merit league enforced punishment, or in extreme cases, banishment from the MBBA. This is a league "for the owners, by the owners", so the majority of our rules are determined by the owners in a democratic spirit. We are all assumed to be in various degrees of maturity and will be expected to dust it off on occasion. Simply put it’s this easy--------
1. Have fun
2. Try your best
3. Treat others as you would like to be treated (or better!)

Some backstory on our history:
I started the MBBA with the 1973 season. We're currently in our 18th season and have a fairly solid reputation of being one of the more active leagues out there. We are a fictional league, but incorporate Defectors from MLB and another newer feature: The Scout-an-MLB'er Program.
We boast an active forum community that is made active by an outstanding group of owners and our highly sophisticated Participation Point System .

What we're looking for:
Currently I'm looking for an owner for the Baltimore Monarchs.

The Baltimore Monarchs are a team that was once great, but now are embroiled in a rebuild that has lost some momentum. This is a great "fixer-upper" opportunity for an owner looking for a challenge.
SP John Ross Riles, Jr. is one of the best pitchers in the MBBA, only 29 years old, and about to sign a long term extension to remain with the Monarchs. This is your chip to either build around, or deal for a slew of prospects to get your rebuild jumpstarted. 23 year old SP Chet "Rocket" Steadman should be able to step in next season alongside Riles, as well. 1B Martin Overstreet, a 19 year old prospect that got huge talent bumps this season, is the best of several decent batting prospects on the horizon. The fan interest, at 52, is rapidly diminishing. There will be some money to spend on free agents this winter.

How can you get involved?
Come to the forum , check out our website , take a look around, talk to some people. If you decide this might be something you'd want to be a part of, CHECK OUT THIS THREAD! We encourage you to sign up for the forums, post an application, and then GET INVOLVED. Usually quite a few people stop by and check out the MBBA everytime I post an opening. The key is to make yourself known. We are looking for owners that will be active forum posters, active in league conversations, and willing to write about their team and the league. Is this you? The MBBA is the place for you to be. Come see us soon.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #283
Recte44
Global Moderator

MBBA has a team open- Valencia Suns

The MBBA (Montgomery Brewster Baseball Association) has been one of the most active and involved fictional leagues in the OOTP community for several years (since OOTP4). We are now in our 19th season and we are going strong. We are a fictional league, but incorporate Defectors from MLB and another newer feature: The Scout-an-MLB'er Program.
We boast an active forum community that is made active by an outstanding group of owners and our highly sophisticated Participation Point System .

What we're looking for:
Currently I'm looking for an owner for the Valencia Suns.

The Valencia Suns are perhaps one of the great reclamation projects out there. I know there are plenty of OOTPers who think they have a natural talent for building dynasties out of nothing. This,friends, is your perfect opportunity to see what you are made of.
Regardless of the fact that the Suns are the MBBA's reigning "crackheads" (the team with the worst record the previous season) and a likely contender to keep that role for a second season straight (unprecedented in MBBA history, IIRC), the Suns have some players worth mention.
CF DeMario Davis and RF Ed Roseman give a nice nucleus to the outfield. SS Diego Jose is an amazing defender and has the third highest career batting average in MBBA history. SP Nate Hollins is a legitimate top of the rotation starter. Beyond that, the Suns have a decent farm system that could bear fruit in the upcoming seasons.

How can you get involved?
Come to the forum , check out our website , take a look around, talk to some people. If you decide this might be something you'd want to be a part of, CHECK OUT THIS THREAD! We encourage you to sign up for the forums, post an application, and then GET INVOLVED. Usually quite a few people stop by and check out the MBBA everytime I post an opening. The key is to make yourself known. We are looking for owners that will be active forum posters, active in league conversations, and willing to write about their team and the league. Is this you? The MBBA is the place for you to be. Come see us soon.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #284
bbrowne74
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm the owner retiring and will say I think the team is in a bit better shape then the commish would make it out to be. You've got youngsters at 1st, 3rd, the OF and the bullpen. Lots of potential on this team. With a bit of tweaking I think this would be a contender - if you're a tradin' type give this team a shot.
bbrowne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:19 AM   #285
Cliche
Minors (Triple A)

Come on, join us...

Great league, great owners... tons of fun for me, and my team sucks.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:49 AM   #286
pedersenk
Minors (Double A)

I can definitely vouch for this league. Excellent competition, great owner base, very active. Only league I'm in, and the reason I still play OOTP.

-Vancouver Mounties (first place in the JLP)
pedersenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:16 PM   #287
Recte44
Global Moderator

There could also be a chance of taking Omaha instead....come talk to me!
Old 03-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #288
Recte44
Global Moderator

The Washington Bobwhites have also opened up. Plenty of room for enthusiastic owners who wish to join a league that is extremely active and detailed.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:26 PM   #289
Recte44
Global Moderator

We did get an owner for Washington right away, but it seems that the OOTP community is scared of the task at hand in Valencia.

What are ya, chicken???

Cue you: "Nobody...calls me.....chicken."

Old 03-16-2006, 10:48 PM   #290
Recte44
Global Moderator

Two brave souls needed...

...to join the MBBA.

Now I've pimped the MBBA out here many times before, but never before have I actually asked my own owners what they thought the great things about the league were before I came to you, the mighty OOTP community.

1) Custom Amateurs. What happens is we write bios of ammys and then I put them all in the draft each season. This way we have some connection with the youngsters as they come in, age, and become legends in the league.

2) The challenge. How many OOTP leagues have you played in that have seemed easy for you? My owners tell me that they feel continually challenged by their peers, the league finances. One of my owners who is/has been in a lot of leagues tells me that the MBBA is "Probably the hardest league to get competitive/stay competitive in."

3) SaLM/Defectors. SaLM's (Scout a Local-MLBers) and MLB Defectors bring in a select amount of "real" players each season to simulate the MBBA being in competition with MLB. With the defectors especially, we pick guys who had a lot of unfinished business or backstories to come over to the MBBA.

4) Camaraderie. It surprised me (perhaps I have taken it for granted) that the MBBA owners told me that they appreciate the passion, mutual respect, and camaraderie amongst the owners in this league. It is definitely a group that cares greatly about the league.

5) Leadership and Reliability. We have never missed a sim without prior notice. We have a strong Governing Board. We have proven to be honest, trustworthy, and care deeply about running a quality league. I feel very honored to have people compliment the job that I do, and that the Vice-Commissioner does. You never have to worry about this league folding as many do, we've been here for almost 20 seasons and have no plans to stop.

6) Hall of Fame. We have a rich history, and we take it very seriously. We have our own Hall of Fame with all owners and a lot of ex-owners voting every season. We have a full CatoBase which really brings a lot to the history of the league and makes it easy for newer owners to get up to speed quickly.

7) Activity. If you want a league that always has some action, and all 24 owners are into it, our forums speak for themselves.

Some other funny suggestions from the owners that speak to the humor you'll find in the MBBA:

"A commish prone to periodic meltdowns" (hey, that's me!! )

"Rabid conservative"-free league!

"A true example of Jews and Muslims co-existing peacefully!"

"More guys with twins than any other OOTP league!"

"Idiot with crappy team writes more team news than anyone!"

"Less commissioner cheating than 70% of the other leagues out there!"

"Guys named 'Gunga' and 'Fantomhorsfli'!"

"The Action 4 News Team is here, why aren't you!?"

Were you amused? Do you think this sounds like fun? For cryin' out loud, what are you waiting for? Come over to the forums now and sign up under the "New Applicants" subforum.

Last edited by Recte44; 03-16-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Recte44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:09 AM   #291
Cliche
Minors (Triple A)

MBBA: Now with 10 Percent More Truthiness.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:45 AM   #292
fifthbetle
Minors (Rookie Ball)

And two Kirks!
Old 03-17-2006, 07:50 AM   #293
Braveheart
Minors (Double A)

We also are tolerable of lesbians. Especially if you post pics!

This message brought up to from the same people you brought you "FREE BIBS"
Braveheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:44 AM   #294
draven085
Hall Of Famer

Recte's meltdowns are truly part of MBBA lore. If you're passionate about fake baseball you owe it to yourself to check us out. I resisted the temptation for a long time but since I joined I just don't know how to quit the MBBA (other than the two times that I did quit and came back, of course)!

Last edited by draven085; 03-17-2006 at 08:46 AM.
draven085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:02 AM   #295
joshuaaaaaa
All Star Reserve

I love lamp!

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do."

~Henry Ford ~
joshuaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #296
mad0die
All Star Reserve

We banned Stunt Bum, too!
Old 03-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #297
pedersenk
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthbetle
And two Kirks!
You know what they say, two Kirks are better than one.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #298
joshuaaaaaa
All Star Reserve

Slide spikes-high into Matt Damon!

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do."

~Henry Ford ~
joshuaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #299
pedersenk
Minors (Double A)

Come on, apply, you know you want to. The MBBA is calling you.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:01 PM   #300
mikev
Hall Of Famer

Which teams are open? There are none listed in the Owners page.