Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Spectator Mode

Just curious how many of you play the game in spectator mode. By spectator mode I mean, you don't run a team as a manager or GM, but simply watch your league play out as a fan or commissioner. I've been playing this way now since OOTP 15 or there about. I love it. I pick a random game every day of the season to watch. Sometimes I do so by series and other times I simply pick a single game to watch when I see an intriguing pitching matchup, or I know a batter has a hitting streak etc.

I stay for the most part hands off and let the game do its thing. In some leagues I'm there to make decisions on when the league expands, dl length, whether rosters expand in September and other rules here and there.

I know Action Jackson plays this way. But, I would love to know how many others do as well. Thanks.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
Pineywoods OOTPer
All Star Reserve

I play like this sometimes.....among other modes. I try a little of everything. It has its moments of extreme interest and fun.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Senior Office Manager, 13th Circle of Heck.

Pineywoods OOTPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Since OOTP9
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #4
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

Spectator Mode

I am by no means a one trick pony when it comes to the way I play the game but I have to say that spectator is my favorite with fictional tied with online after that (which I got into with a great bunch of guys a few years ago and had to bow out due to time constraints ).

Going back to spectator mode, (others have called it many names) I am drawn to it like you. When I just want to relax I bring up my world and see it evolve. I love either just watching it and letting it do it's thing and zooming in on interesting games, stats, races, leagues, etc. or jumping in to create or change something that made sense or added flavor. It's never boring and never short of excitement. I have a long term plan for many things in the world and adjust on the fly as needed or wanted.

Spectator is great for some, not so much for others and for those that have never given it a go, what are you waiting for?!?!
Old 11-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Been doing it since about OOTP 3 or 4. Only play fictional. Do a little more than some of you. Play a series, managing a team. Play the next series managing another team. So on, and so on. Manage all the teams in a season. Get to know the league pretty well. More importantly, it's my copy of the game, and that's how I enjoy it

albatross
albatross11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross11 View Post
Been doing it since about OOTP 3 or 4. Only play fictional. Do a little more than some of you. Play a series, managing a team. Play the next series managing another team. So on, and so on. Manage all the teams in a season. Get to know the league pretty well. More importantly, it's my copy of the game, and that's how I enjoy it
That's an interesting twist and I just may give that a try at some point.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross11 View Post
It's not spectator mode when you're managing.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

One thing I wish OOTP would add that would improve spectator mode enjoyment is the ability to select multiple games to watch at the start of each day's play. Lots of times, I will see a great matchup in the AL featuring #1 vs #2 and a similar matchup in the NL as well. Now, I know I can choose the option to not sim in the background and play both, but I'm horrible about forgetting and even worse about remembering to switch it back. It would be so cool if we could simply mark the game we want to watch and the game would sim all other game in the background.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

I wish they would add a neat little feature that FHM has - the ability to subscribe to a specific Teams News, League News, Tournament News. It helps you follow as many or few teams as you like.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #10
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
One thing I wish OOTP would add that would improve spectator mode enjoyment is the ability to select multiple games to watch at the start of each day's play. Lots of times, I will see a great matchup in the AL featuring #1 vs #2 and a similar matchup in the NL as well. Now, I know I can choose the option to not sim in the background and play both, but I'm horrible about forgetting and even worse about remembering to switch it back. It would be so cool if we could simply mark the game we want to watch and the game would sim all other game in the background.
I just leave it unchecked. Once you do it once, it keeps your preference. Then, anytime I watch a game, no other game gets played. I can watch another if I want when the first one is over, or just click "sim day", or sim 1 game at a time. Lotsa choices
Old 11-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #11
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
I wish they would add a neat little feature that FHM has - the ability to subscribe to a specific Teams News, League News, Tournament News. It helps you follow as many or few teams as you like.
Oh man, that would be so great.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #12
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

I usually play in Commissioner mode as a spectator if that's what you mean. Every now and then I come down from the mountain top and play GM for a year or two but then I go back to being a spectator.
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #13
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just leave it unchecked. Once you do it once, it keeps your preference. Then, anytime I watch a game, no other game gets played. I can watch another if I want when the first one is over, or just click "sim day", or sim 1 game at a time. Lotsa choices
My main issue with that is, I love to look at the each days selected daily stars of the game. If I leave turn sim in the background off, I then have to manually hit quicksim for the games I don't want to watch in order for the daily stars to update. If I hit finish day once the games I want to watch are over, I miss the stars of the day completely, unless I click back to the previous day. The checkbox would make things so much easier.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #14
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My main issue with that is, I love to look at the each days selected daily stars of the game. If I leave turn sim in the background off, I then have to manually hit quicksim for the games I don't want to watch in order for the daily stars to update. If I hit finish day once the games I want to watch are over, I miss the stars of the day completely, unless I click back to the previous day. The checkbox would make things so much easier.
When you're on this page, select "All games today" from the drop down. All remaining games will be simmed, but the day won't change. You'll stay on that screen and that day.
Attached Images
Old 11-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When you're on this page, select "All games today" from the drop down. All remaining games will be simmed, but the day won't change. You'll stay on that screen and that day.
Are you serious????? I can't wait to get home from work and give this a try. You may have just made my day, week, year. Thank you.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #16
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are you serious????? I can't wait to get home from work and give this a try. You may have just made my day, week, year. Thank you.
You didn't know this? Been using this feature for years
Old 11-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #17
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You didn't know this? Been using this feature for years
No, I didn't know about that. Lol, this is going to be a long afternoon at work.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #18
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No you don't. There's an option to complete all games without advancing a day. That's what I do because I also like to see the top stars of the day.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see someone already pointed this out.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #19
Snider&Hodges
Minors (Single A)

I created a league, fictional teams but historically accurate players. I merely spectate (and secretly root haha). I also created a google sheet to more easily track several stats like team records, season-by-season records for teams, all-time records, etc. I'm in the ninth season.

When simming, I mostly 'quick play' and then briefly review the box score
that game, then rinse and repeat until the day's games are completed. This helps me feel more invested and help know the players and the teams, while it not taking too long to finish a season. For the world series or tiebreaker games I'll usually real-time sim it, but I might start watching sims eventually.

It's cool to hear what other people are doing in these 'spectator leagues'
Old 11-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #20
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just curious how many of you play the game in spectator mode. By spectator mode I mean, you don't run a team as a manager or GM, but simply watch your league play out as a fan or commissioner. I've been playing this way now since OOTP 15 or there about. I love it. I pick a random game every day of the season to watch. Sometimes I do so by series and other times I simply pick a single game to watch when I see an intriguing pitching matchup, or I know a batter has a hitting streak etc.

I stay for the most part hands off and let the game do its thing. In some leagues I'm there to make decisions on when the league expands, dl length, whether rosters expand in September and other rules here and there.

I know Action Jackson plays this way. But, I would love to know how many others do as well. Thanks.
The reason I'm in the spectator/commissioner/historian category is because if I don't do take on that role, and I decide to manage a team, I will spend all my time getting bogged down in the minutiae of managing, get through a season and a half, and then the new OOTP will be out. I do it to save myself from myself, and my over the top obsessive compulsivity.

When I'm able to back off (which is very hard), I'm able to have games that last a long time, watch players get drafted, reach their peaks, hit the downside of their careers, and if they were great enough, make my HoF. I still vote for awards, manually select All-Star teams (may have to manually select awards too...See? I can't help myself ), and oversee things, but I try to back off as much as I can. I'm a rapid simmer 'til death though. I tried watching games, and quickly lost interest. I like to occasionally check out pitching matchups, like I used to do with the morning paper IRL, which has now morphed into MLB dot com, but I like to get through a season, and spend my immersion time pouring over the stats. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Spectator/Commissioner/Historian mode, Random Debut Historical, and speed simming with lots of swimming in stats. Definitely not for everybody, but it's my comfort zone. Who knows, maybe I'll figure out a different way to enjoy the game, but for now this is where it's at for me.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote