Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
mrowland
Minors (Rookie Ball)

An insane amount of passed balls

I was hesitant to make a bug report out of this because I don't know if it is a bug or if there is some setting that needs to be changed. See the picture I've attached.

I started this simulation from today, 9/28, as a LIVE start, ended the 2019 season and advanced on to 2020. I don't typically pay attention to defensive stats, but I noticed that one of the games I simulated, my team won on a walk off, scoring 2 in the ninth and 1 in the 10th. All 3 runs came via a passed ball. I looked at the box score and the Chicago catcher, James McCann, had 5 passed balls in the game. My catcher, Salvador Perez, had 3. I decided to look up the "leaders" in this category, and to my shock, there were two catchers already over 100! On May 2!!

I have made no modifications to the structure of this league, except to turn down the injury setting to Low.

Is there any way to fix this issue? I know passed balls happen but this is more passed balls than my son's rec-league little league game (and there are TONS of passed balls)....
Attached Images
mrowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Check league totals and associated modifiers.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
mrowland
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I did a little more testing. I started 3 more leagues, this time all 3 were at the beginning of 2019. I modified nothing and just simulated until June 1. The leaders are now in line with realistic stats, with the "leader" coming in a 9 passed balls. All three simulations were like this.

I then started 3 more leagues, this time all of them LIVE starts, changed no settings. Fast forward to June 1 of 2020, and the same thing as before is happening: over 150 passed balls for the leader.

There has to be something in the settings of the LIVE start that is screwing up the fielding stats. The ratings of the players don't seem to be off either. They look normal.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
mrowland
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Check league totals and associated modifiers.
The passed ball modifer was over 3000. I have no idea what that means, I don't know what it is relative to.

I clicked on "restore to default" and it changed it to 1.0. But I don't know what a baseline should be, not sure what this new setting will do.

I'm sure there is something modified due to the LIVE start function. What would be appropriate modifiers?
Old 09-30-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
phenom
Hall Of Famer

I also started a Live Start league yesterday that for some reason inflated the passed balls modifier to over 2500. This resulted in a season total of over 2000 passed balls for the leader in the league, with every qualifying catcher having over 1000 passed balls in the 2020 season.

Is the game for some reason blowing the passed balls modifier to hell all of a sudden?

phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
phenom
Hall Of Famer

Started another Live Start. Once I hit preseason 2020 passed balls modifier shot to 488 from 1.279

phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
Gruber_Tagged_Him
Minors (Triple A)

This might be my favorite oddball bug ever, assuming it is one. Like they mandated that catchers had to wear golf gloves instead of baseball gloves...
Gruber_Tagged_Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:53 PM   #8
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Whoa, yeah, that looks wrong.

The modifier should be around 1, so if you're seeing it blow past the hundred or thousand mark, you got a problem there. Easiest is to just reset it to 1, and the next time the auto-calc runs it should restore it. But we can certainly have a look to see what might be happening in the live starts to get out of whack.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:07 PM   #9
ehencley
Minors (Single A)

Yep had the same thing happen to me on a live start yesterday. It happens after the year flips to 2020.

Totally unrelated for the crowd... is there a good source for league totals for 2019 to simulate the home run explosion?
ehencley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:18 PM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrowland View Post
The passed ball modifer was over 3000. I have no idea what that means, I don't know what it is relative to.

I clicked on "restore to default" and it changed it to 1.0. But I don't know what a baseline should be, not sure what this new setting will do.

I'm sure there is something modified due to the LIVE start function. What would be appropriate modifiers?
That looks buggish. PB totals for 2018 were 370 for 2019 349. It's too bad that this is not one of the LT that shows in game. Internally it may wrongly be a low number ie 0.2-0.3 which would cause this (0.2 X 3000 = 600).

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 09-30-2019, 06:19 PM   #11
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehencley View Post
Yep had the same thing happen to me on a live start yesterday. It happens after the year flips to 2020.

Totally unrelated for the crowd... is there a good source for league totals for 2019 to simulate the home run explosion?
Baseball Reference

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...MLB/2019.shtml

RichW

Old 10-01-2019, 05:23 AM   #12
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Whoa; I thought something was odd.

Why would this change all of the sudden? Sort of worried that there could be other modifiers spiking. I do not like to, nor really ever get into manually messing with the game modifiers, but this is sort of concerning.

Could this have something to do with the league evolution settings? Is it possible that there are some other "Macro-level" modifiers being over-weighted past the start season?
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:26 AM   #13
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

And thanks for checking-in on this Matt.

-Cal
Old 10-01-2019, 08:47 AM   #14
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
Whoa; I thought something was odd.

Why would this change all of the sudden? Sort of worried that there could be other modifiers spiking. I do not like to, nor really ever get into manually messing with the game modifiers, but this is sort of concerning.

Could this have something to do with the league evolution settings? Is it possible that there are some other "Macro-level" modifiers being over-weighted past the start season?
Yeah, a few of the other modifiers may also fail, since we don't get complete data through the season so they end up blowing up since in some cases the league might think that there were only like 7 PB in the season.

We'll certainly look to fix this going forward, but I would suggest that you go to the league settings/stats page and reset to default. That's the best solution for this at the moment. You may also need to run the same thing through the minor leagues as well, depending on when exactly you started the game it's possible some of their modifiers may be off as well.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #15
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Ok, will do; Thanks for the note Matt.

-Cal