Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

FHM 6 Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer
 
bwburke94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Belchertown, MA, USA
Posts: 3,914
Thanks: 259
Thanked 1,456x in 928 posts
Active rosters to 26 - Implement via league evolution?

Link to NBC Sports article discussing the subject. Active rosters likely going to 26 players for the 2020 season, with expanded rosters reducing to 28 players.

In the likely event that this is implemented in real life, it would be possible to "hardcode" the end-of-year-1 league evolution in OOTP 20, as we did in OOTP 13 with the Astros move to the AL. My question isn't whether it's possible, because we've done it before; my question is whether we'll do it again.

As was the case in OOTP 13, those who turn off the relevant section of league evolution would not see any changes.
__________________
Normal sig coming back when I have the time to update it.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
mgom27 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
a5ehren
Bat Boy
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
Thanks: 8
Thanked 13x in 5 posts
I was going to ask the same thing.
a5ehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
r0nster
Hall Of Famer
 
r0nster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,720
Thanks: 783
Thanked 699x in 485 posts
you can do this easily on your own and only have to do it once. Its easy to do.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
Hooray Saturday
Minors (Double A)
 
Hooray Saturday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 122
Thanks: 37
Thanked 62x in 30 posts
there are also talking about a limit of 13 pitchers on the 26 man roster. as well as upping the minimum batters faced to 3 for a reliever. I like all these ideas and hope they make it in to real life and OOTP.
Hooray Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
mgom27 (03-07-2019), mitchkenn (03-08-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
r0nster
Hall Of Famer
 
r0nster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,720
Thanks: 783
Thanked 699x in 485 posts
this should help you accomplish what you looking for
Attached Images
Image 
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
mitchkenn (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
tejdog1
All Star Starter
 
tejdog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 1,428
Thanks: 376
Thanked 625x in 339 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooray Saturday View Post
there are also talking about a limit of 13 pitchers on the 26 man roster. as well as upping the minimum batters faced to 3 for a reliever. I like all these ideas and hope they make it in to real life and OOTP.
This rule is terrible.
Bullpen specialization is also terrible, but that rule is worse.
__________________
It's amazing
How you make your face just like a wall
How you take your heart and turn it off
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
7 thanks for this post:
BoofBonser26 (03-07-2019), Caporegime (03-07-2019), Galeg (03-07-2019), low (03-06-2019), Mike D (03-08-2019), pgjocki (03-09-2019), wallewalls (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:04 PM   #7
low
Hall Of Famer
 
low's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 3,174
Thanks: 1,008
Thanked 9,230x in 2,852 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
This rule is terrible.
Bullpen specialization is also terrible, but that rule is worse.
Agreed. I wonder how they're going to police all the fake injuries that are going to occur. You want to improve speed of play? Roster limits or less warmup pitches. Shouldn't these guys be warm when they come in from the bullpen anyways? Either way, this potential new rule is stupid.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #8
JaBurns
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,231
Thanks: 3,659
Thanked 571x in 441 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
this should help you accomplish what you looking for
2076 in your league is impressive.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
r0nster
Hall Of Famer
 
r0nster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,720
Thanks: 783
Thanked 699x in 485 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
2076 in your league is impressive.
the point of the picture is to show we can make the changes that the original post wanted. He didn't have to wait for Markus or the team to make the changes

I am in preseason of 2079 awaiting OOTPXX as I just stopped playing it for a 2 week vacation from game as it were

Last edited by r0nster; 03-06-2019 at 07:10 PM.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #10
TomVeal
All Star Reserve
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 602
Thanks: 77
Thanked 278x in 183 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
the point of the picture is to show we can make the changes that the original post wanted. He didn't have to wait for Markus or the team to make the changes

I am in preseason of 2079 awaiting OOTPXX as I just stopped playing it for a 2 week vacation from game as it were
It would be harder, though, to limit teams to 13 pitchers (though I don't imagine that the AI would often want more), and there's no way to implement the three-batter rule, which strikes me as monumentally stupid. As someone has already said, limit relievers to, say, three warmup pitches after they come in. I'd also require them to start walking to the mound no later than when the manager leaves the dugout to make the change.

I'm surprised that the union doesn't object to the rule. After all, it diminishes work opportunities for LOOGY's.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:52 PM   #11
endgame
Hall Of Famer
 
endgame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 16,473
Thanks: 4,370
Thanked 4,044x in 2,179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Link to NBC Sports article discussing the subject. Active rosters likely going to 26 players for the 2020 season, with expanded rosters reducing to 28 players.

In the likely event that this is implemented in real life, it would be possible to "hardcode" the end-of-year-1 league evolution in OOTP 20, as we did in OOTP 13 with the Astros move to the AL. My question isn't whether it's possible, because we've done it before; my question is whether we'll do it again.

As was the case in OOTP 13, those who turn off the relevant section of league evolution would not see any changes.
After my mind stopped spinning, seeing your post in tandem with advocacy of league evolution, I smelled my drink, checked my tobacco pouch, and of course then realized you were referring to real league evolution. Yes, I'd imagine that should be implemented for those adhering to historical rules and developments.
__________________
"Try again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett
_____________________________________________
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:58 PM   #12
backspace4353
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 57
Thanks: 2
Thanked 23x in 11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooray Saturday View Post
there are also talking about a limit of 13 pitchers on the 26 man roster. as well as upping the minimum batters faced to 3 for a reliever. I like all these ideas and hope they make it in to real life and OOTP.

I can't see the minimum of three batters for obvious reasons. The AL could get away with it however the NL would have problems. The main one is its the bottom of the eight with two out and you hold a one run lead, your starter had pitched his last pitch at 112pc, as he got the first two batters out however has just walked the last two batters and faces two out with two on. You need to go to the pen and bring in a reliever. The reliever gives up the tying run and gets the next batter out to end the inning. Top of the ninth you load the bases with two out and who is coming up to bat, you guessed it, that reliever, meanwhile you have your best pinch hitter on the bench and can't use him because your reliever had just pitched to two batters in the last inning and has to face one more.
backspace4353 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
Mike D (03-08-2019), pgjocki (03-09-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 01:39 AM   #13
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer
 
Le Grande Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Crossing the Rubicon
Posts: 14,736
Thanks: 41
Thanked 4,409x in 2,484 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Link to NBC Sports article discussing the subject. Active rosters likely going to 26 players for the 2020 season, with expanded rosters reducing to 28 players.
Hasn't happened yet. Just because they are discussing it doesn't mean the suggestions will be adopted. Best to wait and see.
__________________
.
"You're sad that people are mean? Well, I'm sorry, the world isn't one big liberal arts campus."
— Reality, South Park

"You think you're so great with your maths and your science and your facts? What about feelings, huh?"
"Yeah. Feelings are more important that facts!"
— Penelope, Simon, Modern Educayshun
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:21 AM   #14
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer
 
Matt Arnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Here and there
Posts: 8,792
Thanks: 983
Thanked 10,766x in 4,265 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace4353 View Post
I can't see the minimum of three batters for obvious reasons. The AL could get away with it however the NL would have problems. The main one is its the bottom of the eight with two out and you hold a one run lead, your starter had pitched his last pitch at 112pc, as he got the first two batters out however has just walked the last two batters and faces two out with two on. You need to go to the pen and bring in a reliever. The reliever gives up the tying run and gets the next batter out to end the inning. Top of the ninth you load the bases with two out and who is coming up to bat, you guessed it, that reliever, meanwhile you have your best pinch hitter on the bench and can't use him because your reliever had just pitched to two batters in the last inning and has to face one more.
From what I read, the 3 batter minimum doesn't carry over between innings. So it's more like "3 batters or finish an inning", so you could still pinch hit in that above case.

Of course, that point is moot as well since they're obviously bringing in a universal DH too, which everyone loves, right?
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:25 AM   #15
r0nster
Hall Of Famer
 
r0nster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,720
Thanks: 783
Thanked 699x in 485 posts
I despise the new rules the MLB is trying. If they really wanted to shorten the game or improve the speed of the game then dump the commercials as that is 3 to 4 minutes these days so you can add up how much time that is on its own. Since I love History I decided a while back to look up game times and reasoning for the longer length of time at each turn, Radio used to not have commercials and the game went from 90 minutes to a bit over 2 hours and commercials were done by the announcers at that time then it became a full fledged commercials which boosted the game length time up to 2 hours and 30 minutes as TV did the same exact thing as well only they would cut to a commercial then each commercial break would get longer thus longer games. Even back during the radio days they KNEW what was causing the length of games to get longer. Revenue for the station and game. No way will they touch that. So they will blame other things and say the changes are for the fans and players. ridiculous such a scam we buy hook line and sinker
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
jasonn29tn14 (03-08-2019), Ormondbeachdan (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #16
bailey
All Star Starter
 
bailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 107
Thanked 523x in 294 posts
If they go to 26 with the extra man being a batter can 2 DH's be far behind? One for the pitcher and one for the catcher.
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
pgjocki (03-09-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #17
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer
 
Le Grande Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Crossing the Rubicon
Posts: 14,736
Thanks: 41
Thanked 4,409x in 2,484 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
I despise the new rules the MLB is trying. If they really wanted to shorten the game or improve the speed of the game then dump the commercials as that is 3 to 4 minutes these days so you can add up how much time that is on its own.
I can post the data again, but it is interesting to view the average time length of a standard game across all leagues. Asian leagues have game times longer than MLB's; the affiliated minor leagues have shorter lengths.
__________________
.
"You're sad that people are mean? Well, I'm sorry, the world isn't one big liberal arts campus."
— Reality, South Park

"You think you're so great with your maths and your science and your facts? What about feelings, huh?"
"Yeah. Feelings are more important that facts!"
— Penelope, Simon, Modern Educayshun
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #18
TomVeal
All Star Reserve
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 602
Thanks: 77
Thanked 278x in 183 posts
Has anyone anywhere considered the possibility that game lengths are a product of audience preferences? After spending $50 per person for tickets, plus the cost of parking, for an afternoon at the ballpark, does a fan really want to be sent home after 90 minutes? I haven't thought about this hypothesis deeply, but I wonder whether anybody else has thought about it at all.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #19
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer
 
Le Grande Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Crossing the Rubicon
Posts: 14,736
Thanks: 41
Thanked 4,409x in 2,484 posts
I found the 2017 data. Below is the average game length in minutes for normal duration games (8½–9 innings, 51–54 outs) in that league. Also included is the minimum and maximum length, standard deviation, and number of games in the sample.
Code:
Lg     Mean   Min   Max  StDev    n=
------------------------------------
CPBL  205.8   147   318   28.0   215
KBO   196.5   129   290   24.1   654
NPB   188.1   127   266   22.5   771
------------------------------------
MEX   185.4   103   278   24.2   714
------------------------------------
MLB   185.2   125   273   20.9  2247
------------------------------------
INT   167.9   118   233   18.8   794
PCL   173.4   121   252   20.0   954
EAS   161.8   114   283   18.9   637
SOU   165.0   117   240   18.9   547
TEX   165.6   112   230   17.9   479
CAL   173.2   116   278   19.4   502
CAR   168.9   115   254   20.1   534
FSL   157.7   109   220   18.9   635
MID   168.8   107   229   20.1   926
SAL   165.4   107   233   19.8   760
------------------------------------
NYP   169.0   122   243   19.9   406
NWL   177.4   125   238   19.9   274
APP   169.8    99   239   21.2   272
PIO   175.4   129   258   24.2   277
------------------------------------
ALPB  175.7   127   310   21.6   436
AAIB  171.2   112   243   19.7   487
CAA   187.4   117   334   27.9   257
FRON  166.4   110   298   24.2   463
------------------------------------
AFL   155.6   116   209   16.9    83
DWL   207.4   137   290   28.1   137
MPL   192.7   128   258   23.1   243
RCPL  182.0   139   236   24.9    22
VWL   208.0   148   281   27.2   214
ABL   176.8   111   239   24.8    88
__________________
.
"You're sad that people are mean? Well, I'm sorry, the world isn't one big liberal arts campus."
— Reality, South Park

"You think you're so great with your maths and your science and your facts? What about feelings, huh?"
"Yeah. Feelings are more important that facts!"
— Penelope, Simon, Modern Educayshun
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
BoofBonser26 (03-09-2019), JaBurns (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #20
r0nster
Hall Of Famer
 
r0nster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,720
Thanks: 783
Thanked 699x in 485 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
It would be harder, though, to limit teams to 13 pitchers (though I don't imagine that the AI would often want more), and there's no way to implement the three-batter rule, which strikes me as monumentally stupid. As someone has already said, limit relievers to, say, three warmup pitches after they come in. I'd also require them to start walking to the mound no later than when the manager leaves the dugout to make the change.

I'm surprised that the union doesn't object to the rule. After all, it diminishes work opportunities for LOOGY's.
This might help you
Attached Images
Image 
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments