Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 01-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #1
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

Salary Cap Floor

What's the easiest way to avoid this nightmare? It seems almost automatic when playing as the Coyotes. I wish there was an option to turn it off, because I don't like signing free agents just to keep above the cap floor.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie45 View Post
What's the easiest way to avoid this nightmare? It seems almost automatic when playing as the Coyotes. I wish there was an option to turn it off, because I don't like signing free agents just to keep above the cap floor.
There isn't really an "easy" way despite playing. I mean, not having players on two way contracts will help as well, but the Coyotes are running on a shoe-string budget right now and they are running the line by choice. With the Coyotes though you should be able to leverage some picks/prospects into a good player that could help your team in the short and long run.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:45 AM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

Grabbing permanently/very long-term-injured players with a significant cap hit is an easy way to get your cap hit up in the first season, the AI will give them up very cheaply. Clowe, Franzen, Horton, Bolland, Clarkson, possibly Lupul, Grabovski, or Hossa.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

I generally try to build with young players, so I've just opted to resigning all quality players for slightly more than their demands.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
Kinsella19
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie45 View Post
I generally try to build with young players, so I've just opted to resigning all quality players for slightly more than their demands.
Although not optimal, you could always just sign a crappy FA and give him 10 mill for one season haha
Kinsella19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
Zyllyx
Minors (Rookie Ball)

You're basically hamstrung playing the Coyotes during the first season, largely because FHM4 doesn't have the capability to factor the cap hit from buying out Mike Ribeiro and Antoine Vermette into your overall budget. All you have is Dave Bolland's cap hit working for you, and he generally retires after the first season.

Moving Bolland to LTIR opens up a roster spot and you have three contract spots open. Best thing to do early is to watch the waiver wire and pick up salary if you can find it. But you won't have much leeway that first year other than to try and pick up someone else's bad contract via trade.

If you do end up signing some short term terrible contracts, be warned that you'll have Domi to resign (and he won't come cheap in the FHM version of him) for next season, and then OEL and half your roster will be due BIG paychecks the season after that. So don't cripple yourself in the short term.

Last edited by Zyllyx; 01-25-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

I can highly recommend Jeff’s approach—I’ve used it a few times with great success. Trade for a long term injury, ideally in the final year of their contract, and that way you get the cap hit but you’re also better placed for renewals etc. come the end of the season.
micpringle is offline   Reply With Quote