Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 02-01-2004, 07:53 PM   #121
CBLCardinals
OOTP Roster Team

Id like to see more in-game sounds! I feel they add excitement/atmosphere to the action.
CBLCardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 11:04 PM   #122
SirOrion
Minors (Triple A)

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but as a Commish I think it would be really helpful for the following items:

1) Allowing ST Export via FTP
2) Allowing GMs to offer Extensions to their own players, without the use of the Commish

Thanks for your time and effort!
Old 02-17-2004, 03:00 PM   #123
GoldenGlove
Major Leagues

MORE STATS, MORE STATS, MORE STATS!!!!
GoldenGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:16 PM   #124
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I think the only thing I "wish" for is some sort of graphical stadium interface or something like that. I know that's a bit more and I couldn't even figure out what or how to do that, but I know there was supposed to be a game a long time ago that allowed you to a build a stadium and showed you some different models.

That'd be cool.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:12 PM   #125
UD411Flyer
All Star Reserve

I'm not sure if this had been mentioned before, or in the 9 pages above.

I wouldn't call this my master wish list, but would put it out as a suggestion. In PS2, on Madden 2004, when negotating contracts you can have signing bonus, also having their contracts not being at a set amount.(i.e 3mil every year, for 5years). Instead, maybe year 1 into the contract you pay them a smaller portion and as the contract goes on, it goes up/ fluxuates. This would definately add to the realism...

Also, what about certain things in contracts? Rewards for making All-star, gettin MVP, POW, POM, etc....or even performance insentives....
AAA-Sacranton-WB Red Barons
ATGC-Orrville Red Riders
UD411Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 04:42 PM   #126
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoreau76
To the Devs

I would love to see some type of system where "Merchandising" is based off retention of star players. If a star player stays with your team for X number of years, then you get a lot more merchandising money. It would help those low markets that have star players and want to keep them, and it would help teams from making 300 trades every year shuffling around the top talent.
Just going back through this thread. Thoreau this is a great idea. Here's hoping it can be added at some point in time.

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

fan of the ISLANDIAN PRO ALLIANCE

Last edited by Dark Horse; 02-22-2004 at 06:22 PM.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 06:05 PM   #127
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Markmeister
I don't know if these have been mentioned before, but here are my wishes

1) I would like to see the .dat files for names and nicknames moved into the league folders.

I am currently playing a modern and an old-time league and use different name and nickname files for each league. Currently I have to change these files each time I change the leagues I am simming. If each league folder had its own data folder, I wouldn't have to do this. In addition, this would eliminate the chance of me forgetting to change the files.

2) I would love to see a home town .dat file added. I have altered the general info .csv file to add the home towns for one league, but would love it if the game took care of this automatically.
This is another idea that i hope is strongly considered. There are several fictional league (like the LBA, KBL, Jamaica League and Beta Baseball) that would benefit from having this functionality. It would save the commishes a lot of time from having to change names and data for rookies. Or for entire league at start up.

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

Last edited by Dark Horse; 02-22-2004 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:17 AM   #128
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Le Grande Orange
I'd like to see home field advantage get put in. As it stands now, each team's home and away records are completely randomized; there is no appreciable benefit to playing at one's home park (other than for the revenue from attendance). This is rather unrealistic.

There is a definite home field advantage in baseball, and though the value is not huge, it is there. Over 80% of all MLB teams in the 20th century have finished with better home records than road records. You'll never see this in OOTP - the figure will be right around the 50% "random" value, which is far too low. As a result it means each team's home and away record is really meaningless.

The big question is how could this be factored in.

I think it's time for the home field to get at least a little bit of the credit it deserves.
i wanted to bring this up again. i think LGO & i did some research on this a while back. The home field advantage should be something that is suttle when looking at one game. But after a season is over, it should be obvious that there is a slight advantage.

IRL (in general)
* A batter will have to get used to a hitting in a different stadium. The hitting backgrounds are different, etc. (suggested OOTP result - 1% penalty to visiting hitters' Contact rating)

* An umpire is more inclined to call close pitches for the home team. (suggested OOTP result - 1% bonus for home pitchers' Control rating and 1% bonus for home batters' Eye rating)

* As LGO stated, fielders know their home field better. (suggested OOTP result - 1% penalty to visitor infielders' Error Pct rating and 1% penalty to visiting outfielders' Range rating)

* In "clutch" situations, the fans will rise in support the home team. Players claim this makes a difference. (suggested OOTP result - variable bonus to home players' Clutch rating. To piggy back off what LGO's suggestion, make it 1% for every 20k fans in attendance - 2 or 3% max)

i set the bonuses and penalties at 1% to highlight that the effect should be slight. The home field advantage i'm suggesting shouldn't make any team invincible at home. But it would maybe affect 2, 3 or 4 plays. It And, in a few games, that would be enough for the home team to win a game, they'd lose in v5.

Come on. If we can have "clutch" and "poise" in the OOTP baseball world, surely we can have home field advantage.

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

Last edited by Dark Horse; 02-23-2004 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:48 AM   #129
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

Using 'winner' characteristic

Quote:
Originally posted by Henry
IRL a number of things woud happen if the team's best players were benched or sent to the minors to gain a draft position...

1. Fans would go balistic
2. Fan interest would go down
3. That would affect income
4. That would create bad PR
5. The loyalty of the players involved would tank
6. If none of the above turned things around, the Commissioner would get involved.

Let the game decide what tanking is...
This was posted in an older Tanking thread, i just brought it over because i think Henry hit on something.

1-2 happens in OOTP already and is reflected in fan interest going down. The problem is that the "fans" in OOTP are very forgiving and once you start winning again the fan interest goes up just as fast as it dropped. But this, to a certain extent, is realistic.

3 happens in OOTP already and is reflected in poor attendance and poor revenue. A tanker could drop his payroll low enough to avoid losing much money. Besides, there isn't much to spend money on in OOTP. So a GM isn't hurt by having negative virtual money making this no punishment for a tanker.

4-5 don't happen in OOTP right now. And this would be a great thing to add. Ideally, OOTP could have players look at the fan interest rating. And if it were too low, (perhaps instead of the play for a winner characteristic to could have a numeric value 0-100 like fan interest) a drafted player can say to a team, "Your team sucks i don't want to play for you. Trade me." Of course, similar to RL, if a drafted player is not signed by the end of the season, he becomes a free agent. i think IRL player goes back into the draft, that may be much harder to do. Free agents would also shun a team with a low FI, as would players on the offending team when contract extension time comes around.

As stated before, FI can go up fast once a losing team starts winning. So OOTP would have to slow down the rise in FI. But, i wouldn't want to punish teams that were legitimately bad (not tanking) by forcing the fan interest to remain too low. So my suggestion, piggy backing off Henry’s thoughts, is to create a PR rating. This PR rating would be used for the situations described above. It would be displayed on the Front Office screen like FI.

The PR rating would work like this: Every new team (before initial draft) has a PR rating of 80 (out of 100). i know FI starts at 65, but i would think a new team’s PR would be higher than the fan interest.

At the beginning of each month, the AI looks at each teams’ :

* starting rotation (if team uses less than 5 pitchers, the average of existing pitchers is used for empty slots)
* top two (3 for DH leagues) middle relievers (for this purpose setup men are considered middle relievers, this allows for some teams using one setup man and some using two)
* closer (if no closer, the average of top two middle relievers are used here, also)
* applicable starting lineups (depending on whether or not the league uses the DH)

That’s the 8 (or 9 for DH leagues) most significant pitchers and hitters being considered. (AI would also have to take into consideration players on the DL. If a player on DL is higher rated than a player in lineup or rotation, the AI could assume that player would be playing. To do this DL would have to be restricted to major league players with a customizable level of injury.) The AI counts the stars for each player. (If an injured player is left in a slot he counts as 0 stars.)

The total value would be the sum of the right and left handed lineups and two times the sum of the pitchers. This places equal weight on pitchers and hitters.

Gold stars and blue stars would have the same values. 5 Gold Stars = 5 Blue Stars. (This simulates the hype that a top prospect gets.)

Then it compares the each team’s value to the average value each team in the league has. Teams with an above average value would increase it’s PR, teams with below average value would suffer a drop in PR. i would suggest a 2 (or 3) to 1 ratio for the amount of decrease vs. increase. So if league average is 50 and Team A’s value is 51 and Team B’s value is 49, then Team A’s PR would go up 1 and Team B’s PR would go down 2 (or 3). This would mean it would take a tanker twice (or three) as long to rebuild a broken PR. The amount of increase and decrease in PR could be customizable.

In theory, this forces GMs to field a competitive team to avoid losing too much PR. And since it is checked throughout the season, there would be less extreme dumping at the trade deadline. With a low PR rating, a GM would have trouble signing rookies or free agents and resigning it’s own players. So even if it got high draft picks, the best rookies might not want to play for them. And even with a few top rookies, the GM would have a hard time getting top talent to come to the team. This becomes a slippery slope, because the longer they field sub par teams, the lower the PR goes, and the harder it becomes to sign players.

In an online league, if a team’s PR got too low, a GM could petition to the commish to reset his/her PR. At which point the commish could:

* raise the PR up, if he thought the GM (because of inexperience, maybe) just made some horrible decisions or had some incredibly bad luck.

* say, “You got yourself into this mess, get yourself out or give up the team.”

A league rule could even be set up that says once a team’s PR got below a certain level the owner was immediately dismissed. And with a new owner the PR could be reset to 80, to reflect giving the new ownership the benefit of the doubt.

NOTE: Actually, rookies could show the old winner characteristics.
"Doesn’t matter" would mean that his numerical value is between 0 and 39.
"Sometimes" would be between 40 and 79.
"And need a winner" would mean his numerical value is 80.

This would add some risk taking to the draft. If a team’s PR is 50 and the top rookie sometimes needs a winner. There is a good chance that he won’t accept any offer from you.

More players (especially top players) would need to be created with Sometimes and Need a Winner characteristics

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

Last edited by Dark Horse; 02-23-2004 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:03 PM   #130
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

This is an idea originally posted by Portlander in another thread. i added a bit to it. Allow us to have special lineups. You wouldn't even have to change the interface much. If league is non-DH, we never used DH lineups. And vice-versa for DH leagues. So then teams now have four lineups, vs. R, vs. L, special 1, special 2.

Then on the schedule screen you choose which lineup you want to use for that day. The option would be regular, special 1 or special 2. The schedule would default to regular so there's no need to choose for every day of the season. If you choose regular lineup, the ai will choose between vs. L or vs. R depending on the starting pitcher, like it does now. If you choose special 1 or special 2 the ai puts that lineup in regardless to who is pitching.

This is beneficial for online leagues because it allows us to rest players and set our lineups the way we want it. Also, this allows us to take advantage special matchups without risking the other games on the schedule.

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

Old 03-06-2004, 05:14 AM   #131
raindelay7
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I would like option to automatically play national anthems before games (US and/or Canadian , of course). Also, "take me out to ballgame" for 7th inning stretch would be cool too.
raindelay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 04:14 PM   #132
jbmagic
Hall Of Famer

i would to see ootp 6 have spring trainings games ..thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 10:02 AM   #133
thehatfield
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene Church
...no option to play the "infield in" AND "outfield in" when the winning run is on third...can't steal or hit-and-run with 2 strikes...and can't steal home.
This is the thing that gets me and its very basic - all options should be open to me, the manager, no matter the count or number of outs in any particular inning. Maybe you can set up an "assist" mode for people who have no idea how baseball is played which removes low-percentage options, but every once in a while I might want to put a runner in motion with two strikes and less than two outs to perhaps avoid a double play on a grounder.

Having a "muscle up" option, a "take sign" & a "go the other way" option for batters would also be nice adds.
thehatfield is offline   Reply With Quote