Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #41
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Your opinion may differ.

Don't assume that because you don't like something nobody else does either.
No assumption was made. Just proves people can have a wrong opinion.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #42
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
Whatever............ yawn
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #43
tds787
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Haha I'm definitely going to use that line, albeit sarcastically
tds787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #44
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

I understand there will be some disagreements about the HTML based on personal preferences, so I'll elaborate on the v13 HTML concerns with some examples of why I believe some users dislike the OOTP13 HTML and feel this was a step backwards. Hopefully this will communicate some of the concerns a bit better, and I'll also mention a few nice new features of the OOTP13 HTML to ensure they remain in future versions of the game.

Banner Imprint
First of all the banner size - the OOTP13 league banner takes about 25% more screen real estate than the same banner in OOTP11 when using browser zoom level 150. Whether you are a web designer or a lowly OOTP on-line league owner that is not a positive design change, especially when you use a tiny screen net-book or mobile device to access your league website.

OOTP11 .................... OOTP13

Default Font & Font Size
The use of the size 13 arial font in v13 versus the size 11 verdana font in v11 may have been a function over form choice to appease the older users with poor eyesight. I don't mind arial, but IMO verdana looks more more modern, professional, and impressive. Regardless of that, the font size difference is the bigger change here, and I think a size 13 font is just too big & awkward looking. I'm also one of those older users with poor eyesight and know just how easy it is to adjust my screen if I have any issues reading a website with regularly sized fonts, and don't yet have to buy special games with HTML for the eye-site impaired.

Adding a nice background image makes the league name text look awful
I like the B&W baseball image background in the banner (though it does take up too much screen size as mentioned above), but this HTML improvement suddenly makes the league name text on top of it look awful in comparison to the OOTP11 banner. This is is not subjective statement either, the league name text now looks like dozens of OOTP leagues have suddenly converted to an old version of Baseball Mogul or downgraded to OOTP97. Yes, I know there was no OOTP97.

The dark page backgrounds
This is definitely more of a personal preference area, but based on comments from others I've heard this described as "garish", "distracting", and "hard on the eyes". It's up to the user whether they think this background looks classier & more professional than this background.

90's website style "More is always better" baseball image bullets
This is a very minor complaint, but the baseball image bullet points remind me of the cluttered personal website design philosophy of many 1990's Geo-city sites. They look absolutely fine, but IMO are extraneous and distracting to the eyes. Users care about the news headlines and the content/quality of the articles, not the quality of the bullet point images. At least they are not dancing baseball animated gifs though!

Some credit is in order though as well. The new "Preseason Predictions" page is certainly a neat idea, though it needs some more work to actually be useful due to spring training rosters not looking very much like opening day rosters. Sortable stats and ratings appear to now be built into the vanilla v13 HTML, a huge advance from v11 where users had to add that functionality manually. The occasional historic league news story is a fantastic addition and I'd love to see more of that.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #45
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Killebrew, thank you for taking time to illustrate my complaints.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #46
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Seems like all of those concerns with the new html (except for the banner size) can be modified to personal taste via some css editing and replacing the baseball dots.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #47
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koohead View Post
Seems like all of those concerns with the new html (except for the banner size) can be modified to personal taste via some css editing and replacing the baseball dots.
Yes, just like past versions of OOTP you can customize a lot of the look of OOTP. The problem for online leagues is that you need to make these significant CSS edits to the vanilla game everytime you install a OOTP patch or reinstall the game, and then you have to get all the other commishes to update their local copies after every patch as well. It's a managable PITA for solo play, but very awkward (Edit: Nearly impossible) for coordinating commish game file versions in an online league.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #48
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

Dola - One other HTML issue I did not list above:
If you do like to edit your HTML templates by adding extra links in the OOTP HTML (like a link to your leagues home page, OOTPOU, STATSLAB, etc.) the new link section below the banner in OOTP13 will not handle more than one or two extra links before the line of links 'wraps' and half the links display partially in the dark blue backgound of the page. I don't have an example of this now but I think can attach a screenshot on Wednesday when I'm next scheduled to generate the HTML for a league. It looks really bad anyway, and the issue did not come up in the v11 HTML.

Update: Here's the image:

Last edited by Killebrew; 06-22-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #49
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killebrew View Post
Yes, just like past versions of OOTP you can customize a lot of the look of OOTP. The problem for online leagues is that you need to make these significant CSS edits to the vanilla game everytime you install a OOTP patch or reinstall the game, and then you have to get all the other commishes to update their local copies after every patch as well. It's a managable PITA for solo play, but very awkward (Edit: Nearly impossible) for coordinating commish game file versions in an online league.
great points.
Kinda have to stop and laugh at how much time we all spend tweaking this game. I think about all of the time we've spent running simulations to tweak the various modifiers and what not. here i'm proposing editing mass css edits. Probably not alone when I say I've spent more time "setting up" my game than playing it so far.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #50
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Doesn't matter what changes you make, you'll never please everyone.

I like the less busy layout of the HTML reports. The font size/style doesn't make much difference to me. And I'm in the "older and not as great as it used to be" eyesight crowd.

They make iOOTP for mobile devices, full OOTP for laptops/desktops. That's hardly substantiation for arguing banner size.

The rest of your points are good, but most of that stuff comes down to personal preference again, and as previously stated, you just can't please everyone. I guess the real solution would be to give the user a choice of 2 or 3 fonts/banner sizes/etc somewhere in preferences, but then I know nothing about programming so that may not even be possible.

At the end of the day, hopefully Markus & Co can find a happy medium.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:36 AM   #51
bailey
Hall Of Famer

On the Salary arbitration page: a button to offer contract extension. Rather than go to the player profile, down to action and to click on offer extension.

Also on the same page, if you extend the contract of an arbitration-eligible player there is a convenient # mark to remind you.
For free agents whose contract is extended, no such # appears. Would like to see the # appear here, too.

Last edited by bailey; 06-20-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: added idea
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #52
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Something I've asked for since ootp10 is for customizable Team pages. Particularly the banner and background images. The addition of the using of team colors was a great improvement this year. A nice touch. However, if we could take it one step further and use the background & banner=[%TEAM_NAME_NICK] token to load the banner and background image for each team, we could customize our team pages individually. Similar to the way you get a different look for each team on mlb.com or milb.com sites.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #53
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
On the Salary arbitration page: a button to offer contract extension. Rather than go to the player profile, down to action and to click on offer extension.

Right click on the players name, select "offer extension" from the drop down that appears.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #54
Stats_Enthusiast
Minors (Triple A)

Design:

All-Star page. Playoffs/World Series page.

The All-Star page would come ripe with history, stats, MVP's, cities it was played in, weather on the day... basically if a user can think of it, they should see it, etc.

Playoffs page, same as above.

Thank you.
NFL - Bears
Stats_Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #55
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

How about making the League All-star logos more prominant. like on All-star baseball cards?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #56
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Is anyone else able to make new league logos work in-game? I've been having issues.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #57
Nugget699
Major Leagues

Quote:
Killebrew, thank you for taking time to illustrate my complaints.
If you tinker with the style sheet a bit you can get something more to your tastes.
Nugget699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #58
Isryion
Major Leagues

Overall, I much prefer 13 over 12. I do see some of the finer points that Killebrew makes, but I'll add this:

Until more customization (more than just skins) is written into the game in user afriendly manner (I was shocked I couldn't easily change fonts, but I know next to nothing on the programming side) you're probably going to be going back and forth on these items each year as the crowd that is disgruntled about it is more vociferous in their opinions.
Isryion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #59
Spindel
All Star Reserve

This is a small request, but it would be neat to have player's Major League debuts listed in their histories.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #60
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindel View Post
This is a small request, but it would be neat to have player's Major League debuts listed in their histories.
Agreed, that would be pretty cool.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote