Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods

OOTP Mods Logos, roster packs, historical databases, OOTP tools, FaceGen files... it's all here!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:51 PM   #61
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I think the media money makes teams spend more, from what I'm seeing. If it weren't that, things would be more sensible. The budgets themselves don't seem to increase spending, it seems to be media mone. So a way to combat that, would be to smooth out the media money and divide it into the number of years that the media deal is for. That way, the teams can only spend that particular amount year after year, rather than each year..which is probably more realistic. Past versions of the spreadsheet have accounted for that, I only changed it, because I wanted the game to basically run on its own and if you never go back to the spreadsheet again.

But in retrospect, that might be the most dramatic change of all. To divide the media money up, rather than giving it as one lump sum annually.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:38 PM   #62
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

The mod link in your signature on page 1 does not link to the file. I'm interested in taking a look at your latest version and have followed your progress reports all along. I just haven't had a chance to download and look.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Beta tester, OOTP 2007-2023 and iOOTP 2011-2014.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:48 PM   #63
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Good times.

Version 5.7 is the newest one.

Here's a link to the change list and such alike.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #64
dl5175
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
I think the media money makes teams spend more, from what I'm seeing. If it weren't that, things would be more sensible. The budgets themselves don't seem to increase spending, it seems to be media mone. So a way to combat that, would be to smooth out the media money and divide it into the number of years that the media deal is for. That way, the teams can only spend that particular amount year after year, rather than each year..which is probably more realistic. Past versions of the spreadsheet have accounted for that, I only changed it, because I wanted the game to basically run on its own and if you never go back to the spreadsheet again.

But in retrospect, that might be the most dramatic change of all. To divide the media money up, rather than giving it as one lump sum annually.
I actually did that, I put the total in the media contract line and 1 years worth in the media revenue this year and when I finished day it change the media revenue this year line to the big number in media contract I even had 5 years int the years line.
dl5175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:32 AM   #65
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I think what you'll probably need to do is to divide the media revenue into however many years, put that as the media contract in both categories, because the game does it annually, rather than as an actual contract like it ought to. Perhaps because that makes too much sense, who knows.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:42 AM   #66
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Provided the next iteration of this goes well, I'll release v6.0 sometime in mid-January. I've so far come up with a new ticket price mechanism, rather than the arbitrary thing we used in earlier versions, now the ticket prices are set based on MSA, records over the past two years, playoff appearances and World Series titles and your stadium rating. So it's far more realistic than before, which I like.

I'll also break the new one down so that media money is smoothed out, rather than being lumpy like we've been doing. Though I have no real evidence that it increases payrolls (I increased my current league's average salaries at the same time that I started with the new sheet), I figure it might be better safe than sorry having that much money floating around for teams to waste and I'm intrigued to see how it responds.

So it won't come out for a while, but...I just wanted to appraise of my progress.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:33 AM   #67
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Here's Version 6.0.

The whole thing is tweaked. Basically, when you look at the new version, you'll notice that all of those gargantuan sums of money are no longer inputted into the game. I found a way to smooth it out, because the prior result was having computer teams spending tons because we were giving them all of their media deal annually, rather than breaking it up like it should be done.

So right now, you should input the media amount in this version over a five year period, meaning the amount that the game calculates for media money is the same for each of the five years you run that particular sim. The other numbers will adapt on their own.

What's nice about this is that teams will now lose money and be in the hole if they go too far in spending their available cash. You do have to the heavy lifting of inputting the info, but you can input it once and never have to do it again, if you smooth the media money out over a longer period. The only reason I encourage you to do the work to do it every 5-10 years is, the assumptions of the model are affected by team performance and so, lest you ignore it.

Eliminated the revenue sharing formula too and altered the way media money is spread out, though the larger media market teams have a distinct advantage.

I think this version provides the sort of realism I was attempting with v.1.

Lemme know what you think and if you use it and how.
Attached Files
File Type: xls DC_Financial_Model_V6.xls (52.5 KB, 289 views)
Old 01-06-2008, 12:49 AM   #68
dl5175
Major Leagues

I do not see Toronto and Tampa on here?
dl5175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:41 AM   #69
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I didn't make the new one MLB ready. It was the one I was using, so you'll have to alter it to make it reflect whatever setup you're trying to use. I just setup it using my demo league and my demo league has 32 teams and teams have moved around a bit.

But the tools that you need to do that -- or just a matter of copying and pasting from the other ones into this one -- is all you'll need to do that.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #70
tkirch
Minors (Double A)

DC, you were on track with something I was working on. The question I have is, where do you get the DMA numbers. Because I have much higher DMA numbers than you do.
I would think the DMA would be higher than the market.
My thought is the Market is city size while DMA is the area around. I can get DMA numbers and they seem higher than you have.
tkirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:33 AM   #71
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Here you go..it was on Page 2.
Attached Files
File Type: xls 2007-2008_DMA_Ranks.xls (151.0 KB, 225 views)
Old 01-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #72
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkirch View Post
DC, you were on track with something I was working on. The question I have is, where do you get the DMA numbers. Because I have much higher DMA numbers than you do.
I would think the DMA would be higher than the market.
My thought is the Market is city size while DMA is the area around. I can get DMA numbers and they seem higher than you have.
DMA is the TV Market. It's determined by Nielsen's and it's smaller than the metropolitan area. Because it's called Designated Market Area and sometimes, you can merge two smaller, co-located DMAs can be combined to make a larger.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #73
biggerboat
Bat Boy

Dark Cloud's Financial Market Model Version 1.0

Please forgive my rookie knowledge base, just trying to make sure I have a handle on what this program does. It sounds awesome. So, by inputting the data from the spreadsheet that is in orange into the game, teams will know develop more realistic spending habits based on market size? Is the data entered just once and before free agency? Are things you mentioned like Bandwagon happening behind the scenes?
Sorry for the newbie question, thank you for your help.
biggerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #74
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

No problem, glad to help.

Yes, if you put the information in orange into the game, teams will have more realistic spending habits based on their market sizes. You should do it before free agency and do it every five years, as that's how the newest sheet is set for.

Do turn off revenue sharing, though, if you're going to use it or it sorta negates all of this. And set your cash maximum to zero or to some ungodly amount so that no matter what happens, the money teams have doesn't go to some other club through revenue sharing or something weird the game tries to do.

So yeah, that's it. Bandwagon is embedded into the formula and the game does tweak the numbers like fan interest and stuff on its own, so the baseline numbers you set in Year 1, will be managed by the game from Year 1-5 and heading into season six, the spreadsheet will take account how the team has done over the previous timeframe and assess a new number to operate from.

So using this, it's better to do well when you know it's time for a new calculation because you're stuck with say, a big spending spree for the subsequent five years if you go crazy. It factors spending into account, too.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #75
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

OOTPFin7

I've created OOTPFin7. It's the simplest, sleekest and most effective version of the tool.

It's only setup for you to input for one team. But you could rinse, wash and repeat for each team in the league. Or you could use 6.5 to store critical information and then save the information generated in there each time.

I felt this was the best way to do it for people who want realistic numbers for their own team and don't want to bother with the whole league OR just to present the information and the setup in the simplest way possible for setting up your team's financial information.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like:

That's it. You input the information in the brown area and the blue area generate the information that you input into the game.

Last edited by darkcloud4579; 01-20-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:16 AM   #76
khucke
All Star Reserve

Is stadium rating related to a ballpark`s capacity or a subjective rating of its overall quality?
khucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #77
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Subjective rating of its overall quality.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #78
PlayTheKids
Banned

Holy crap! I'm thoroughly impressed with this.

I've lurked for ages, played leagues here and there, but really want to get into a full-fledged universe (and, as I love to write, dynasties as well). The amount of effort you've put into this is really remarkable. Thank you for the time and effort. I look forward to using it once I get my new universe off the ground.
PlayTheKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #79
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTheKids View Post
Holy crap! I'm thoroughly impressed with this.

I've lurked for ages, played leagues here and there, but really want to get into a full-fledged universe (and, as I love to write, dynasties as well). The amount of effort you've put into this is really remarkable. Thank you for the time and effort. I look forward to using it once I get my new universe off the ground.
That means a lot to me. Really, you have no idea. I embarked on this project solely for my own benefit, but if one person has benefited from it...then that's a huge bonus for me.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #80
PlayTheKids
Banned

Financials are a tremendous component of a league. If you've come up with a way to better reflect this, that's a tremendous help.

I would always encourage people to share things they create around here. You never know who it may help, or who may be able to grab something and take it to another level.

I'll likely harass you with a bunch of questions once I get going on my universe (though I plan to start the backstory in the next couple of days). Be prepared!
PlayTheKids is offline   Reply With Quote