Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods

OOTP Mods Logos, roster packs, historical databases, OOTP tools, FaceGen files... it's all here!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #81
SittingDuck
All Star Starter

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been in the same boat. I have seen it click in less than 5 minutes, but now it seems open-ended and frozen. I suppose I will try it for one evening and see if it actually progresses.
SittingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:10 AM   #82
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

What seems to be happenning with this db is the load process OOTP uses just runs your machine out of available memory as well as virtual memory. It will occaisionally load as long as one does not choose to import complete history, that is a guaranteed crasherooni.

I'll add this as a bug. The load process seems to be trying to gulp the db down in one bite and it is sticking in its craw. It needs to nibble a little bit more during importation of history. Smaller bites, portion control.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #83
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Attn: Mr. Gambolio

Concerning db hang while attempting to load.

Comment #1 from markus 2008-09-24 10:06 ------- Unfortunately there is no way to fix this, OOTP 9 uses the Lahman DB in a converted format (binary) to avoid this, but user created databases still suffer from this problem.

The Binary file referred to is the .odb file

Last edited by Spritze; 09-24-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #84
Syxx34
All Star Reserve

how do I install a database into my game folder. As I would like to play a historical file by myself. Wouldn't mind starting at 1900! I have downloaded "GamboDB30 w 1977 ready"....I am assuming this would be the best way to go about having a historical file?
Syxx34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:59 AM   #85
SteveP

So I finally figured out how to get this DB to load -- just add a lot more memory to my computer (and, of course, not load a complete history). Now I'm struggling to understand what I am getting from the DB.

The problem may be fundamental to my understanding of how OOTP works, so I'll ask the question this way:

I am trying to start a league in 1960, managing the Giants. I have a pitcher, Eddie Fisher, who had a mediocre year in 1960, though he did have a couple of good years later in the decade. However, he is rated (scouting off) as the best pitcher I have on the team, with superstar numbers. How does that happen? I have always assumed that the ratings were calculated from the underlying stats (I am still fairly new to this game), but now I think they must be hard coded in the DB. Is this Eddie Fisher problem an example of an error in the ratings coded into the DB?
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:16 AM   #86
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

The only thing coded into the database is statistics. In fact for Eddie Fisher in 1960 it will be his actual 1960 stats. Not even my estimates for minor league seasons. There is no "hard coding" for ratings in any database as that is not what the databases are. Simply, they are an accumulation of seasonal statistics.

And if there was some kind of "hard coding" why would I dedicate it to a mediocre pitcher who retired 3 years before I was born.

It is a well known fact that OOTP has much more difficulty rating pitchers than batters. As to why he is rated so high? It is more so that the game doesn't see a run of the mill career but rather the 3.55 ERA, the 7:2 K to BB ratio and less than 1 hit per inning numbers he posted in 1960. Of course the fact that he accomplished all that in 12.7 innings is lost on OOTP.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #87
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
The only thing coded into the database is statistics. In fact for Eddie Fisher in 1960 it will be his actual 1960 stats. Not even my estimates for minor league seasons. There is no "hard coding" for ratings in any database as that is not what the databases are. Simply, they are an accumulation of seasonal statistics.

And if there was some kind of "hard coding" why would I dedicate it to a mediocre pitcher who retired 3 years before I was born.

It is a well known fact that OOTP has much more difficulty rating pitchers than batters. As to why he is rated so high? It is more so that the game doesn't see a run of the mill career but rather the 3.55 ERA, the 7:2 K to BB ratio and less than 1 hit per inning numbers he posted in 1960. Of course the fact that he accomplished all that in 12.7 innings is lost on OOTP.
Sorry, no offense intended. Just trying to figure out a puzzle with OOTP and how these different DBs (yours, the one with the game, the Spritze DB, etc.) produce such radically different ratings when the underlying statistics are the same. Real vs neutralized would explain some, but not all. What you say confirms that it must have something to do with how the game interacts with these different DBs, but I've a clue beyond that.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #88
SteveP

Quote:
It is a well known fact that OOTP has much more difficulty rating pitchers than batters.
OK, I think I am finally catching on. If I start a 1960 league ten times using any DB, I am likely to get ten different ratings for pitchers, especially for those that have limited stats for 1960 (in which the differences can be quite large). I assume that 3 or 5 yr recalc produces less volatile results, which makes it odd that the game doesn't allow similar averages when starting a league. Also, in starting a league, the computer has to decide if a pitcher is an SP or an MR/CL as part of the ratings calculation, which I assume also affects endurance. In this era, a lot of pitchers were both during a season. So, that's another way for odd ratings to creep in.

I now think that the best course of action is to do a league set up many times, pick the one that produces the most reasonable results, and then go in and do some editing on ratings (endurance being the easiest) before starting play. In fact, I suppose one should be prepared to do that sort of editing at beginning of every season for new players coming into the league.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #89
SteveP

More puzzlement

So here's another thing that has me puzzled. It has to do with how neutralized stats are created. If I look at Eddie Fisher in 1960, his neutralized stats are exactly the same as his real stats for that year. If I look at Don Choate, who had a fairly similar stat line for that year, the neutralized stats are quite different from his real ones. Also, his ratings are more reasonable -- perhaps a bit high but within a range that might have been true if he had pitched more that year. Anyway, I thought I understood how neutralization worked, but now I just more confused.

This same discrepancy between the two on the neutralized stats is exactly the same between the Gambo DB and the neutralized stats that come with the game's DB. I am also continuing to find that the latter DB produces significantly low ratings for Fisher than the Gambo DB, even though the stat line is identical.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #90
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
So here's another thing that has me puzzled. It has to do with how neutralized stats are created. If I look at Eddie Fisher in 1960, his neutralized stats are exactly the same as his real stats for that year. If I look at Don Choate, who had a fairly similar stat line for that year, the neutralized stats are quite different from his real ones. Also, his ratings are more reasonable -- perhaps a bit high but within a range that might have been true if he had pitched more that year. Anyway, I thought I understood how neutralization worked, but now I just more confused.

This same discrepancy between the two on the neutralized stats is exactly the same between the Gambo DB and the neutralized stats that come with the game's DB. I am also continuing to find that the latter DB produces significantly low ratings for Fisher than the Gambo DB, even though the stat line is identical.
The lower ratings from the game database is possibly simply becuase my database includes many more players such as the minor leaguers. Because ratings are subjective to those players around them the larger amount ofworse players in the pool would lead to "higher" ratings in my database

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
Old 11-18-2008, 04:47 AM   #91
railroad_ross
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks for the hard work in the past.

I didn't read the entire thread but can you include Japanese players again and just let us know who they where and when they import so we can delete them if we choose? Also it would be nice to continue to expand upon the negro league players if possible.

Or am I bringing up something for an entirely different database?

Owner, New York Knights, TTBL
railroad_ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #92
SteveP

Finally got success with this DB

Just thought I'd pass along something I discovered in using Gambo's DB. For reasons that I can't explain, the ratings for players with low IP or AB stats in the startup year come out better when you turn off the adjustment feature in the game creation screen. That is, the feature which is supposed to adjust or weaken the ratings for these players seems to actually work in reverse with this DB -- it makes them stronger rather than weaker. When you put zeros into these boxes on the game creation screen, the ratings come out extremely well. You still get the kind of minor anomalies that occur with any of the DBs, but overall the results are quite good. FWIW.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #93
SteveP

A new problem, maybe. After finally figuring out how best to load this DB, and working through a variety of other adjustments, I have gotten through a season (I don't sim very quickly), and am starting a second season. The new players ("historical rookies") that have joined the teams at the start of the pre-season do not appear to have loaded any neutralized stats. The only stats showing for them are their real stats. I have the Gambo DB selected as the source DB. I have checked to see if using or not using recalc makes a difference. It doesn't. As near as I can tell, the game seems to be creating potential ratings based on the real stats, and inventing the current stats -- but that's just a best guess.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #94
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Can you show an example?

OOTP MODS:
available at...
Old 12-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #95
SteveP

Quote:
Can you show an example?
Sorry, don't know how to do that, so let's try a description first. When I first started up a league using your DB, I could look at the Real Stats for each player and see data in both the real stats section and the neutralized stats section. Then the new players come along the following spring. When I look at the Real Stats page for each of them, I find data in the real stats section, but none in the neutralized stats section. These players were rated nevertheless, but I can only guess as to whether they are rated on the basis of neutralized stats that I can't see, or on the basis of the real stats that I can see, or essentially invented owing to the lack of neutralized stats.

In other words, I can't tell if it's a real problem or a display problem. I tried it twice, running the same league (once from a saved file) using recalc once, and no recalc once. Didn't really expect this to make a difference but thought I should try anyway.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #96
Milo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Negro league players

I am using the new 2009 DB. starting in 1916, so far every Negro League player has imported as a 1st baseman with a contact potential between 4 and 6 and none have risen above A ball....
I am playing with recalc off
Have I done something wrong? I do not see anyone else reporting this ....

Thanks,

Milo
Milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #97
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Hello,
I've been using this DB for my league starting in 1871. I've just reached the offseason between 1882-83. I've found with the expansion to include the AA teams I now have a TON of duplicate players as free agents. There are some duplicates both as free agents as well as some that have already been playing for several years, so in some cases there are three of the same player.

I'm relatively new to this game so maybe I did something wrong here? I didn't think expansion teams were supposed to import with their original players and that new players would always be added through the draft... in any case, I don't think I should be seeing 2 or 3 of the same player.

Any help?

p.s. I have a pitcher on my team named George Knight who is averaging about 12k/9IP over a two year period. His 'stuff' rating is maxed out. This seems to be quite odd for that time period to say the least. I noticed in one news article (he won player of the week several times) that his named showed up as 'Johnson'. He got Randy Johnson's stats perhaps?
corkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #98
railroad_ross
Minors (Triple A)

The fielding ratings are importing incorrectly from this version of the DB into OOTPX. Will there be an updated/database for OOTPX?

Owner, New York Knights, TTBL
railroad_ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #99
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

I will take a look at how the databases differ between this year and last and see about creating a quick update to fix any of the database differences.

I will post some information once I know it.

OOTP MODS:
available at...
Old 06-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #100
BlitzburghBucco
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I will take a look at how the databases differ between this year and last and see about creating a quick update to fix any of the database differences.

I will post some information once I know it.
Good stuff. Thanks for your work.
BlitzburghBucco is offline   Reply With Quote