Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Season 30 (2048) Discussion Thread

After close to 300 hours and almost as many bucks, I am left without a top-level team as all my hopes and dreams have turned into lint and a mysterious wet spot on the carpet.

Few changes this week; the Rebs are doomed anyway, and the Accountants changed shortstops from Cal Ripken jr. to Aparicio. That's mostly it, actually.

Now that I am at a point where I see that neither funds nor my wisdom has given me any advantage over stupid packs-only brute-forcing the game, what exactly does that knowledge tell me?
Attached Images

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Well the Suns lost to noted whale USC Trojans in 5 games after winning the WC game yesterday. After that, we sold off 3 live perfects in Rendon, Scherzer, and Bellinger and spent 20 bucks for 25k pp and picked up perfect Ruth for 95k. He'll take over as a 1B/LF and push Delahanty to a 1B/DH role. Effectively we are now platooning Turkey Stearnes and Mule Suttles. Also put Buck Leonard and Alan Trammell up for sale, hopefully we can pick up 60k there and get another significant upgrade. Loved Buck but with Perfect Ruth we don't really have a spot for him now. Trammell only played vL and I'd rather put that into a fulltime player if I can.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I am in a league with the Everett Aqua Sox this week. They are in the other conference so my goal is to beat them in the World Series. There's a lot to do before getting there though; there are a couple of other teams with multiple PL titles.

April is the month to find out which players are trending toward great years and which will have off years. I like to play all of my players quite a bit in April and May with frequent substitutions for positions where I have good alternatives. By June, I hope to have settled on a batting order and bullpen assignments, and begin to play the best lineup subbing only when tired.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #4
Izz
Hall Of Famer

The 'Glou finished last season 71-91, which was well out of the relegation zone so we're now in our 11th straight week in perfect.

I did some mega retooling (both roster and strategy) before the start of this season. Here is the roster to start this season (once again, I've thrown defense out the window!):

Jason Kendall, Rod Carew, Jesse Burkett, and Gary Sheffield get called back into the team, while Bill Madlock and Matty Alou are getting their first opportunity to strut their stuff. You'll also notice I've gone with a 4-man rotation, and am focusing on stuff and control, rather than stuff and movement.

I'll be interested to see how we go over the course of the season (and I expect to make a few bullpen changes along the way - even though I play in a low-homer park, low movement is definitely gonna bite me on the butt a lot). We've started off hot, with an 8-2 record, though we've also been pretty lucky to win our 4 extra-inning games and all 4 one-run games. Our division isn't particularly strong, so that might help us out.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #5
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Welcome to P407!

The Huntley Red Raiders are in P407 this week. I don't recall facing many of the other teams in the league before, but I recognize many names from others' league reports over the past few weeks. This should be an interesting and challenging league.

Each division in the AC has a team that has won a Perfect League championship. In the AC East, it's the Flatbush Dukes, who won Iron, Bronze, and Silver championships in their first 3 years in PT 2.0 and have added 2 Perfect League championships over the ensuing years. The division also boasts 2 Diamond champs, the Papillion Raptors and Burlington Bisons.

The AC Central features the most decorated team in the entire league, the 5-time Perfect League (and Iron, Silver, Gold, and Diamond) champs Colorado Lions. Two other teams in the division have won Diamond championships: the Holy City Saints and Bothell Bombers. Finally, the Seattle Mediocrity have won Bronze and Gold championships, so my unsolicited advice is to upgrade to a more self-confident team name!

The beasts of the AC West are the Broomfield Bigfoots, with one Diamond and one Perfect League championship under their belts. The Detroit Dreamers have also won a Diamond championship, and former Silver champs Dual Space Annihilators are off to a good start; they've struggled but survived in Perfect, finishing below .500 but never demoted over the past 8 seasons. Here's hoping they break through this week!

Your 4-time Perfect League champs (and 3-time Perfect League runner-ups <shakes fist at La Crosse, Singapore, and RealMadrid>) Huntley Red Raiders are in the NC West, along with 3-time Perfect League champs (2 in a row, in fact!) H.B. Cube. The other 3 division members have only one championship at any level among them (a Silver for the South End Tuskers), but they are defending their home turfs well early in the season; Huntley is only 4-6 on the road against the Cooperstown Classics, New York Boroughs, and Tuskers so far this season.

No team in the AC Central has won a Perfect League championship, but all 5 teams have won a Diamond League championship! The DDingu Eagles are off to a fantastic start, but the Tacoma Defiance, Memphis Thieves, New York Subway, and Portland Stumps should not be counted out.

Finally, the NC East boasts the 3-time Perfect League champions (twice in the past 3 seasons!) Jersey Revolutionize, who are off to a ridiculous 17-2 start that has already given them an enormous, um, wait, only a half-game lead over the 16-2 (and 2-time Gold champs) Chiswick Big Wigs, who are currently on an 11-game winning streak. No other teams in that division have won a title at any level; here's hoping Chiswick can keep it up and make things interesting in the NC East.

Good luck to all in P407!
Attached Images

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:36 PM   #6
dbqs
Major Leagues

Wow! The Chicago Machine had their best year yet and incredibly made it all the way to a 4-2 loss in the finals at the hands of the Collingwood Magpies.
https://pt20reports.cachefly.net/sea...gue_stats.html
Went up against some very stacked teams but our ridiculously good 59-22 home record stood tall. Sweet Home Chicago, baby. And our expected record was 100+ win for the first time!
Loving this turn of events...

Looks like we're in P403 this year. Off to a hot 17-4 start. Somehow the best in the league. We'll see how it shakes out this season.
Luke Appling is hitting .435 through 19 games...perhaps not sustainable.

Last edited by dbqs; 10-14-2019 at 10:42 PM.
dbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #7
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

The next episode of Everyone Loves The La Crosse Fighting Frogs (starring Ray Romano wearing "frog face") airs this week!

The Frogs have been placed ever so gently on the lily pad that is P448. There aren't as many familiar faces compared to last week, but we'll ribbit along sanguinely nonetheless.

Notable teams at first pass, that is, teams with shiny eye-catching PL titles that I can quickly gloss over--the Durham El Toros (3 titles) are in the AC West; the Amberg Legends (2 titles) share the NC West with said Frogs (2 titles); the Asbury Springboks (1 title) and Auburn Doubledays (1 title) coexist harmoniously in the AC East; the Summit Dirigibles (1 title) have the AC Central mostly to themselves; and the Michigan Stags (1 title) are in the NC Central. That's a total of 11 titles so it's not the strongest league ever but should make for good, wholesome competition. I estimate that the Frogs' worst-case scenario this week would be a Wild Card berth, but hopefully that's not a jinx. I owe myself a Coke!

No really amazing changes to the roster from last week to this week, except I'll get the first full week from 100 Ripken, 99 Berra, and 92 Rose--these fellows were all obtained from packs last week. Last week, they were just tadpoles, now we'll see how much they've grown.

Partly due to the acquisition of the aforementioned players, the Frogs find themselves with a bit more offensive firepower than usual. Accordingly, in a really Earth-shattering development the Frogs have upped their HR ballpark factors from .900 to .910 for this week. Massive! I feel like apologizing to my pitching staff, but maybe we generate a little bit more revenue with double dingers and so forth.

Lastly, on a somewhat poignant note, I notice that there are only 4 members of the "original" championship team from 2032 still on the active roster. Hurler CC Sabathia, infielders Lou Boudreau and Johnny Pesky, and designated hitter Harry Heilmann. The likes of Tim Raines, Dennis Eckersley, Garry Maddox, Richie Ashburn, Nomar Garciaparra, Mike LaValliere, and Tony Gwynn are all manning the reserve roster at this point. So poignant!

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23 View Post
No team in the AC Central has won a Perfect League championship, but all 5 teams have won a Diamond League championship! The DDingu Eagles are off to a fantastic start, but the Tacoma Defiance, Memphis Thieves, New York Subway, and Portland Stumps should not be counted out.
Those DDingu Eagles should probably be spoken about as if they've won some titles. I feel like they've been a tough out every time anyone has mentioned them. I also remember them running away from my team one week--that may have been all the way back at Diamond level.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #9
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Diamond Team #1 started the season 14-12 and won 1,510 PP in the opening month. This includes a 550 PP game from the DH (4-4, 3 HR, 6 RBI) on the 22nd. One game back in the division. Who knows.

Diamond Team #2 got out of the gates 17-10, 2 1/2 games ahead in the division, but got only 990 PP, the only team with no silver achievements in April. They are not hitting homers, but are near the top of the league in most other key categories.

Diamond Team #3 got off to an 11-15 opening month, scoring 940 PP mainly thanks to a Maddux on Opening Day. They're already nine games back and in the bottom quarter in runs scored and runs stuffed with. The signs look bleak.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #10
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Well, got home last night and got a chance to look at my division, seems very winnable. Might not have to go the WC route and then face a super whale in the division series for once. Managed to sell Alan Trammell for 30k and put a bid in on Phil Rizzuto for 33k. Small bump in offense and defense with the added bonus of helping me with the Yankees missions whenever they come out (hopefully soon). Didn't get a chance to see if I won that last night but we'll find out tonight.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #11
bailey
Hall Of Famer

An interesting first day in P429

Eastern Division leader, Trenton Christians, is expected to be my chief postseason rival with 7 Perfect League championships, while Western Division leader, Kingsport Ancients, is an improving team off to fast start after two 90+ win seasons which is way more than they generally won before then. The Brigantine Bombers have outclassed the Magpies in the Central for one day. They are doing it with smoke and mirrors. The Eureka Mallards are in 3rd place in my division at 14-13 which is surprising since they started 0-9. Their four losses since then were all by 1 run.

My biggest roster move was recalling Cristobal Torriente from the reserves. I realize I've been playing sub-optimally for weeks as this fictional character should have been platooning with Joe DiMaggio all along. So far, he has justified the decision with .375/.412/.597.

Brigantine pitching staff:

Name:  brigaNTINE.PNG
Views: 326
Size:  44.7 KB
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #12
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
The next episode of Everyone Loves The La Crosse Fighting Frogs (starring Ray Romano wearing "frog face") airs this week!

The Frogs have been placed ever so gently on the lily pad that is P448. There aren't as many familiar faces compared to last week, but we'll ribbit along sanguinely nonetheless.

Notable teams at first pass, that is, teams with shiny eye-catching PL titles that I can quickly gloss over--the Durham El Toros (3 titles) are in the AC West; the Amberg Legends (2 titles) share the NC West with said Frogs (2 titles); the Asbury Springboks (1 title) and Auburn Doubledays (1 title) coexist harmoniously in the AC East; the Summit Dirigibles (1 title) have the AC Central mostly to themselves; and the Michigan Stags (1 title) are in the NC Central. That's a total of 11 titles so it's not the strongest league ever but should make for good, wholesome competition. I estimate that the Frogs' worst-case scenario this week would be a Wild Card berth, but hopefully that's not a jinx. I owe myself a Coke!

No really amazing changes to the roster from last week to this week, except I'll get the first full week from 100 Ripken, 99 Berra, and 92 Rose--these fellows were all obtained from packs last week. Last week, they were just tadpoles, now we'll see how much they've grown.

Partly due to the acquisition of the aforementioned players, the Frogs find themselves with a bit more offensive firepower than usual. Accordingly, in a really Earth-shattering development the Frogs have upped their HR ballpark factors from .900 to .910 for this week. Massive! I feel like apologizing to my pitching staff, but maybe we generate a little bit more revenue with double dingers and so forth.

Lastly, on a somewhat poignant note, I notice that there are only 4 members of the "original" championship team from 2032 still on the active roster. Hurler CC Sabathia, infielders Lou Boudreau and Johnny Pesky, and designated hitter Harry Heilmann. The likes of Tim Raines, Dennis Eckersley, Garry Maddox, Richie Ashburn, Nomar Garciaparra, Mike LaValliere, and Tony Gwynn are all manning the reserve roster at this point. So poignant!
Forget defense in this league, besides the Frogs suppression of homers this is a hitters park league. Here is my early season top 7 projection:

Summit Dirigbles
Durham el Torres
Amber Legends
La Crosse Fighting Frogs
Asbury Springboks
Auburn Doubledays
Michigan Stags

Summit has an amazing Negro league all star lineup. Durham has a lot of strength, but their biggest asset is their defense. Do not fall behind late in the game against the Legends, they have amazing depth in their bullpen. Frogs are not a long ball hitting but will most likely leap into the league lead in average with their high contact lineup. Right handed pitchers will struggle against the Springboks hard hitting lefties and their pitchers have the stuff to strikeout out opposing hitters. Doubledays are hoping to feast on these hitter friendly parks. Michigan stunned the Doubledays in the World Series last week and has a well rounded team that should make the playoffs but not sure if their good enough to beat the Frogs or the Legends in the NC Championship Series.

In the NC, the East is wide open but the two best team in the NC happen to be in the same division between the Frogs and Legends. I expect these two teams to be in a best of 5 clash in the division series. Michigan can surprise in the playoffs.

The AC has 4 strong contenders that are evenly disbursed between the 3 divisions. Asbury and Auburn should battle it out in the east, while Summit and Durham are heavy favorites in the Central and West respectively. All 4 teams have hitter friendly parks so keep an eye on the AC hitting leader board. It should be an interesting playoff with all 4 teams having a decent chance.

Last edited by daves; 10-15-2019 at 01:00 PM.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #13
Argonaut
All Star Starter

It's looking like a bit of a lost season for two of my teams: the Cowboys and Crayons. A year after making it to the Perfect Series and Game 163 respectively, both are flirting with relegation. Goes to show that Perfect Leagues have a wide disparity of roster strength. Because I've won Diamond Series titles on all my teams, I'm not really interested in re-treading old ground, but we'll see what happens.

The Vikings as usual are my strongest team, and look to be battling for the division title again this year. P409 is an interesting league as I see no teams I recognize. It's all new competition. I just added SE Vida Blue as the ace in the rotation, and he instantly becomes my most valuable player, probably double the PP value of any other player.

I've been spending all PP on Collections on all my teams, which is a bit of a slow-burn. It's simultaneously frustrating and fun.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:00 PM   #14
dbqs
Major Leagues

Omg... Ed Walsh is on a ridiculous pace... 13 GS, 12-0 record.

dbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #15
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Dang. My Walsh is a total bum compared to yours.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2019, 01:23 AM   #16
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

P407: Huntley: 14! Colorado: Hold My Beer.

Huntley's had itself a fine May so far, with a 20-3 record to this point, including an ongoing 14-game winning streak. The Red Raiders' run (say that 3 times fast) has been fueled by pitching and defense, as the team has shut out its opponent 7 times so far this month.

But, thanks to its own 20-3 May, the Jersey Revolutionize still have a 7-game lead over the Red Raiders and Chiswick Big Wigs for the best record in the NC.

And yet, the big story in the league has nothing to do with any team in the NC. Over in the AC, the Colorado Lions...well, just take a look.
Attached Images

Last edited by JasonC23; 10-16-2019 at 01:24 AM.
JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:29 AM   #17
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

The Frogs (41-13, +130) are hopping to it in the early months, taking advantage of a favorable schedule that'll continue through June. The team leads the conference with 313 runs scored and ranks 2nd in runs allowed (183). La Crosse currently holds the best overall record in P448 and that's a feat which has never materialized over a full season at Perfect level. Something to keep an eye on. Of the 13 losses, 6 have been of the 1-run variety, with some walkoffs in extras mixed in, although the team is 11-6 overall in such contests. So, equal parts strong play and opportunism.

All of the other strong teams that were identified earlier are...well...playing like strong teams. Asbury (38-17) holds a slim lead over Auburn (36-18) in the AC East. Summit (40-14) is opening up a chasm in the AC Central. Durham (40-15) is having an even easier go in the AC West--a yawning chasm developing there.

In the NC, the Subway Jareds (35-19) are leading the Goon Island Hamburgers (31-23) by 4 games in the East. Michigan (35-17) probably won't be challenged in the Central. The Frogs are running 3.5 games ahead of the dangerous, whale-ish Amberg Legends (37-16) in the West. The Frogs swept Amberg in the opening 3 games of the season, but still have 16 more games to battle.

The latest batch of packs (90 of them, I think, although it gets fuzzy because I open so many) yielded 100 LIVE Yelich and 100 LIVE Rendon along with gold Boudreau and gold Mitchell Page--cards that are relatively high-PP collection fodder. Yelich hasn't hit his stride yet (.209/.305/.385), but I want to give him the full week to audition. Adding Rendon gives me a nice gold Boggs/Rendon platoon at 3B and allows me to move 100 Ripken around some more and share 1B with Chipper Jones.

Ed Walsh (8-0, 1.22 ERA, 2.72 FIP, 9.0 WAR pace) is gunning for back-to-back PoY awards and his 3rd overall in his 6th season with the team. Amazing what this card can do in a homer-suppressing ballpark with a fantastico defense behind him. I just need to excavate his buddy Cy Young from one of these runs of packs and it's game on (I assume Ed and Cy were buddies but have no proof).

Old 10-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #18
Izz
Hall Of Famer

The 'Glou remain above .500!

We did have a 9-game losing streak in the middle of the month, 4 of those games losses to asaintsfan's New Orleans Brees (he has 11 perfect league titles, btw, and a roster that is probably worth more than I earn per year). Got really mauled in 2 of those games. But we recovered somewhat to finish the month 29-25.

We've scored the 3rd-most runs in the conference but have allowed the 2nd-most. Am considering ditching the 4-starter strategy but will give it another day to see if the punishment dies down a little bit

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report

Last edited by Izz; 10-16-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #19
Argonaut
All Star Starter

The Cowboys have an interesting record: 25-31 with a +43 run differential. Pythag says that -7 on expected record, and it's only Wednesday morning. Probably something to do with the atrocious bullpen I'm trotting out. We're at 14th in defensive efficiency and 2nd in zone rating which is funny.

The Vikings are cruising and should make the 'yoffs again. Sitting at #1 on the power rankings. Maybe there's no whales in that league?

I don't know what the Crayons are doing. Probably eating crayons.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #20
bailey
Hall Of Famer

As late as May 27, on the eve of a 3-game series with Brigantine, the Magpies were still in 2nd place half game behind them. Six games later the fortunes of the two teams have radically diverged.

Name:  standin.PNG
Views: 194
Size:  29.5 KB

In other news, the 3 catcher system has been abandoned. It won't make a difference during the regular season, but gold I-Rod will be used as 3rd string catcher in the postseason. Meanwhile, the Special Edition card was sold. Cap Anson has been benched for subpar performance and is practically on the shopping block. Can 1 bad month erase 15 seasons of exemplary performance?

Name:  anson.PNG
Views: 220
Size:  63.1 KB
Name:  anson 2.PNG
Views: 194
Size:  28.8 KB
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote