Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

View Poll Results: Do you Cheat When you Play OOTP and how much?
I never cheat..what happens happens... 120 71.43%
I do edit player ratings but that's it 22 13.10%
I edit players, change injury times, move players to other teams but that's it 16 9.52%
I change everything including killing OOTP so game results I don't like won't save 10 5.95%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #41
Pierreless
Bat Boy

The only time I ever cheated was playing a historical and Harmon Killebrew suffered a career-ending hip injury in 1962. I miraculously healed him and signed him to my team as a free agent and he went on to have a Hall of Fame career. I regret nothing.
Pierreless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #42
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Meh, it's just a game. I view it as a simulator that's really generating fiction for my benefit, so in the decades I've played the game, I pretty much have done it all. I'm more interested in the storyline, than realism or "accuracy"
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #43
Juggernt
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
Meh, it's just a game. I view it as a simulator that's really generating fiction for my benefit, so in the decades I've played the game, I pretty much have done it all. I'm more interested in the storyline, than realism or "accuracy"
This is how I treat it as well. I'm all about the franchise's story arc.
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #44
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I don't know if it's cheating, but I started using Commissioner Mode to change a stadium or two in my leagues after it's been too long without a new one. I like seeing change in that area.

Only problem is, I'm not sure if the AI can handle a stadium getting smaller, rather than larger. Ticket pricing, I mean.
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:00 AM   #45
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

I do not think there is such a thing as cheating in a single player game.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #46
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgh-adfabre View Post
i do not think there is such a thing as cheating in a single player game.
+1

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #47
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
There is. F.e. in this game, you could cheat your way to any number of Steam achievements, or you can edit yourself a team of Super Babe Ruths and Randy Johnsons on steroids and then gloat on here about how you went 162-0 while crashing the game every time you trailed in the ninth inning. Or the second.

All of that is cheating.

And if you are a cheater, I want nothing to do with you, nor play with you. Or against you.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #48
Marsupilami
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
thats what cheaters need to tell themselves

Marsupilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #49
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
There is. F.e. in this game, you could cheat your way to any number of Steam achievements, or you can edit yourself a team of Super Babe Ruths and Randy Johnsons on steroids and then gloat on here about how you went 162-0 while crashing the game every time you trailed in the ninth inning. Or the second.

All of that is cheating.

And if you are a cheater, I want nothing to do with you, nor play with you. Or against you.
I understand cheating should not be allowed in challenge mode or online competitive leagues. But if you are playing solo your own way and not competing against anyone else, it's a game, you can do what you want. Just don't post your achievements if you overrode the game in any way.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #50
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I don’t generally play as one team but instead play commissioner for entire leagues, so you’d better believe I “cheat”. If there’s a guy who is like 50 hits away from 3000 and just fell off the map I sure will give his ratings a boost. I had a player in a deadball era league a couple years ago I’d created and modeled after Honus Wagner. I un-CEId him not once but twice. It’s my game, dammit, I get to say what happened and what only fake happened.

If you’re playing human opponents that’s another matter of course. I tend not to cheat even in single player games when I’m not pretending to be Baseball Jesus because I find that makes them boring quickly.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #51
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
I understand cheating should not be allowed in challenge mode or online competitive leagues. But if you are playing solo your own way and not competing against anyone else, it's a game, you can do what you want. Just don't post your achievements if you overrode the game in any way.
Agreed. And to take it even a bit further: I think it's great when people share ways that they have experimented with the game. When someone shares, up front, I thought it might be fun to see what if....? And towards that end I manipulated X,Y, and/or Z. And here are the crazy results. Wonderful.
Like you said, it's a game! That's just one of the many things it is great for.

And if someone wants to brag about accomplishments that seem too good to be true, and they haven't fessed up to some extra manipulation of the program that others might regard as cheating, well, fine. That's on them. I will choose to take anything they share with a grain, or perhaps whole bag, of salt. Obviously it is different in any environment where there is an element of human competition (online league, Challenge Mode, etc.) but otherwise, to each their own I say.

And if you've done something fun by "cheating", and you want to share it (including the "cheat" you've utilized), I'm all ears.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #52
Charley575
All Star Reserve

The only cheat I allow myself is to dip into commish mode when it's time to evaluate coaches because the reputation system is trash.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #53
zukes
All Star Starter

In most of my leagues I have ever played in, I "cheat" to start the game as I would add myself as an 18 year old stud. I usually played in a big market as well.

I just started a new league as my long-time league got stale winning all the time.

I usually play fictional but this time I started an MLB league but expanded to Montreal and Portland and then based re-alignment off of a recent Jason Stark article where he proposed the DH in both league and 2 conferences, west and east, 4 divisions in each. I set it so the division winners and 4 wild cards on each side make the playoffs, all best of 7 series like the NHL playoffs.

I took control of the Expos and made no edits. I'm going to let whatever happens happen.

Divisions look as follows:

Northeast:

Mets
Yankees
Red Sox
Expos

Federal:

Phillies
Pirates
Orioles
Nationals

Great Lakes:

Blue Jays
Indians
Tigers
Reds

Southeast:

Marlins
Rays
Braves
Cardinals (they don't really fit anywhere)

Southwest:

Dodgers
Angels
Padres
Diamondbacks

Northwest:

Giants
A's
Mariners
Portland

Central:

Royals
Astros
Rangers
Rockies

North:

Cubs
White Sox
Brewers
Twins
zukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #54
Charley575
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
In most of my leagues I have ever played in, I "cheat" to start the game as I would add myself as an 18 year old stud. I usually played in a big market as well.

I just started a new league as my long-time league got stale winning all the time.

I usually play fictional but this time I started an MLB league but expanded to Montreal and Portland and then based re-alignment off of a recent Jason Stark article where he proposed the DH in both league and 2 conferences, west and east, 4 divisions in each. I set it so the division winners and 4 wild cards on each side make the playoffs, all best of 7 series like the NHL playoffs.

I took control of the Expos and made no edits. I'm going to let whatever happens happen.

Divisions look as follows:

Northeast:

Mets
Yankees
Red Sox
Expos

Federal:

Phillies
Pirates
Orioles
Nationals

Great Lakes:

Blue Jays
Indians
Tigers
Reds

Southeast:

Marlins
Rays
Braves
Cardinals (they don't really fit anywhere)

Southwest:

Dodgers
Angels
Padres
Diamondbacks

Northwest:

Giants
A's
Mariners
Portland

Central:

Royals
Astros
Rangers
Rockies

North:

Cubs
White Sox
Brewers
Twins
I like this, all except for half the teams getting into postseason play. You must have AT LEAST one sub-.500 team in your postseason every year. I happen to believe that any league that allows losing teams into postseason play has delegitimized itself as a serious professional sports league and anyone associated with permitting such a thing shall surely go straight to hell when they pass.
That notwithstanding, this is not a terrible idea. I think my next league will be something like this, but I'd go with 2 divisions of 8 in each league with 1 wildcard and a first round bye for the top team.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #55
zukes
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley575 View Post
I like this, all except for half the teams getting into postseason play. You must have AT LEAST one sub-.500 team in your postseason every year. I happen to believe that any league that allows losing teams into postseason play has delegitimized itself as a serious professional sports league and anyone associated with permitting such a thing shall surely go straight to hell when they pass.
That notwithstanding, this is not a terrible idea. I think my next league will be something like this, but I'd go with 2 divisions of 8 in each league with 1 wildcard and a first round bye for the top team.
Well, seeing as I just started it and play each game, I don't know.

A quick look at the current MLB standings show that the AL has 8 teams over .500 and the NL has 10 that are at or over meaning that San Francisco at 50-48 and Washington at 48-48 would miss the playoffs.

Last year the Angels, Rays and Royals would have all made the playoffs at 80-82, while in the NL the 77-85 Marlins would have made it. However, I contend that these teams would no longer be in sell mode and if playing for a shot at the playoffs would have finished over .500.

Two years ago, the Marlins and Pirates would have made it with sub .500 records, but the Yankees at 84 wins and KC at 81 would have missed the playoffs.

Personally, I think any team that is at .500 could beat a top team. The baseball season is so long and there are many times that teams that make the playoffs aren't as good as teams that miss but had slow starts.

Thankfully, this great game allows us to customize things to our liking.
zukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #56
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

I don't think I cheat but.... I have an older version where choices on batter splits are none or random. So I fix the players on my team where random is way off. I don't change the overall rating, just left and right distribution.

Cheating?
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #57
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

I don't call it cheating. It's called CUSTOMIZING *Edit to 250 power
Old 07-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #58
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Customizing, I like that.

I don't know how the game does its calculation from stats but it really looks crazy sometimes.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote