Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Incredible Tasks

i really tried to get into the historical minors, but just couldn't get around the 1901-192? gap of using reserve rosters instead of minor league levels. i have a few books, and there's a ton of on-line data, so i decided to create my own minors from 1901 onward. i gave up after 1500 players and only 10 years into PART of the data. Decided to go back to my "historical" 1901 with feeder and self created minors .....

How in the heck did Spritze and Big Rod (and others) do it? What an incredible, monumental and wonderful task they took on and created. i'm amazed and humbled. If it ever evolves so we can have our self created minors merge with their historicals and maybe even Negro Leaguers, i'll have to restart for certain.

Anyway, this is just to say i knew their efforts to create the historical minors was incredible, but now i have a better understanding. It's a monumental accomplishment. Take a bow, fellas, you deserve it!
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:57 AM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Well said

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

No doubt. I think eventually we could have what is now the AAA level back to the very early 1900s, but I don't believe the data is there to go farther back or into lower classifications before 1919.

I don't think there would be anything keeping you from having your own minors through 1917, disbanding them for World War I in 1918 (that's pretty accurate. The majors skipped September, many of the minor leagues didn't play at all, and most of the ones that did didn't finish their schedule), and using historical minors from 1919 forward. The 1920s are a little troublesome because the minors are gradually added in, and you can't mix the two types.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
No doubt. I think eventually we could have what is now the AAA level back to the very early 1900s, but I don't believe the data is there to go farther back or into lower classifications before 1919.

I don't think there would be anything keeping you from having your own minors through 1917, disbanding them for World War I in 1918 (that's pretty accurate. The majors skipped September, many of the minor leagues didn't play at all, and most of the ones that did didn't finish their schedule), and using historical minors from 1919 forward. The 1920s are a little troublesome because the minors are gradually added in, and you can't mix the two types.
i sort of tried some of that in simulation mode while i was gathering info for my grand (ill-fated) minors scheme. What bothered me was using that rserve roster stuff, which i had to do after 1919. i'm certain (or at least hopeful) when 18 rolls out they'll figure out a way to let us have fictional and historical minors together, the way we can have fictional and historical players .... . Maybe not. But for now, i've got a pile of numbers that may or may not come in useful someday, and the game with the feeders and my manually entering some of the Negro League greats works good for the way i play right now.

Thanks for the ideas and tips though. There's a couple things i didn't try, so i can ponder on them when i get bored with the system i have and hanker to try a different angle. Have a good one and again, thanks for the tips.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen

Old 04-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #5
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

There may be more coming in upcoming versions.

Last edited by Spritze; 04-22-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
There may be more coming in upcoming versions.
from what i've seen, there's no doubt about that. Can't believe the amount of time and effort you, Big Rod and others have poured into this. You deserve tons of credit and more. I'll keep an eye out for changes, improvements. Thanks for all you've done in the past and for what you're working on for the future. If i drank beer, i'd offer you one (or two), but you'll have to settle for a Dr. Pepper. Again, Thank you guys.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

I'll echo that. I've just started the 1919 Texas League season. I finally have it set up like I want it, and just finished Dallas at Shreveport on Opening Day.

It took 10 innings, but Dallas ruined Shreveport's opener.

I love historical minors.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote