Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
DarthYoda
Minors (Single A)

Steam versus ordinary, what's deal?

So i've never bought a video game before. What's the difference between getting the game on Steam and Windows?
DarthYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

For us the difference is, if you get the game from our website we get a bigger cut compared to the Steam version. Also, the non-Steam version is quicker when it comes to patches because it takes more time for us to create Steam game updates und the usually get released a day later.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
DarthYoda
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
For us the difference is, if you get the game from our website we get a bigger cut compared to the Steam version. Also, the non-Steam version is quicker when it comes to patches because it takes more time for us to create Steam game updates und the usually get released a day later.
Okey, but on Steam one can access the game from different computers? But yeah, maybe one can insert the purchased code to Steam manually?

Last edited by DarthYoda; 09-28-2015 at 01:59 PM.
DarthYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYoda View Post
Okey, but on Steam one can access the game from different computers?
Yes, but for our version you get two licenses and can transfer these licenses between systems easily, so essentially it is the same.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
ogie1234
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Yes, but for our version you get two licenses and can transfer these licenses between systems easily, so essentially it is the same.
but with steam you can access the same saved games correct? I can play on the PC and then play the same saved game on my laptop? Please confirm!
ogie1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie1234 View Post
but with steam you can access the same saved games correct? I can play on the PC and then play the same saved game on my laptop? Please confirm!
Yup, the saves are 100% compatible and are stored in the same place for both versions.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Yup, the saves are 100% compatible and are stored in the same place for both versions.
They're stored in the same place, but we don't have cloud saves, correct? So I can't play on my PC, save and quit the game, then go to my office and load up my laptop and resume the same game.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
They're stored in the same place, but we don't have cloud saves, correct? So I can't play on my PC, save and quit the game, then go to my office and load up my laptop and resume the same game.
No, but it seems simple enough to enable on Steam, I was looking at it a couple of days ago. There's an option that lets you add it without having to change any of your code. Go implement it for OOTP and report back.

(Edit: Matt actually did take a look. Steam Cloud is limited to 100 MB, unfortunately, far too tiny for OOTP/FHM saves. We have individual files bigger than that.)

Last edited by JeffR; 09-28-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #9
ogie1234
Bat Boy

so yes to STEAM and not so sure on DL'd version?
ogie1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #10
Cod
All Star Reserve

Cloud saves would be awesome!
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #11
Ryssen86
Bat Boy

Editor

Just bought the Steam-version, where is the editor?
Ryssen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
Ogie Oglethorp
Bat Boy

I think Steam saves the actual game on thier servers but the "saved game" file is stored and accessed from your hardrive. Can anyone confirm??
Ogie Oglethorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:33 PM   #13
Cod
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Oglethorp View Post
I think Steam saves the actual game on thier servers but the "saved game" file is stored and accessed from your hardrive. Can anyone confirm??
Yes, games purchased/licensed on Steam are saved to their servers under your user SteamID. This allows you to access ever game you own from anywhere in the world. Cloud saves (save files) are only available in some games, FHM and OOTP are not in that group.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #14
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
Yes, games purchased/licensed on Steam are saved to their servers under your user SteamID. This allows you to access ever game you own from anywhere in the world. Cloud saves (save files) are only available in some games, FHM and OOTP are not in that group.
Yeah, that's the case. They only allow 100 MB per save in the cloud, which just isn't enough for our games. That size limitation is getting kind of antiquated, so hopefully they change it soon, but even if they allow a couple of GB it'll be a tight fit for big, long-running games.