Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
Acton1219
Bat Boy

Acton1219's Suggestions for OOTP2016

Long time lurker, first time poster... Since my first post is in the suggestions forum, I'd be remiss if I did not commend all those involved for making such a wonderful product. I've been a fan for many years and this post is by no means a rant against the product.

1) Expanded front office. I'd like to see an expanded front office team, possibly including a President of Baseball Operations, the GM, an assistant GM, and the Scouting Director. It just seems as if there is a glut of talent of available for the Scouting Director position because employed people such as Theo Epstein are listed as unemployed. The collective talents of the front office could dictate the strength/quality of the information you have.

1B) Expanded Coaching Staff. I've seen other people mention this as a possibility, and I don't feel as strongly about this as I do about the expanded front office, but I mention it for the same reason. Employed people such as Brian Butterfield are listed as unemployed when they are not. I'm thinking of a 1B coach, a 3B coach, a bullpen coach, possibly an assistant hitting coach, and maybe even a team psychologist (though I don't know that many of them). The bullpen coach could help develop catchers, the assistant hitting coach is obvious, and the team psychologist could help with player morale. One base coach could be responsible for infield defense and the other for outfield defense.

2) Player agents. My reasoning behind this is probably already resolved by the player's "greed" factor, but I think an interesting dynamic to the game would be to have a Scott Boras type element. In other words, Agent A is steadfastly against signing long term extensions, while Agent B looks to lock up his players through their arbitration years ASAP. It would also be neat to see relationships between front office personnel and agents develop. In other words, because GM X traded away Player Y, agent Z demands extra money for future contracts with other players, or something along those lines.

3) Customized start dates. I'd LOVE to start the game at the end of the World Series of the previous year. From what I have seen, only one game allowed you to do that - Baseball Manager or something like that for the XBox (so much potential, but a horrible game). No one is 100% behind the moves of his/her favorite team over the off season, so to be able to put your own stamp on it would make for a much more enjoyable first year. Personally, as a Red Sox fan, there would be no way I enter the 2014 season with an outfield of Nava/Gomes, Bradley, and Sizemore/Victorino. That's just my own opinion. Maybe there's a trade you would like to see made, or not made. It'd just allow you to put your own stamp on your first season.

4) Improved dialogue between General Managers. I don't even know what I would suggest for this, but it just seems like there should be increased "communication" among general managers. I realize that not a lot happens in real life until after the draft, but it seems as if there are large gaps of time in the game when nothing happens on the GM side. It could even just be in the form of an "email" from another general manager. For example, if a team is struggling in early May, maybe the GM sends out a "mass email" and says something along the lines of "I'm getting pressure from my owner. If my team doesn't improve by July, I could be convinced to sell assets." Or a GM on the hot seat could send out a "mass email" saying "I need to win to save my job. I am desperate for starting pitching help. Can anyone help me out? No one is off limits." Or something along those lines... Just to get some discussion/strategy during those first few months.

5) Hot Seats. Picking up along #4, it'd be fun to see if GMs have been put on the "hot seat" by their owner because of performance. Maybe that GM becomes more desperate for talent and is willing to trade away prospect packages, etc. If my team is struggling and has an attractive piece or two to offer to a GM on the hot seat in order to improve the team's farm system, it would be good to know that to strike early. Again, just an added form of strategy.

Again, certainly not a rant of the current product by any means as I am a very loyal customer and will be for years to come. It's just my $0.02.
Acton1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

All excellent suggestions.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:40 AM   #3
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acton1219 View Post

1) Expanded front office ...

1B) Expanded Coaching Staff ...
Personally, I'd rather not see those two happen. In fact, if it were up to me, I'd do away with coaches. The only staff one would have to worry about would be (a) general manager; (b) scouting director; and (c) manager (for one's major league club, and perhaps also for one's minor league clubs). That, to me, keeps the game play focus tight on the most important things and does away with stuff that seems more like (somewhat distracting) window dressing than anything substantive. It'd streamline things too.

If a 'simplified' staff option were available, then by all means add all the staff roles one might want. I could then turn them off.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

OP,

I'd definitely keep 1 and 1b. This game has gotten a little dry after almost 10 years playing it. It can get pretty boring. There just isn't enough to do and the financials are the weakest link. Ideas like this add interesting choices and things to do.

Like Soren Johnson once discussed, things shouldn't be added to a game just to have things added to the game (see Paradox). Everything added should pose a choice to the player that has pros and cons. He talked at length about paper-rock-scissors.

I am 100% behind improving financials and making them more a part of the game. To me, OOTP is a game not a freshman stats class. Anything that makes the gaming experience more FUN is always a good thing. The key point here is that these things should not be added if it is eye-candy only. If there is a reason for the addition and it adds to the "fun-factor" then it is a good addition.

Lastly, let's face it, the financials have needed some love for a looong time. It's these, "where are the stats for financials?" arguments that completely miss the point---fun. These arguments always derail any suggestion for improvement to this area. The financials do not have to be exact. Close is good enough. Baseball stats...they have to be accurate. The financials do not.

There is so much potential on what could be done with this game on the financial side of things. Marcus has not even scratched the surface on how much fun could be added to the game.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
Acton1219
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
OP,
Like Soren Johnson once discussed, things shouldn't be added to a game just to have things added to the game (see Paradox). Everything added should pose a choice to the player that has pros and cons. He talked at length about paper-rock-scissors.
I'll be honest and say that I am not too familiar with this discussion, but I agree with it entirely. I guess the meat of what I was saying had to do with long-term ramifications of decisions.

For example, in my Miami Marlins game, we just completed our First Year Player Draft for 2014. Talks with both my second and third round picks broke off, leaving the results of my draft lacking. However, that seems to be the only long-term ramification of my action (or inaction). Speaking specifically to the scout idea that I had, maybe my inaction in 2014 with scout "John Smith"'s client has long-term ramifications in the 2014/2015 off-season when "John Smith" either refuses to do business with me or demands a higher price because of this. Having that scenario an option would force me to rethink my drafting strategy; maybe I do go outside my comfort zone a bit in signing one or both of those players to maintain positive relations with the agent long-term. As it stands now, the decision was simply "Do I want to pay $4 million for a 3rd round pick?" If yes, then you get the player. If no, then you don't. End of discussion.

Again, there are so many positives to this game that I feel bad because it seems like I am nit-picking. I love the game, somuchso that my wife has begun to complain about it (that's when you know it's a solid game!).

Off-topic for a moment, in response to the latest email sent out, as a former high school teacher myself, I am kicking myself that I did not think of the idea of the baseball as a business club that the teacher (names and particulars escape me at the moment) came up with. What a brilliant idea! I already know 30 students off the top of my head who would have signed up for that club the second it was announced. Oh well...
Acton1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Oh I don't see it as nitpicking. These were great suggestions and I'd like to them implemented.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:06 AM   #7
Lojalitate
Bat Boy

In regards to #4, I like this idea and here is my take on it..I would like to have the option to receive emails from other GM's notifying me when their teams trading needs have switched to "win now" or "rebuilding". I feel that might entice me to check their team out, and do some bargain bin hunting, or maybe some salary dumping. Also maybe when other managers remove a player from their "untouchable" list.
Lojalitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
Garethw87

Acton1219 have you been playing Football Manager?

1 and 2 I'm not overly bothered about. An Assistant GM would be nice though I'm all for that one!

The others however are excellent suggestions! I think the thing with more communicating between the GMs could be sorted by just more news items. Like you say, we could be told 'Rays GM has been put under pressure recently by Mr Owner for their recent run' etc So you'd know a bit more what is happening around the league day to day.

Agents is a great idea too, they are on Football Manager and it makes it a little more interesting. Some agents are out for their Agent fees and will make the player sign for pennies if they are getting paid while so are actual good guys are just want a good deal!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Lastly, let's face it, the financials have needed some love for a looong time. It's these, "where are the stats for financials?" arguments that completely miss the point---fun. These arguments always derail any suggestion for improvement to this area. The financials do not have to be exact. Close is good enough. Baseball stats...they have to be accurate. The financials do not.

There is so much potential on what could be done with this game on the financial side of things. Marcus has not even scratched the surface on how much fun could be added to the game.
Some day I'm going to write up my full financial system proposal. It'll be glorious... and it'll also be like reading War and Peace because that's probably how long it'd be. (Now you know why I haven't started it yet—that's a lot of damn writing to do! )

The financial system ultimately ties into so many areas, including the grander 'dynamic baseball universe' concept of which I am a fervent proponent. It has to allow both fictional flexibility as well as good historical authenticity—no easy feat that. I think it certainly possible, but there's just an awful lot of ground to cover in describing how to achieve it...
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #10
HerbertMcHoover
Minors (Triple A)

I'm planning on getting OOTP 16 next year and I really like your ideas. The best are the player agents, expanded office/coaches (Brian Butterfield!) and I also like hot seats, which Kirk Gibson should be on right now. Great suggestions.
HerbertMcHoover is offline   Reply With Quote