Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 11-01-2007, 12:26 AM   #1
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

Is batter fatigue based on partial days?

I have noticed that if my batter is tired and I sit him but let him come in for one pinch hit, that it appears as if he did not have any rest that day (he remains tired the next day).

This leads me to believe that the batter fatigue algorithm is based on games played rather than "innings played" or "plate appearances" like the "pitches thrown" algorithm for pitchers.

Does anyone know for sure whether the batter fatigue is only based on entire days?

I am wondering also if resting my regulars in the late innings of a game helps reduce their fatigue.
jmknpk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:48 AM   #2
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

It is based on entire days. One pinch hit counts as getting no rest whatsoever. Resting them in the late innings won't do any good either.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
jasonn29tn14
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelric View Post
It is based on entire days. One pinch hit counts as getting no rest whatsoever. Resting them in the late innings won't do any good either.

This is something I would really like to see changed for next year's version.....
jasonn29tn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
jarmenia
Hall Of Famer

I think this is incorrect. I had a player at 75% just the other day. I sat him out of the starting line up but then used him to pinch hit later in the game. After the game he was still at 75% but when I advanced to the next day he was back at 100% rested.

jarmenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
Doctor No
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmenia View Post
I think this is incorrect. I had a player at 75% just the other day. I sat him out of the starting line up but then used him to pinch hit later in the game. After the game he was still at 75% but when I advanced to the next day he was back at 100% rested.
My experience is similar to the original poster's. It seems to be all-or-nothing.
Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
zukes
All Star Starter

I agree, this is something that needs to be changed. I think sitting out regulars in blow-outs for a rest should work. Or a guy getting a rest until the 9thi nning of a close game and coming into pinch hit. It should be based on PA's rather than games.
zukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #7
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

So then comes the argument, a PA involving a hit is more tiring then a PA that involves a walk?

I all seriousness, how can batters get tired for playing as little as they do in 2 1/2 hours of baseball? I can see pitchers getting tired, but getting tired playing baseball... that's really a joke.

Last edited by BusterKing; 11-01-2007 at 02:27 PM.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
jasonn29tn14
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
I agree, this is something that needs to be changed. I think sitting out regulars in blow-outs for a rest should work. Or a guy getting a rest until the 9thi nning of a close game and coming into pinch hit. It should be based on PA's rather than games.

NO - not plate appearances. It should track innings played, either offensively, or defensively. Pinch hitting in the 7th and finishing the game should count as 3 innings played, etc. The current system is seriously flawed.
jasonn29tn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
akw4572
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonn29tn14 View Post
NO - not plate appearances. It should track innings played, either offensively, or defensively. Pinch hitting in the 7th and finishing the game should count as 3 innings played, etc. The current system is seriously flawed.
Agree, base it on innings. I'd love to see this changed.
akw4572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:27 AM   #10
Hazza
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
So then comes the argument, a PA involving a hit is more tiring then a PA that involves a walk?

I all seriousness, how can batters get tired for playing as little as they do in 2 1/2 hours of baseball? I can see pitchers getting tired, but getting tired playing baseball... that's really a joke.
Playing a game one night, hoping on a plane and arriving on the other coast in the wee hours of the morning, getting up practicing and warming up, playing a game, getting as much sleep as you can because you've then got annother 1pm start the next day...

How can that not tire you out?

"I never said half the things I really said." - Yogi Berra
Hazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #11
Doctor No
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza View Post
Playing a game one night, hoping on a plane and arriving on the other coast in the wee hours of the morning, getting up practicing and warming up, playing a game, getting as much sleep as you can because you've then got annother 1pm start the next day...

How can that not tire you out?
Plus, it's all relative. "Fatigued" doesn't mean that you feel like after staying up all night eating Fritos and playing Doom. "Fatigued" means that, relative to other highly-skilled athletes at the top of their profession, you're a bit off. And at that level, it makes a difference.
Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone quantified the effect of batters playing tired? There is lots of anecdotal comment about reduced effectiveness and higher possibility of injury. I don't play out enough games to be sure of any effect.

I would prefer an effectiveness rating that is tied to health (injury) and fatigue. Baseball is a real marathon and the best players perform well even when tired or injured. From listening to various players over the years, no one plays at 100% from about the end of May during a season. This would also allow injuries to be more realistic. How many players come back 100%, in season, from a severe knee or shoulder injury?

It would also be much more realistic if, during a pennant race game in September, your starting lineup had no one at 100%. If certain players had an effectiveness rating over 100 (or 1.00) they would perform at a higher level. Conversely players with a reduced effectiveness rating would perform below their apparent ability.

Just my

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #13
Hotstreak
Minors (Rookie Ball)

So this is still basically not fixed I see after like 7 years...AI put my shorstop in for the 9th inning last game not he's still fatigued and I have to sit him out AGAIN. Yeah...that makes sense....
Hotstreak is offline   Reply With Quote