Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #61
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Looks Like It's Going to Be One of THOSE Playoff Years...

As mentioned, Huntley went 6-0 versus the DDingu Eagles this year.

So, naturally, in game 1, Huntley's offense struggled, putting 10 baserunners on in 6 innings against Kevin Brown but only scoring twice. Still, thanks to the continued awesomeness of Rube Waddell (7.1 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts), Huntley entered the 9th clinging to a 2-1 lead.

And then Eric Gagne, who only blew one save all year, did this...
Attached Images

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #62
Nero
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
The big news this morning is the sale of Cap Anson to an unknown team. Cap played well for us, but in the end the focus on pitching and defense made him expendable.
That would very likely be me.

I was looking to make a change at DH, and in a right-handed friendly park he was exactly the bat that I was looking for. Two seasons with a similar park on my Cubs theme team, Cap has one MVP and had a higher WAR this year. With his defensive deficiency, DH I think, is the right spot, and he's the right bat for the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I submitted Big Walt to start the Wild Card Game at least three times, the game ignored me, sent (97) Tom Seaver instead, and the Critters were rushed for nine by the Rancho Bernardo Dropped Balls.

Awesome.

Color me grumpy.
That has happened several times to me as well, and is the one thing that has driven me nuts. Sorry to hear that it happened to you, that sucks.
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #63
old timer
Hall Of Famer

For the 1st time since PT started, I missed an entire week of play. I know that the Raccoons lost in the LCS last season, but after that I was away until today. So they did just fine without me, but were still 14 games off of last year's record season.

I made an adjustment to my ballpark factors (finally!) by reducing HRs to 1.0 from 1.1 (all other factors are maxed out for offense). Now that my team is a high average, high OBP, middle to low power team, it didn't make sense to boost HRs since that would only help those teams with lots of power. Hopefully, this will help us in the playoffs against those teams with a fair bit more power than us.

We finished the season 1st in R with 957 and BAvg (.309) and in many other categories, but were only 12th in HR and last as always in SB. Because of the variation from season to season in home and away records, I'm not sure what kind of impact this will have on our home record over time. This season we did unusually poorly on the road. We were 50-31 (.617) on the road, but went 65-16 (.802) at home. Our pitching had an off year so I'm thinking that reducing HRs at home might have helped at least a little since it was our pitching that wasn't doing so well.

I started playing Cy Seymour in LF 6 seasons ago (only vs RHP) after using him mostly as a backup for several season and now I can't imagine replacing him. He hit .320 with a .520 SLG this season and plays good, if not great, defense in LF (93 rating). Boggs had another stellar season for us (we picked him up last year). He finished with a 152 OPS+ and led in WAR with an 8.5. He even played respectable defense finishing with a ZR of +2.1.

In the playoffs, we're up 2-0 in the divisional round. We've outscored them 30-5 so far, with Seymour getting 12 RBIs so far and hitting .667. This is like what happened last season. We blew out the team in the divisional round and then couldn't hardly score in the LCS. Hopefully, we'll do better this time around.

Good luck to all of you in the playoffs! I hope to see some championships won by some of you in here - as long as you're not in my league!
Attached Images
Old 10-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #64
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

P407: Will Destiny Be Fulfilled?

After the Eric Gagne-fueled hiccup in game 1, Huntley bounced back to take out the DDingu Eagles, 3-1. Not surprisingly, Colorado, Jersey, and Flatbush swept their way into the Sub-League Series.

So here we go! Can Flatbush or Huntley shock the world?
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #65
Argonaut
All Star Starter

The Cowboys ran up against the whale Bronx Bombers and got swept, and the Crayons blew the last game of the season plus Game 163 against the same team, so they were out of the 'yoffs altogether.

That leaves just the Victoria Vikings, who actually have a decent chance at my first Perfect Series title this week. The only whale team I can see is the Marshall Cardinals, and they are in a tough battle to stay alive. We'll see what happens in P409.

Tom Glavine was great on the season with 0.2 HR/9 and 6.2 WAR. George Sisler led the way among batters with a 146 wRC+.
Attached Images

Last edited by Argonaut; 10-20-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #66
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

At the very least, Huntley will not be swept; with homers from Mantle, Gehrig, and Yelich off Pedro, and Rube Waddell no-hitting Jersey into the 8th, Huntley takes game 1, 4-0!

Old 10-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #67
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post
That would very likely be me.

I was looking to make a change at DH, and in a right-handed friendly park he was exactly the bat that I was looking for. Two seasons with a similar park on my Cubs theme team, Cap has one MVP and had a higher WAR this year. With his defensive deficiency, DH I think, is the right spot, and he's the right bat for the spot.
That should work out great for you. My ballpark is lefty focused, so Ted Williams is my DH. A win-win.

The Division Series opened on a windy day in Collingwood; the wind blowing out to right at 19mph. Obviously favoring LHB, the only one who took advantage was Ted Williams who hit 2 home runs and knocked in 5. This offset Cy Young's lackluster outing who gave up 5 in 4 and 1/3, but the good guys prevailed, 8-6. It would have been a sweep, but the bats were silent in game 3 and Pedro Martinez's one-hitter was wasted, 1-0. In a justification of hunch play, Yogi Berra was series MVP!

A much sterner test is upcoming against the Trenton Christians who won 120 games during the regular season and have 7 perfect league rings as well. The Magpies have the edge in pitching, but only if Cy Young the Great shows up. Meanwhile, both 100+ win teams in the other conference were sent packing, so the winner between Trenton and Collingwood will be a heavy favorite in the finals.

Last edited by bailey; 10-20-2019 at 03:14 PM.
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #68
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23 View Post
At the very least, Huntley will not be swept; with homers from Mantle, Gehrig, and Yelich off Pedro, and Rube Waddell no-hitting Jersey into the 8th, Huntley takes game 1, 4-0!
And in game 2, trailing 2-0 in the 8th, Huntley rallies against Cy Young and Lee Smith, with the big blow a 3-run shot by Ken Griffey Jr off Smith, to stun Jersey again, 4-3, and take a 2-0 Sub-League Series lead!

Even though anything can happen, and Jersey is certainly capable of winning 4 of 5 against the Red Raiders (they won 5 of 6 in the regular season, after all), Huntley has already exceeded all expectations!

Old 10-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #69
Nero
Minors (Triple A)

The Express knocked off the Toucans 12-5 in the Wild Card game, and tore thru the 140 game winning Maine Gems 3 games 1, where the 1 was another blown save from Mariano Rivera. Who at this point, I've got to move to a marginal role in the pen in the hopes he can beat the cold streak.

Our opponent in the NCS is going to be the...drum roll please....Dallas Renegades, featuring our first husband versus wife playoff match-up, okay, really since this is the fist season we've found each other in the same league, our first match. Serious bragging rights are at stake here, but of course the topping on the cake will be beating the other, and walking away with a PL trophy, without the trophy, it won't be complete! The Renegades made 3 to 1 work of the Fortunaz Fortunaz in their series, and they are hot. We've got a match-up of lefty hitters and pitchers in a lefty park (The Renegades) against a team of righty hitters in a righty park....let the best team win!

The Tombstone Glory fought hard against the Akron Spiders, but lost a 6-2 Game 5 that ended our season. The bats were cold in the postseason, and Mordecai Brown dropped 2 of his 3 starts, so the Spiders beat my best, and congrats to them for advancing as they were the better team!
Old 10-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #70
RunninYakAngler
Minors (Triple A)

The YakAnglers take game 5 against the Sauk Centre Landsharks by a score of 9-5. Like last season it was my 98 Gooden against their Perfect Gooden, but this time it wouldn't go to 13 innings. For the season the YakAnglers went 103-59 and won the division over Sauk Centre by 11 games.

Struggling to score runs, shortly after the Division Series wrapped up we grabbed Perfect Yelich to bolster the lineup. I was needing another good pitcher to back up Gooden and Spud Chandler, but felt some pop would do us some good. We were seriously considering waiting for 99 Ted Williams, but liked the added defense for Yelich. At least we are now back to Perfect League!

The Marathoners finished 82-80 but finished strong and just fell shy of being .500. They won 22 of 33 to have a decent showing. 96 Gibson was added late in August and seemed to solidify the staff.

Oh the Miners. A season that was looking so great, leading at one point by 12 games, ended in the most monumentally epic collapse I've ever been a part of.
On August 29th they won their 74th game and wouldn't win their 79th until Sept 26th. A 5-22 skid where if they scored 8 runs they'd give up 9, and if they gave up 1 run they wouldn't score. Then they go on to win 3 of the last 4 just to miss the wildcard by 1 game. Just before the skid started, I knew we needed some offense so I almost bought 92 Rose, instead I buy 21 packs and end up with 1 Diamond, RP Vazquez. It's like my team was punishing me for my stupidity.

RunninYakAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #71
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Back in Huntley for game 3, the Red Raiders' Ed Walsh put up this pitching line: 9.0 innings, 1 hit (a triple by George Brett with 2 outs in the 5th inning), no runs, no walks, 8 Ks.

Needless to say, Huntley won the game 7-0 and is now up 3-0 in the series!

I am very much aware that it wouldn't be shocking if Jersey won 4 in a row. But still...I am flabbergasted, you guys.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:46 PM   #72
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

The Frogs bowed out immediately in the playoffs, losing the WC game 3-2 to the Michigan Stags. I had noticed the Stags were starting LIVE Anthony Rizzo all season, but must've made some substitutions/checked their team before the playoffs because it was 93 Jeff Bagwell that started at 1B and hit the decisive 2-run homer off of 100 Tom Seaver. And that brings up the other issue--Seaver? Why didn't Ed Walsh start for the Frogs? Well, I thought Walsh would be 100% rested because the 5th starter had just been used in G162, but then I remembered I have the rotation set to "always start highest rested" and Walsh actually started G161. The layoff wasn't quite long enough with playing the earlier WC game, so I rolled the dice with Seaver rather than start Walsh at 70%, and it clearly didn't work out.

Looking forward to the new collection missions next week and making tons of PP hopefully.

Good luck to all still simming!

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #73
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Saints have a lead in the NLCS...
Attached Images

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #74
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post
The Express knocked off the Toucans 12-5 in the Wild Card game, and tore thru the 140 game winning Maine Gems 3 games 1, where the 1 was another blown save from Mariano Rivera. Who at this point, I've got to move to a marginal role in the pen in the hopes he can beat the cold streak.
I find the AI will use the closer when tired even though fully rested middle relievers are available. So, I bench Mariano below 90% and that seems to help. During the season, I use a "7th inning stopper" which also helps allow for the closer to get more rest (if you can find a good stopper, or the cure is worse than the disease.)
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #75
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Two interesting conference finals in P443...

Louisville won the first two games at home 2-1 and 2-1 behind Cy Young and Walter Johnson. Ruth and Mantle hit back-to-back HRs in the bottom of the ninth to win game 1 in a walk-off. Interstate 80 won the third game back in their park 3-2. Rizzuto tripled in a run and Trout hit a 2-run HR off Schilling in the fifth and Sutton/Eck/Gagne made it stand up.

In the other conference, the LA Kings (95-67) have won the first two games on the road against the 137-win Everett Aqua Sox. Yes, THAT Aqua Sox!
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #76
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post

Louisville won the first two games at home 2-1 and 2-1 behind Cy Young and Walter Johnson. Ruth and Mantle hit back-to-back HRs in the bottom of the ninth to win game 1 in a walk-off. Interstate 80 won the third game back in their park 3-2. Rizzuto tripled in a run and Trout hit a 2-run HR off Schilling in the fifth and Sutton/Eck/Gagne made it stand up.

In the other conference, the LA Kings (95-67) have won the first two games on the road against the 137-win Everett Aqua Sox. Yes, THAT Aqua Sox!

Your boys are good man, should be an interesting finish.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #77
Nero
Minors (Triple A)

The Renegades have taken a 2-0 lead, and have blown out Cy Young and Rube Waddell. Game 3 shifts back to Austin, where I'm hoping to even the score, but my opponent is bringing Ed Walsh and Greg Maddux to town to try to neutralize my right handed advantage. Out foxed by the wife.....I'm never going to live this one down. Can't let her poach one at my park, and have to pray I can sneak one in hers....but really, down 0-2, gotta take it one game at a time!
Old 10-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #78
Nero
Minors (Triple A)

Make it 2-1.....

Walter Johnson took care of business throwing a 3 hitter, and we ripped Ed Walsh for 8 runs. Going to make this a series yet!
Old 10-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #79
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

P407: A Game 5 to Remember in Huntley

Lee Smith stood on the mound for Jersey. It was the bottom of the 9th inning in game 5 of the Sub-League Series, and Smith was on to face the bottom of Huntley's order and preserve the 4-1 Revolutionize lead. Despite winning 15 fewer games during the regular season, Huntley had shockingly won the first 3 games of the series, but Jersey had taken game 4 8-5 in 13 innings and looked poised to bring the series back to Jersey with a second straight win. The Revolutionize's Waite Hoyt (6.0 innings, 1 run) had out-pitched Red Raiders ace, Rube Waddell (6.2 innings, 3 runs [2 earned]), backed by a 2-run homer by Josh Bell, a solo shot by Ty Cobb, and an RBI by Rogers Hornsby.

But then...

Carl Yastrzemski greeted Smith with a single, and Arky Vaughan followed with a single of his own. Manager rfrankel84 wasted no time in going to his bullpen, bringing in Old Pete Alexander to snuff out the rally. But George Brett knocked Huntley's third straight single, loading the bases with no one out.

Leadoff hitter Luke Appling quickly fell behind 0-2. He took ball 1, but then grounded the next pitch into a 4-6-3 double play. Yaz scored and Vaughan went to third, but Jersey gladly let Huntley narrow their lead to 4-2 in exchange for 2 quick outs.

Representing Huntley's final hope, Lou Gehrig worked the count into his favor. On the 2-1 pitch, he rolled Huntley's fourth single of the inning into the outfield! Vaughan raced home to bring Huntley within 1!

Christian Yelich was next, and he decided, "Why mess with a good thing?" and recorded Huntley's fifth single in the 9th, advancing Gehrig to second base.

Up to the plate strode Ken Griffey Jr. The young centerfielder had added to his great regular season with an MVP performance in the Division Series win versus DDingu. Griffey swung at Alexander's first pitch and, yes, hit Huntley's sixth single of the inning! Gehrig raced home with the tying run!

Yogi Berra grounded out, but Huntley had life!

Eric Gagne worked a 1-2-3 10th for the Red Raiders, and after a 1-out walk in the 11th, Huntley's Lee Smith recorded the final 2 outs to keep the game tied 4-4.

In the bottom of the 11th, Alexander, now in his third inning of work, rubbed the baseball as Lou Gehrig settled into the batter's box. He went into his windup and delivered the pitch.

Gehrig swung--and it was a high drive, deep right-centerfield! Josh Bell ran back, back, back, but it was gone! A walk-off, game-winning, Sub-League Series winning blast by Lou Gehrig! And the Huntley Red Raiders shocked the world!

Old 10-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #80
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post

The I-80 Defenders won all three home games to send the series back to Louisville. The home field is very important in this series because we have quite different parks and each team is well-suited to play at home.

The Aqua Sox took back their home field advantage with a pair of wins to even their series at 2-2.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote