Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
OldCoach
Bat Boy

1934 World Series

I'm really enjoying playing Historical Exhibition World Series replays. This game reminds me of the APBA baseball game which I owned when I was in high school. I played that game for many years.

Recently I replayed the 1934 World Series 3 times. After those replays, I get the impression that it was an upset for the St. Louis Cardinals to win that series over the Tigers. In my first 2 replays the Detroit Tigers won the series 4-2. In the 1st replay, the Tigers lead the series 3-1 when the Cardinals eked out a 3-2 win in game 5. The Tigers won game six 10-2. In this replay, the Tigers won game one 11-0, beating Dizzy Dean. In real life the Cardinals won game seven 11-0 with Dean the winning pitcher.

In the second replay, St. Louis took a 2-0 lead with the Dean brothers winning both games at home. The Tigers swept the next 4 games to win the series. In game five the Cardinals with Dizzy Dean pitching lead 6-1 going into the bottom of the 8th inning. Dean had only given up 1 run on three hits. He had struck out 6. The first Tiger got on with an error. Dean walked the next two batters and allowed one to score on a wild pitch. Another walk and another wild pitch brought in another run. It finally ended with 2 runs walked in, 2 scored on wild pitches and 2 unearned on errors. It was as though I was watching a little league game. The Tigers beat Paul Dean in game 6 when the Cardinals blew a 3-0 lead in the late innings.

In the 3rd replay, the Cardinals won the first 2 games at home, one in Detroit and then they won game 6 in St. Louis. Even in that replay, Detroit out hit St. Louis almost 2-1.

I saw something weird when I replayed the 1927 series between the New York Yankees and Pittsburgh Pirates. The Yankees won my replay series 4-1, which was not unexpected. The Pirate 7-5 victory in game three was strange in that the Yankees committed 5 errors in one inning and a total of 7 for the game. They totally "booted" the game away. I started to think I had Marvelous Marvin Throneberry playing 1st base for the Yankees rather than Lou Gehrig. Gehrig made three errors. It looked like little leaguers had replaced the New York infield. In total the Yankees committed 12 errors in the 5 game series.
OldCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:54 AM   #2
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

Well, the Yanks made 196 errors in 1927, 15 of those by Gehrig. Shortstop Mark Koenig committed 47 himself. So not really that unusual.
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:45 AM   #3
brushbackz
Bat Boy

and things were different back then. Players got hammered a lot more the night before a game, obviously.
brushbackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Also the gloves were so different back then. Nothing at all like they are today, and there were many times when the ball would hit the glove and the guys wouldn't be able to corral it
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushbackz View Post
and things were different back then. Players got hammered a lot more the night before a game, obviously.
Schedule was different too. Travel days were only used in cases of eastern cities playing western cities; otherwise, the games were played on consecutive days.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #6
DaBears
Major Leagues

Great book called "The Gashouse Gang" on the 1934 Cardinals that goes into a lot of depth on the '34 World Series. Highly recommend.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America on God's Earth
Have that book, actually. But haven't finished it yet, if I've begun reading it by now. If I have, I think I've liked it so far. CD out.
Clovidequano Dovatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #8
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovidequano Dovatha View Post
Have that book, actually. But haven't finished it yet, if I've begun reading it by now. If I have, I think I've liked it so far. CD out.
Don't worry, we won't tell you how it ends.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote