Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
biekert
Bat Boy

Question (Extreme) height of starting pitcher - affects performance?

In an online league I'm in, I have a SP with 8-6-3 attributes (and 8-7-4 potential) on a 1-10 scale who is absolutely lighting the league on fire despite 1.5 current stars (3 potential).

He also happens to be an astounding 7 feet tall (and 255 pounds)! My question is whether extreme pitcher height makes a difference, as it certainly seems to from the observed evidence to date. I've exhaustively scoured the Internet for topics on pitcher height, and all I've established definitively is that Markus has posted that low pitcher height makes SPs less likely to develop stamina, and to have a lower chance of "putting it all together". But it certainly does seem like his highly unusual height is assisting his performance, at the very least in a much-higher-than-expected K/9 rate (which is consistent with a fastball travelling a foot less far on the way home). Any opinions?
biekert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it can influence certain things relative to development or possibly at point of creation.... i believe manual alludes to the idea that a taller pitcher is more likely to gain velocity than a shorter pitcher? getting fat will make them more likeely to lose defensive ability etc...

so, if it has an effect it is on stuff like that. influencing how ratings change...

however, his stuff is his stuff... change his height and they don't change... neither does control or movement. so, it doens't affect how the ratingsn are plugged into whatever context that arises on field.

if you see elevated k/9 and it stays high, i'd look to pitch selection, ratio of what is best, second best and by how much etc and combination of control/movement. i bet if you find other simiilar rated players with same pitches and same ratio of pitch qualities, they'll be similar in k/9. (many relevant factors to match up)

it may affect how things develop? but not a direct effect on success.

postulating similar things:

maybe tall batters are less likely to be created with a high eye/patience rating due to larger strike zone considerations?

however, take any high eye/patience ratings and change their height and you will continue to get similar results with bb% relative to volatility inherent in that sample size of observation.

same with what i mentioned above about getting fat... maintain their defenseive ratings and make them 5'1' 350lbs and they will still play to their defensive ratings. over time they may be more likely to drop if you don't manually edit them to maintain them. (not sure if that's a real factor at all, but i'm certain the results will remain if the ratings remain the same regardless of hieght/weight)
**edit: error in previous paragraph
height does impact defensive play for at least 1 position... i shouldn't have said 'change hieght'... just fatness... lol.. you can verify that height will and does affect defensive ability at 1st base... could be the same elswhere, i don't look at it that closely beyond the resulting ratings.

if you change height and no ratings change, then it doesn't have an impact.

it may have been a factor at creation or even an effect on development/aging and any change over time as an influential facor, but it in and of itself does not directly cause results to occur. the ratings do that.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-26-2018 at 06:00 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote