Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
samoka10
Bat Boy

Pitcher stamina

Does it really matter? What is cutoff to be an effective starter? I've seen one you pitcher traded (who only had 8 stamina) put up a sub 3 era with over 200 inning pitched.........how is that possible with such low stamina? does stamina matter for starters?
samoka10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Stamina matters a lot. What is your ratings scale? The number 8 means nothing without it.

A screen shot would help.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
samoka10
Bat Boy

the rating system is out of 20.....and he had a 3.75 era with about 216 innings pitched
Name:  a thomas.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  135.3 KB

Last edited by samoka10; 03-30-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
samoka10
Bat Boy

if i knew he could do that i would have kept him

Last edited by samoka10; 03-30-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
samoka10
Bat Boy

any idea how 8 of 20 stamina is good enough to be a 200 inning starter

Last edited by samoka10; 03-30-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

His stats and visible ratings suggest he is a stud GB power pitcher throwing mid 90's.

216 inning in 34 starts is 6.35 innings per start. If his stuff is as good as the numbers suggest he'll get many DP and other GB that help reduce pitches/AB. It seems to me he is a classic modern thrower good for 6 innings per start.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 03-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
samoka10
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
His stats and visible ratings suggest he is a stud GB power pitcher throwing mid 90's.

216 inning in 34 starts is 6.35 innings per start. If his stuff is as good as the numbers suggest he'll get many DP and other GB that help reduce pitches/AB. It seems to me he is a classic modern thrower good for 6 innings per start.
so 8 stamina gets you a 6 inning starter?......so why bother worrying about starting pitcher stamina
Old 03-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoka10 View Post
if i knew he could do that i would have kept him
The infield defense behind him has to be good. Did he even start for you? I'd bet he was a two pitch pitcher in the minors. In real life, many players don't generate stats that tell you what they can be.

Quote:
any idea how 8 of 20 stamina is good enough to be a 200 inning starter
He may have gotten a boost on his third pitch. Think logically, if he has a good changeup to go with his stud fastball he could generate weak GB all the time. Notice that he only K's 6.3 per 9 innings. The low K rate clearly supports my previous analysis.

RichW

Old 03-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
so 8 stamina gets you a 6 inning starter?......so why bother worrying about starting pitcher stamina
You are not reading what I wrote. If he has poor IF defense he is nothing. You don't know what ratings boosts he may have gotten.

Why be hostile?

RichW

Old 03-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
samoka10
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
You are not reading what I wrote. If he has poor IF defense he is nothing. You don't know what ratings boosts he may have gotten.

Why be hostile?
not being hostile.....im just frustrated...... i understand what your saying about how he can be successful......

but i just dont see how this guy can go 200+ innings
Old 03-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
samoka10
Bat Boy

Name:  a thomas.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  155.7 KB

check out with ratings shown a year later
Old 03-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
not being hostile.....im just frustrated...... i understand what your saying about how he can be successful......

but i just dont see how this guy can go 200+ innings
If batters don't make good contact, you don't walk too many or allow too many HR, success is almost assured.

He could be out of baseball in 2-3 seasons.

RichW

Old 03-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

From what I've seen, the best way to compare a low stamina guy with a higher stamina guy is to look at his pitching log from a given season - that way you can see every start, how many innings he went, and get an idea if he has to be pulled because of tiredness or because of giving up too many runs, etc.

Also, if you believe pitcher stamina is worthless, you can try what I did - look at your player search for pitchers who had the highest innings pitched in a season and customize it to include their stamina - in my league I saw a very rare low stamina pitcher who had put in some good innings, but they are by far the exception, not the rule. At the top of the list are high to medium stamina guys, with an occasional lower stamina guy lower on the list - it's far from a random distribution.

In my opinion there is no cutoff for a good starter - if I have a guy who looks dominant I will try to start him even with a low stamina - I might put him on a pitch limit but I will give him a try - maybe one season he will do well, another not so well. For me the combination of a pitch limit and being a bit quicker with the hook in his personal strategy can help a low stamina starter be more useful.

Last edited by Peregrine; 03-30-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
From what I've seen, the best way to compare a low stamina guy with a higher stamina guy is to look at his pitching log from a given season - that way you can see every start, how many innings he went, and get an idea if he has to be pulled because of tiredness or because of giving up too many runs, etc.
I'd say compare him to existing players in the game today. There are several in this list who are obvious analogues.

I'd say numbers 2, 3, 4, 5 on that list are obvious. Only 3 CG between the 4 of them.
Attached Images

RichW