Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 07-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
Bengal57
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Trying to create a league of historic teams

I downloaded the demo to see if I liked this game as I have been considering this game along with a major competitor and make up my mind which one would be best for me. This is what I want to do and I am having so many problems I want to take the 16 greatest world series winners in history starting with the 1909 Pirates up to the 2014 Giants and have a small season then play offs. However picking the historic teams by era instead of the team itself is confusing. Can someone please explain to me or point me the the direction where a beginner to this game can find this out. I have watched the videos and read the manual and I am afraid it didnt help much. I'm sure it's probably easy and I'm just missing it. but so that I can make an informed opinion before my demo time runs out in order to buy I need help. thank you
Bengal57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

-choose 'create fictional league'

-setup your league structure (i.e. - if you want the modern MLB structure, just choose that in the drop-down) - click 'next step'

-just below the 'league level' there is a red button that says 'switch to historical team selection'. Click that.

- then just select the year/team to fill in every division and proceed with the rest of your setup.(uncheck all the minors if you're just looking for a mlb league of champions without a minor league system under it).

as you're setting up the league, click 'advanced options'.

-under the 'rules' tab, uncheck the 'enable trades' box if you want to stop the AI from making trades during the season (if you want to keep the historical teams intact for the season). Might also want to uncheck the amateur draft as well, assuming you're just playing a one-season league and not a multi-season career mode.

-under the 'players' tab, change 'generate international free agents', 'international scouting discoveries', 'generate international established free agents', and 'generate free agents from independent leagues' to None. This will keep the odd fictional player from popping up into your historical mix.

edit: one "issue" you might find is what era to set the replay stats (i.e. - do you go with deadball era settings, which might put modern teams at a disadvantage; or do you go with modern day settings, which could put early 20th century teams at a disadvantage. Of course, that's half the fun of this game, in that it lets you replay the same group of teams under different settings to see how that impacts the final outcome).

Last edited by stl jason; 07-04-2015 at 03:48 PM.
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
Bengal57
Minors (Rookie Ball)

thanks much
Old 07-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #4
Bengal57
Minors (Rookie Ball)

OMG it was so easy I can't believe it, I knew it would be when I finally got it. Thanks much.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
DSnellen
Bat Boy

I'm trying something similar. I think stl_jason hit the big points. I'm still a newbie and this has been a major source of frustration for me.

Some other things I would look at:

--make sure you play as commissioner
--you don't have to be a manager of any team
--go through all the options and make sure you disable anything that might affect the rosters: AI trades, free agents, etc.
--IMPORTANT: If you want to replay the league be sure to make a backup as soon as you are done creating the league No matter how many option screens you dig through, you're bound to miss something. If you don't restore from a backup you'll have to recreate the league from scratch. At least, that's my experience.

The point stl brought up is critical. The first time I tried simming a league I didn't carefully inspect the options and I had people hitting 200 home runs and batting .600. In my league, the 09 Pirates were the "number 1 seed" so I made all the settings based on 1909 and that turned out a lot better.

This is eventually going to lead to the "well these logos and uniforms aren't correct" downward spiral. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun spiral to explore but it will consume much much more time than actually putting the league together. :-)

One thing I've never been able to figure out is how to make the DH rule specific to teams rather than subleagues. It would be nice to use the DH for the '98 Yankees but not for the '27 Yankees, even though they might be in the same subleague. The only approach I can think of is to use the default for whoever is the highest seed, but that seems profoundly unfair.

This last problem has brought my project to a grinding halt. :-(