Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts

Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #141
brobby05
Minors (Triple A)

1974 Ron Diorio

Here's the 1974 Ron Diorio. Please give me your feedback. My last Phillie is the 1974 Dave Wallace. I need some advice on the glasses.

Thanks,

BRobby05
Attached Images
brobby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #142
krantzbucks
Hall Of Famer

Angel Hermoso

Angel Remy Hermoso 1974 Indians.

This is a fairly nice image for colorizing. The player image is sharp with good resolution of the face and uniform. The background isn't great though. The sky is washed out and almost plain white and the tree line is a bit blurry. The bat is also very undefined.
I decided in this case to start with the background. The first thing I did was trace the outline of the trees at the bottom. I then selected a nice dark green to try to hide the lack of detail. This remains a weak part of the image.
Next, I traced under Hermoso's arms and over the tree line and chose a bluish gray for the sky. I then traced around Hermoso so that I could finish the background. I made a bit of a mistake here as I forgot the top portion of the bat. When I got to the part of the bat between Hermoso's hands and where it disappeared behind his face I discovered that there is no discernible line on the left side of the bat. This led me to have to make a guess about the outline, so I attempted to follow the way the bat widens as it gets longer.I colored in the sky the same bluish gray I had used before, but found it was lacking in detail. There are some options in the "Filters" drop-down menu at the top of GIMP to add noise and blurs. One of these choices is "render" and to the left is "clouds." I chose the last option "solid noise" and then chose colorize and used the sliders to get a blue-gray color to try to match the sky in-between the arms.
Then I opened a second copy of the original black and white image. At the top, I traced around the side of the bat that has a line and then I had to fudge the other side, flipping back to the other image for reference. When I was satisfied, I cut and pasted the black and white bat-barrel into my work-in-progress. Third try was the charm.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
krantzbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #143
krantzbucks
Hall Of Famer

Angel Hermoso

After getting the 1974 Indians reference uniform from 'Dressed to the Nines', I decided that Hermoso was wearing a home uniform based on the whiteness of the uniform. I traced around the hat and colored it a nice deep blue. After that, I traced around the face and hair and then his hands, using the same color for both.
Next, I went back to my second open copy of the Hermoso image and traced around the 'C' in the logo on the cap. I gave it a bright red, and then traced around the entire logo. I selected the image and then copy and pasted it onto my slowly progressing colorized Hermoso, placing it over top the blued out 'C' logo. I then cut and pasted the eye-whites and teeth from the black and white image onto Hermoso's face.
Next, the uniform. Referencing the diagram, I colored in the bottom stripe on the jersey, the top stripe of the waistband and the number on the back in red. Then it was on to the undershirt sleeve, what could be seen of the 'Indians' on the front of the jersey, the top stripe on the jersey sleeve, the bottom stripe of the waistband and what was visible of 'Hermoso' on the back of the uniform. I had to cut and paste I tiny portion of the negative space in the 'R' so that it was white like the jersey.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by krantzbucks; 06-19-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #144
krantzbucks
Hall Of Famer

Angel Hermoso

That left the real problem areas of the image, the shoulder patch and the bat. I looked around for a color version of the Indians emblem on the shoulder and found a couple of reference shots from which to use. I colored the circle blue. Enlarging the image as much as possible, I colored in the head-dress and baseball stitches in red. I then carefully traced around the shadowed areas that remained, coloring them in blue to match the reference image. I did this in three parts so as to leave some of the white areas in the background of the emblem.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 06-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #145
krantzbucks
Hall Of Famer

Angel Hermoso

The bat was all that was left. The bat poses several problems. It is almost entirely washed out and white with no grain of the bat or any details. This makes color look very flat which in turn makes the bat look two-dimensional. I made several attempts to add texture to the bat (filter noise, blurring, there is an option in the 'edit' menu 'fill with pattern' that provides a wood-grain look but it is very cartoony) but none of these were very convincing. In the end, I decided to give Hermoso a black bat to hide the bat imperfection as best I could.
I thought that the completed image turned out pretty well. The Hermoso portion I thought looks good (though I am not sure what is going on with the thumb) Weaknesses are the trees and that dad-blasted bat (I spent a lot of fruitless effort working on that thing) I hope this walkthrough provided enough detail for you.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by krantzbucks; 06-20-2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: added image resizings.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #146
brobby05
Minors (Triple A)

Hermoso Pic

You did a beautiful job!!! I'm gonna try to cut-n-paste your descriptions into a Word doc. Thanks for the help. I have a semi-portrait of Hermoso that I want to try now after I do Dave Wallace. Then I have a 1971 Metzger to try.

Thanks,

BRobby05
Old 06-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #147
keonleafs
Major Leagues

Angel Hermoso

WOW!! Great job, and many thanks for teaching us the art of colorization!! And also thanks for taking time to share your passion with us.
keonleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #148
brobby05
Minors (Triple A)

74 Dave Cash

I forgot about the 74 Dave Cash with the Phils. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

BRobby05
Attached Images
Old 06-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #149
krantzbucks
Hall Of Famer

Hersh Martin 1937

Hersh Martin with the New York Yankees. Congrats on the Dave Cash photo. It is very vivid and looks almost like a real color photo. In this business, "almost" is as close as we can get! Great work!
Attached Images
Old 06-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #150
cheech411
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobby05 View Post
I forgot about the 74 Dave Cash with the Phils. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

BRobby05
like a pro!!!
cheech411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #151
brobby05
Minors (Triple A)

1974 Dave Wallace

Thanks for the compliments fellas...I had a good teacher. Here's the 1974 Dave Wallace ready for the adjustment on the glasses.

Thanks,

BRobby05
Attached Images
Old 06-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #152
brobby05
Minors (Triple A)

1971 Roger Metzger

Here's my 1971 Roger Metzger. Does anything need fixed? BTW, I've been using PSP 11.

Thanks,

BRobby05
Attached Images
Old 06-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #153
krantzbucks
Hall Of Famer

Metzger

Quote:
Here's my 1971 Roger Metzger. Does anything need fixed? BTW, I've been using PSP 11.

Thanks,

BRobby05
You have really hit your stride with this one. The Orange is perfect, and that shoulder patch is truly a marvel to look at. Well done!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #154
brobby05
Minors (Triple A)

71 Metzger

Thanks for the compliments. Actually, I didn't do the sleeve emblem...I did what you had mentioned once. I took a photo of a real one and fixed the size and rotated it to look like the one in the pic. There's NO way I could have recolored one. How's my Wallace?

Thanks,

BRobby05
Old 06-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #155
krantzbucks
Hall Of Famer

Dave Wallace

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments fellas...I had a good teacher. Here's the 1974 Dave Wallace ready for the adjustment on the glasses.

Thanks,

BRobby05
Here's my modification on Dave Wallace. I cut and pasted the glasses (including a little bit of the highlight around the frames) from the black and white original into your colorized image. I then whitened the eyes and then traced around the lens part of the glasses and used the brightness/contrast option found in "colors" in GIMP to slightly shade the lenses. The third image includes a "lens flare" which can be found in the filters menu under "light and shadow". It can be positioned wherever you want, but there's a little dot over Wallace's right eye that I used as a reference point. I then faded it a bit using the option to do so in the "edit" menu. To be honest I could take or leave that effect, but I had never really tried it before.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 06-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #156
krantzbucks
Hall Of Famer

Chuck Coles 1958

Here's a colorization I have done of Chuck Coles with the Cincinnati Reds. I cut and pasted the frames of the glasses on top of the colorized portrait to make the glasses stand out a little more (it helps that they are wire frames). These were a little easier than the Dave Wallace image as it is head-on so that the distortion effect of the glasses on the side of the face (such as with Wallace) doesn't have to be dealt with.
Kind of interesting side-note with Chuck Coles, I used the dressed to the nines website for uniform reference and it would appear that Coles is wearing his home jersey (note the pinstripes) in combination with the hat the 1958 Reds wore on the road (no pinstripes.) I don't know when the photo was taken so perhaps this is a spring training photo or something since Coles only appeared with the Reds in 1958.
Attached Images
Old 06-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #157
brobby05
Minors (Triple A)

1971 Mike Epstein

Thanks for the Dave Wallace...it looks great! Here's the 1971 Mike Epstein. Can you improve what I did already? I need help with the pinstripes around the neck and sleeves and background. It's orange/green/orange (of course the shades that have been used.

Thanks for the help!

BRobby05
Attached Images
Old 06-21-2012, 03:26 AM   #158
krantzbucks
Hall Of Famer

Mike Epstein

Quote:
Thanks for the Dave Wallace...it looks great! Here's the 1971 Mike Epstein. Can you improve what I did already? I need help with the pinstripes around the neck and sleeves and background. It's orange/green/orange (of course the shades that have been used.

Thanks for the help!

BRobby05
I did a little work on your Mike Epstein image. The striping around the collar and shoulder was done by coloring in the orange background (just trace around the entire stripe) and then by colorizing the green portion in the middle on a second copy of the image and cutting and pasting the green on top of the orange.
The background here is pretty sparse. I thought the part in the left corner looked like the separation of a stadium tier so I colored it in like the sky. The seats just below that I chose green. And I wasn't sure what the rectangle on the other side was so I presumed a light and colored it yellow.

Don't know if you have downloaded the batters pack on this site, but there is a pretty good Epstein/A's image which I have included. Also a shot from a Topps Baseball card which appears to have the A's uni you want.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 06-21-2012, 03:35 AM   #159
krantzbucks
Hall Of Famer

Steve Jones 1967

Here's Steve Jones with the Kansas City Royals, presumably from 1969.
Attached Images
Old 06-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #160
brobby05
Minors (Triple A)

1971-1974 A's

Hi Krantzbucks,

Thanks for the Epstein. I knew about those others but I like the one I tried since it was close and no shadows were on the face. I really did a stupid job on the cap...it was too bright for the rest. Could you do a few of the A's for me with also redoing the Epstein from scratch. It was harder than even the Metzger for me. I'll have to rescan the Epstein...dingbat (me) went and deleted the B & W already. Here's the 1971 Duncan and Larry Brown. I know about the card of Duncan but the face was shaded. I also have a B & W of Allan Lewis from 72-73 that doesn't have a card. Unless you have some nice clear portraits from the Topps positive site...I don't have anything nice on these that I'm scanning.

Thanks,

BRobby05
Attached Images
Image Image