Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team > Auction House Forum

Auction House Forum Looking for a particular card? Found a steal? Post here!

Old 07-02-2019, 12:01 AM   #1
Dave1408
Minors (Double A)

Sniping auction deals

I've been trying to get my team going by looking for deals in the auction house and re-posting the buys for a profit. But it seems like the "Average winning bid (past 7 days)" that pops up when you go to post an auction is really preventing any major deals from actually being posted. Most of the cards I see get posted close enough to that value that it's impossible to actually make a profit. I'm not looking for any inside tips or anything like that but just a general sense of whether it's actually possible to build a team slowly through auction house flips? Thanks!
Dave1408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:20 AM   #2
rtkretz
Minors (Double A)

Definitely Possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1408 View Post
I've been trying to get my team going by looking for deals in the auction house and re-posting the buys for a profit. But it seems like the "Average winning bid (past 7 days)" that pops up when you go to post an auction is really preventing any major deals from actually being posted. Most of the cards I see get posted close enough to that value that it's impossible to actually make a profit. I'm not looking for any inside tips or anything like that but just a general sense of whether it's actually possible to build a team slowly through auction house flips? Thanks!

I know there will be others with more experience flipping that could speak more on it than me, but I have had some success by picking my spots. Right now prices are still somewhat inflated from the release of collection missions, so we are waiting to see what the new "baseline" will be for a lot of cards. Coming out of a period of market instability can be frustrating if you are looking for deals.

My best advice would be to look for opportunities where there is a temporary glut of a specific card on the market. In these situations sellers will end up bidding against themselves and drive the prices down. As an example, there is currently a glut of Bill Dahlen cards on the market, which will temporarily drive prices down. Finding pockets of oversupply will be easier than looking for the rare example where someone is just trying to dump a card at a great price, although it does happen.

My takeaway would be that flipping can be done, and can be extremely profitable, but takes time, patience, and a little luck!

rtkretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:44 AM   #3
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1408 View Post
You're right that people are pretty slavish to the 7-day averages, but it is absolutely possible to fund your team by flipping cards. That is largely how I built my team, and this team is currently having some success in perfect level.

As a 100% F2P squad, I've actually been tracking sales for my team in Excel. I've bought and sold (or kept) 374 cards on the AH (excluding ones for the missions that are sunk cost and ones I pull out of packs so they're essentially all profit) and that's a total of 1.2M PP of revenue and 10% of that has been profit (after accounting for the 10% sales tax). I think there are others that do even higher PP re-selling that might have gaudier numbers than these.

It's really more about quantity of deals with a lesser margin than making a handful of deals with huge margins. Unless you got lucky prospecting on the collection missions craze, that is. Odds are you're not buying a card for 25K, listing it for 75K, and raking in the difference immediately. The marketplace is smarter than that for the most part. But, you buy a card people want and usually retails for 6K at 5K and then sell for 7.5K. Rinse lather and repeat. Take advantage of the LIVE updates when you see guys getting hot or cooling off. Take advantage of the best times of day/week to sell. Weekends, Sundays especially as teams churn over rosters, and overnights are generally good. More of a seller's market then.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:03 AM   #4
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

You can definitely find multiple great deals every day, like f.e. silver cards worth about 500 PP being posted for 150 PP minimum bid, and nobody else will jump in. Same for gold cards. It gets a bit harder at the diamond level because the 10% tax gets pretty expensive after a while...

I started a team on Memorial Day that does nothing but trading for profit and is somewhere around 48k of profit now (this includes cards on the current roster, where profits haven't been actually realized; or losses, for that matter; took a 5k beating on Peak Roberto Clemente over the last week...) and I usually only check in two or three times a day.

The team is in Silver as of now, and was rather close to promoting to Gold last week... plenty of golds on the roster, and like five diamonds. No dime spent and no pack ripped besides the starter packs obviously.

So, yes, it is possible.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Super easy with live cards that are on their way up. If someone gets to perfect and I don't have at least 3 copies ready then I'm disappointed. Historical cards require more patience but I've done a lot.

It's impossible to go through the hundreds of pages of the transaction log but I would guess I've made 500K-700K points on the market. So yeah, it's possible to improve your team that way.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
Dave1408
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for all the replies!
Dave1408 is offline   Reply With Quote