Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

19th century question / height

I’m doing a fictional 19th century league and all the players are very, very short. I think the tallest guy is like 6’2” and the league average height is probably 5’8”. I’m not complaining, don’t get me wrong! This is pretty historically accurate (although there were probably a couple people who were freakishly tall). I’m just wondering, is this by design? Does player size slowly increase on its own?

Also, what effects does height have on the game besides making a small difference in fielding at first base? (Note: I mean OOTP, not actual baseball; I can think of several things height can help or hinder with in the real life game.)
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
I’m doing a fictional 19th century league and all the players are very, very short. I think the tallest guy is like 6’2” and the league average height is probably 5’8”. I’m not complaining, don’t get me wrong! This is pretty historically accurate (although there were probably a couple people who were freakishly tall). I’m just wondering, is this by design? Does player size slowly increase on its own?
I believe the answer to both is "yes."

Quote:
Also, what effects does height have on the game besides making a small difference in fielding at first base? (Note: I mean OOTP, not actual baseball; I can think of several things height can help or hinder with in the real life game.)
Tall players have a better chance of becoming pitchers, at least in the modern game. Not sure about the nineteenth century, although even then pitchers tended to be on the tall side. There were, of course, some prominent exceptions, like Hoss Radbourn (5'9") and Pud Galvin (5'8"), but generally the best pitchers in the nineteenth century were 5'10" or taller, which made them stand out (literally) among their peers.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:34 PM   #3
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Right. I know that in real life height provides a pretty big advantage to pitching in that it provides you leverage. Also, it's easier to throw strikes at a larger target so I'd expect that walk rates are higher for smaller players, everything else being equal. My question is, what's actually in the *game*. I know that taller first basemen get a boost to their fielding ability but beyond that I'm not aware that OOTP has anything in it that gives bonuses or maluses.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 05-25-2019, 12:52 AM   #4
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My question is, what's actually in the *game*. I know that taller first basemen get a boost to their fielding ability but beyond that I'm not aware that OOTP has anything in it that gives bonuses or maluses.
Perhaps I was not explaining myself very well. Let me clarify my previous remarks:

In OOTP, tall players have a better chance of becoming pitchers, at least in the modern game as simulated by OOTP. Not sure about the nineteenth century as simulated by OOTP, although even then pitchers tended to be on the tall side. There were, of course, some prominent exceptions, like Hoss Radbourn (5'9") and Pud Galvin (5'8"), but generally the best pitchers in the nineteenth century were 5'10" or taller, which made them stand out (literally) among their peers.

I didn't know I had to make the italicized parts explicit, as this is an OOTP forum where we're talking about OOTP. I'm glad to have the opportunity to make that clear.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Ok, thanks!
Old 05-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #6
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

the average 19th century player was 5'9 170 lbs
the average 19th century pitcher was also 5'9 170 lbs
the average 19th century star pitcher was 5'9 170 lbs

in the 1870's 5'8 was the average by the early 1900's players had grown an inch or two to 5'10
Old 05-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
Fredrocker
Major Leagues

IIRC I remember reading where at 6'1" Honus Wagner was considered a monster

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Fredrocker is offline   Reply With Quote