Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
Beef burrito
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Historical managers?

How does the game determine what historical managers will be introduced in the game?

And when are they introduced?

I'm replaying Royals seasons beginning in 1969 and about to begin 1974 season. So far the game has not had Bob Lemon (managed KCR 1970-72) or Jack McKeon (managed KCR 1973-75). Is there something I need to do to get them in the game?

Was thinking of just creating them by changing name and characteristics of an unemployed manager, but held off thinking they'll eventually show up.

Is there a list somewhere of which historic managers OOTP introduces each year that I can reference?
Beef burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Beef burrito
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Does anyone know of a thread that discusses how to manage the franchise personnel?

Things like tips and affects personnel choices have on the game.

I've looked, but not found one. The game itself is so fantastic to play it has consumed most of my non-work time. The images for stadiums adds a whole new level of immersion into the game. I continue to discover new things about it everyday that have me going "WOW!!!" There is so much detail to everything.

Thank you in advance for any info that others can provide on this.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:33 AM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef burrito View Post
Does anyone know of a thread that discusses how to manage the franchise personnel?

Things like tips and affects personnel choices have on the game.

I've looked, but not found one. The game itself is so fantastic to play it has consumed most of my non-work time. The images for stadiums adds a whole new level of immersion into the game. I continue to discover new things about it everyday that have me going "WOW!!!" There is so much detail to everything.

Thank you in advance for any info that others can provide on this.
No guarantee that a historical MGR will ever be a MGR in your game. Some MGRS IRL that have not appeared in various historical sims of mine are Cox, La Russa & Torre. Some great MGRs that have appeared in my MLB game but have never managed IRL. Lenny Dykstra., Todd Hollandsworth & Raul Mondesi.
http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...sonnel_ratings
http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...h_page.profile
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
Beef burrito
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
No guarantee that a historical MGR will ever be a MGR in your game. Some MGRS IRL that have not appeared in various historical sims of mine are Cox, La Russa & Torre. Some great MGRs that have appeared in my MLB game but have never managed IRL. Lenny Dykstra., Todd Hollandsworth & Raul Mondesi.
http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...h_page.profile
Thank you for this info. It is very helpful. I'm disappointed that a game with as many awesome details as OTTP baseball has that it doesn't include all the historical personnel, or at least the owners and managers. Especially since it seems that the managers/coaches can have a significant impact on the success of a team.

On the positive, it's possible to change the fictional personnel to historical by editing, so that is very good. I'll just start doing that.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
Beef burrito
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Something cool I discovered is when retired players are looked up under "Available Actions" tab it gives option "turn into coach"!

This is great cause if a personnel person had a playing career they can now easily be a mgr, coach, scout, etc.

I'll be spending some enjoyable hours increasing my personnel pool!
Old 10-04-2017, 12:16 AM   #6
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Something cool I discovered is when retired players are looked up under "Available Actions" tab it gives option "turn into coach"!

This is great cause if a personnel person had a playing career they can now easily be a mgr, coach, scout, etc.

I'll be spending some enjoyable hours increasing my personnel pool!
Only works for former players. Most GM's didn't play nor did Maddon. Although this may be different with historical minor leaguers.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thank you for this info. It is very helpful. I'm disappointed that a game with as many awesome details as OTTP baseball has that it doesn't include all the historical personnel, or at least the owners and managers. Especially since it seems that the managers/coaches can have a significant impact on the success of a team.

On the positive, it's possible to change the fictional personnel to historical by editing, so that is very good. I'll just start doing that.
But how do rate a manager? Was Casey Stengel that good or was it his players? I would not mind having them in name only or a what if league but i would be skeptical of how much influence they might have on a strict historical league.
I use historical managers in name only. When your using actual rosters they seem to get close to their win/loss total since they have the same ballplayers. I just don't want to have Miller Huggins letting Babe Ruth steal more than he did in real life. Things like that i would have to know the historical managers don't have to big of influence. So if i have to limit historical managers then why not just use them in name only for historical leagues?
I just made a list of the managers and change them each season.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #8
Beef burrito
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
But how do rate a manager? Was Casey Stengel that good or was it his players? I would not mind having them in name only or a what if league but i would be skeptical of how much influence they might have on a strict historical league.
I use historical managers in name only. When your using actual rosters they seem to get close to their win/loss total since they have the same ballplayers. I just don't want to have Miller Huggins letting Babe Ruth steal more than he did in real life. Things like that i would have to know the historical managers don't have to big of influence. So if i have to limit historical managers then why not just use them in name only for historical leagues?
I just made a list of the managers and change them each season.
At this point I've only a vague idea of how managers/personnel influence the game. Makes sense to have option of using them in name only as it adds more life/color to the game without actually influencing/impacting it.

So far though I really like having the personnel with ratings that impact the game. It adds a whole new level of play to a sports simulation replay. The managers style of play, lineup, coaching skills, managing players in clubhouse, etc. can have a significant impact on a teams success or not.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:34 AM   #9
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
At this point I've only a vague idea of how managers/personnel influence the game. Makes sense to have option of using them in name only as it adds more life/color to the game without actually influencing/impacting it.

So far though I really like having the personnel with ratings that impact the game. It adds a whole new level of play to a sports simulation replay. The managers style of play, lineup, coaching skills, managing players in clubhouse, etc. can have a significant impact on a teams success or not.
Might work for more of a what if type league but might do more harm than good for a strict historical league. Like i said the managers success is a reflection of what the team did anyway.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote