Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 07-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
bretth13
Bat Boy

About to purchase the game. Any tips?

I am hoping to purchase OOTP 15 over the All-Star break. I was wondering if there was any tips or anything you suggest I should read before I jump in. This game looks almost as intimidating as it does addicting and I would really love to read a beginners guide or something.
As far as specific questions I have, I can think of the following off the top of my head:
1. I have a mac, is it better to purchase from the apple ap store, steam, or through the OOTP website?
2. As far as mods go, is there a consensus as to which logo, face, ballpark, etc. mods are the most popular? And how easy are these to install and use?
3. How do online leagues work? I am confused as to how trades are made if the files are downloaded from the commish? What if 2 teams make a trade for the same player before sending the file back?

Thanks again for helping me out, excited to join this community.
bretth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

1. If you're steam user already or play a lot of games online, buy through steam. If you just plan on playing OOTP on 1 or 2 computers, direct from OOTP (or Steam) is a good option. Avoid Apple Store as any updates/patches take a lot longer to go through.

2. The All-in-One is a gr8 MOD to start with, if you plan on play real MLB. Browse the MOD Forum though, there are many talented Modders with many different Mods available to suit just about every type of player, real, fictional, historical.

3. Online leagues aren't complicated, and almost all will welcome newbies and walk you through the beginning stages. Trades are generally discussed between owners in private (PM, email, chat program, etc). Once agreed upon, they are posted on the league forum, and Commish processes them next sim. Feel free to ask questions on the Online League Forum, help is plentiful.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
gekkoguy82
Minors (Single A)

Do you also get a Steam key when you purchase directly from ootp?
gekkoguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

Cody put up some tutorial videos a few versions back that are still handy - some of the minor details may have changed but the basic how to play the game stuff is still plenty valid.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...w-players.html

In general, I found the best way to learn was to start a small league (8 or 16 teams) so you won't get overwhelmed. If you're good with your baseball history a good option to start is the "random debut" which means all the players in your league will be real baseball players from all periods of history.

Keep the manual handy!

Out of the Park Baseball Manual
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretth13 View Post
I am hoping to purchase OOTP 15 over the All-Star break. I was wondering if there was any tips or anything you suggest I should read before I jump in. This game looks almost as intimidating as it does addicting and I would really love to read a beginners guide or something.
As far as specific questions I have, I can think of the following off the top of my head:
1. I have a mac, is it better to purchase from the apple ap store, steam, or through the OOTP website?
2. As far as mods go, is there a consensus as to which logo, face, ballpark, etc. mods are the most popular? And how easy are these to install and use?
3. How do online leagues work? I am confused as to how trades are made if the files are downloaded from the commish? What if 2 teams make a trade for the same player before sending the file back?

Thanks again for helping me out, excited to join this community.
Anything but the Mac Store! I made that mistake. You cant get a copy for windows, like steam and the store, and patches take forever to come through.

I would say get it through the ootp website. They get more money that way which will make the game better. There's no real benefit for steam
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkoguy82 View Post
Do you also get a Steam key when you purchase directly from ootp?
only if you preordered
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote