Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #121
Danintenn
Bat Boy

Hey, I know football is king in the South but hockey is far from being nonexistent down here. Don't sell us short and make assumptions. We have leagues all the way from PeeWee to High Schools to Adults. We love hockey and the Preds here in TN.
Danintenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #122
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post

Maybe Alex Liddi plays in the MLB but baseball is I think 100 times less popular than hockey, which is already 1000 times less popular than basketball, which in turns is magnitudes away from soccer. With all the due respect, in Italy no one has a ****ing clue about how the hell is Alex Liddi. Only baseball fans or geeks know him.

EDIT: Here you have some attendance figures... Italian Baseball League - 2013 - Toshiba Mastiff Gros
Thanks Alessandro, always wondered about attendances in Italian Ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
That may be true, but the point is that Italy does have a fully professional baseball league with a somewhat reasonable standard of play. There may not be much attendance, but there's clearly at least some level of interest there.

In fact I'd say that the IBL is probably a better baseball league than the Elite A is a hockey league. So yeah, baseball may not exactly be widely popular in Italy but I guess hockey really isn't either for that matter.
Not that it changes much but, Hockey and Baseball seem to be primarily Northern Italy sports. Hockey especially with Bozan* joining the Austrian run EBEL. With Italy being promoted to the World Champs top level and them re branding their domestic league, things are looking good at least for them. Yeah it probably will never be soccer/basketball but still.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #123
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post

Maybe Alex Liddi plays in the MLB but baseball is I think 100 times less popular than hockey, which is already 1000 times less popular than basketball, which in turns is magnitudes away from soccer. With all the due respect, in Italy no one has a ****ing clue about how the hell is Alex Liddi. Only baseball fans or geeks know him.

EDIT: Here you have some attendance figures... Italian Baseball League - 2013 - Toshiba Mastiff Gros
Just to add a bit more to the discussion. You somehow picked the team with the lowest attendance figures in the league by far, a team which isn't even going to be in the league in 2014.

Some of these links give a much more accurate picture of attendance at IBL games.

Nettuno, Parma, Bologna, Rimini

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 12-22-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #124
lonestarhockey32
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baseball View Post
Hockey does not exist in well over half the globe.

That may be true, but hockey still exists in around 40% of the world. 75 countries have hockey leagues and/ or are part of the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF). Check out the spreadsheet I included.
Attached Files
File Type: xml world hockey.xml (18.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #125
lonestarhockey32
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danintenn View Post
Hey, I know football is king in the South but hockey is far from being nonexistent down here. Don't sell us short and make assumptions. We have leagues all the way from PeeWee to High Schools to Adults. We love hockey and the Preds here in TN.

Same could be said about hockey in Texas and the Dallas Stars. And definitely down here in Austin where we have the Texas Stars.
Heres a piece of info most people probably don't know. Texas has been home to the most professional ice hockey teams in the entire US.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #126
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Baseball exists almost everywhere in the world in some capacity. Hockey does not exist in well over half the globe.

Bottom line, there is a huge market for baseball. Both sports are interesting in my opinion, but saying only three countries care about baseball is completely idiotic.
The whole debate is pointless - to each itīs own...
I only posted my somewhat exaggerated 2 cents cause it seemed to me (might be wrong on that) that most of the "this game is unplayable, ...muahh, it costs more than $5, ...fix all at once with your little Tinkerbell in the office.." guys seem to be avid OOTP Baseball players.
Iīm by no way pleased how the current version runs but i also recognize the reality, that this is a 2!!! man coder-team that puts hard work into this game and that patience is needed to get a polished version of FHM.
As i mentioned before i gladly pay for the potential as this game is by NO MEANS unplayable and it will become way better based on how the baseball game looks like ( i checked it out, out of curiosity and it looks great)

And, Mr.Baseball (no personal offense here) - Bottom line is, if you really believe what you replied above then you have absolutely no clue about sports popularity outside the USA.
Hockey has a rich tradition and history in way more countries than Baseball and is huuuuge/very popular in a much bigger market than baseball.
(North America, beside the southwestern part ALL over europe, the whole former USSR)
so now do the math which total market has more potential.
Itīs cool for all the ppl who love baseball but just get the facts right....itīs huge in NA, Japan, Korea, a bunch of latin-american countries and thatīs it.
The argument that itīs popular worldwide is very moot as itīs, and thatīs the reality, irrelevant in most countries in the world.
Iīm from Austria and although skiing is popular all over the world iīm that realistic that pro-sportswise itīs totally irrelevant as only 4-5 nations really care for this (Austria,Switzerland,Italy,Norway, Sweden and to a certain extent Germany where really every sport gets itīs share of support.

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #127
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
extent Germany where really every sport gets itīs share of support.
Germans love everything, sportswise!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #128
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
I only posted my somewhat exaggerated 2 cents cause it seemed to me (might be wrong on that) that most of the "this game is unplayable, ...muahh, it costs more than $5, ...fix all at once with your little Tinkerbell in the office.." guys seem to be avid OOTP Baseball players.
Iīm by no way pleased how the current version runs but i also recognize the reality, that this is a 2!!! man coder-team that puts hard work into this game and that patience is needed to get a polished version of FHM.
As i mentioned before i gladly pay for the potential as this game is by NO MEANS unplayable and it will become way better based on how the baseball game looks like ( i checked it out, out of curiosity and it looks great)
I agree with you on being annoyed by the folks whining so much about the game. They clearly have short memories or perhaps didn't play games like EHM in it's early years. FHM, warts and all is significantly better than the first commercial version of EHM put out by SI. Heck it's even far, far better than OOTP was for its first half dozen+ versions and also probably better than the early Championship Managers too.

So I think the complainers have a somewhat unrealistic view of expecting a perfectly formed game to magically appear in its very first incarnation. That just doesn't happen with games in this genre.

So yeah, FHM has it's issues, some of which are quite frustrating. The game alternately bores me and makes me pull my hair out in frustration at times. Even so, it also has a lot of promise which will eventually be realized.

I don't agree on the folks doing the most complaining being avid OOTP players. Quite the contrary, the folks on this board who continually voice their displeasure all seemed to show up here only for FHM. I've never seen most of them on the OOTP part of the forums at all.

The OOTP players are going to be far, far more patient because they know what this company can do and have seen how far OOTP has come over the years.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 12-23-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #129
gekkoguy82
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danintenn View Post
Amen to that.

Why people go to a game forum based on a sport they have no interest in to bash it, or claim their sport is better, deserves more attention, or has more worldwide appeal is beyond me. Whether or not baseball has more fans or not is irrelevant. Whether or not it's a "better" sport, or a more popular one is an asinine argument. This is a forum about a HOCKEY game. If you don't like hockey, why do you post that sentiment here? If you don't think hockey fans deserve a hockey simulation, don't come to a hockey game's forum and tell that to hockey fans. That's like drunken fan falling into a penalty box with an angry Tie Domi...Not that you'd know who that was...
gekkoguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #130
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

The greatest reason OOTP is so popular is because it allows players to customize virtually every aspect of the game. That is missing from FHM from all I've heard and until they actually install FaceGen and allow for custom leagues the system is of no interest to me.

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Mr. Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #131
lonestarhockey32
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
The greatest reason OOTP is so popular is because it allows players to customize virtually every aspect of the game. That is missing from FHM from all I've heard and until they actually install FaceGen and allow for custom leagues the system is of no interest to me.

How many years did it take OOTP to get face gen implemented?

You shouldn't expect FHM to be an exact copy of OOTP but for hockey instead. You could if FHM first came out at the same time OOTP did.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #132
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Didn't say I expected it to be on OOTP's level. I said I'm not buying it until it is.

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Mr. Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:49 AM   #133
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just to add a bit more to the discussion. You somehow picked the team with the lowest attendance figures in the league by far, a team which isn't even going to be in the league in 2014.

Some of these links give a much more accurate picture of attendance at IBL games.

Nettuno, Parma, Bologna, Rimini
I picked the first team I found data for. The teams you linked don't have so much spectators more, actually...
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #134
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That may be true, but the point is that Italy does have a fully professional baseball league with a somewhat reasonable standard of play. There may not be much attendance, but there's clearly at least some level of interest there.

In fact I'd say that the IBL is probably a better baseball league than the Elite A is a hockey league. So yeah, baseball may not exactly be widely popular in Italy but I guess hockey really isn't either for that matter.
I repeat, as I said some posts above, baseball is I think 100 times less popular than hockey, which is already 1000 times less popular than basketball, which in turns is magnitudes away from soccer
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:15 AM   #135
kohut
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarhockey32 View Post
How many years did it take OOTP to get face gen implemented?

You shouldn't expect FHM to be an exact copy of OOTP but for hockey instead. You could if FHM first came out at the same time OOTP did.
Why couldn't FHM be very similar to OOTP? So many of OOTP's features are great and would be awesome to have FHM.

The feature I want to see is the ability to shop around a player and have the computer of each time make an offer and I choose the one that best suits what I want. Also the option of what I want in return be it veteran? a specific position? prospects? draft choices would be neat too.
kohut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:49 AM   #136
Penfold75
Major Leagues

I guess there is no chance of a developer update or the game being fixed before Santa comes

So I will take this chance to wish all the users of FHM a Merry Christmas and a happy new year when it comes.

Matt
Penfold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #137
StrikeFour
Major Leagues

Same here, all. Have a safe holiday.

Can't find the help you need? Try here:
OOTP Developments - Kayako eSupport Help Desk Software
StrikeFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #138
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Careful.. I've been told rather bluntly that expecting one game to be like another is unrealistic and pig headed.. (not in so many words) code does not transfer over, and features are not interoperable so therefore, a game must be completely built from scratch.

Watch for FHM15 to be released on DOS 5.0 next Fall!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohut View Post
Why couldn't FHM be very similar to OOTP? So many of OOTP's features are great and would be awesome to have FHM.

The feature I want to see is the ability to shop around a player and have the computer of each time make an offer and I choose the one that best suits what I want. Also the option of what I want in return be it veteran? a specific position? prospects? draft choices would be neat too.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #139
echolodge
Minors (Single A)

Christmas Magic

[QUOTE=Penfold75;3618557]I guess there is no chance of a developer update or the game being fixed before Santa comes

So I will take this chance to wish all the users of FHM a Merry Christmas and a happy new year when it comes.

Matt [/QUOTE

Yes. A Merry Christmas to all. I am really looking forward to a patch with improvements that could make this game really fun. It is almost like Ralphie in the film Christmas Story being told he can't have a bee bee gun i.e. the new FHM patch because he will "shoot his eye out." But perhaps Santa will show up with something for us or we'll find it elsewhere as we reflect on the meaning of the holiday.
echolodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #140
Duranium
All Star Starter

Funky X-Mas and a groovy new Year to all of you !

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote