Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:50 AM   #141
Zorian77
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
Ah, that sucks. Are you starting him every day? What are your other outfield options?

Other options are Andrew McCutchen special edition, Ichiro 2001, and maybe Roberto Clemente 1962. I'm probably going to switch back to McCutchen. The difference between MaGee and McCutchen is approximately 50 putouts according to the zone rating over the course of a season. Plus, Ichiro can slot in for Fred Clarke in the final inning of close games and when Clarke is tired, which is probably worth another 10 runs or so on defense. My team is constructed on a razor's edge- I usually only have a run differential of +100-150, so defense helps a lot. I ended up winning 91 games this year, but I don't think MaGee lost me the season because I ended up 6 games short. I was hoping Magee's offense would be closer to something like King Kelly's, but somehow he only had 15 doubles?

Maybe I shouldn't have put Olerud in front of him...I suppose I could bring back special edition Rickey Henderson and have Henderson, Kelly, and Magee as top 3 with Rickey playing right field, Kelly at catcher, and Magee as DH. That would be interesting. Not sure I want to endure Kelly at catcher when I have 1999 Pudge though.

Might as well try it and see what happens.

Last edited by Zorian77; 02-28-2021 at 01:55 AM.
Zorian77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #142
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorian77 View Post
Other options are Andrew McCutchen special edition, Ichiro 2001, and maybe Roberto Clemente 1962. I'm probably going to switch back to McCutchen. The difference between MaGee and McCutchen is approximately 50 putouts according to the zone rating over the course of a season. Plus, Ichiro can slot in for Fred Clarke in the final inning of close games and when Clarke is tired, which is probably worth another 10 runs or so on defense. My team is constructed on a razor's edge- I usually only have a run differential of +100-150, so defense helps a lot. I ended up winning 91 games this year, but I don't think MaGee lost me the season because I ended up 6 games short. I was hoping Magee's offense would be closer to something like King Kelly's, but somehow he only had 15 doubles?

Maybe I shouldn't have put Olerud in front of him...I suppose I could bring back special edition Rickey Henderson and have Henderson, Kelly, and Magee as top 3 with Rickey playing right field, Kelly at catcher, and Magee as DH. That would be interesting. Not sure I want to endure Kelly at catcher when I have 1999 Pudge though.

Might as well try it and see what happens.
Yeah, in a primarily defense-based team, SE McCutcheon is probably the way to go. His offense vs LHP should be similar to Magee but not so much offense against RHP. Who's your current DH? For the record, when I played Magee I either played him at LF or DH.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:02 PM   #143
Zorian77
Minors (Single A)

I've been DHing King Kelly. Apparently that was a mistake, because the difference between a poor catcher and a good one is surprisingly small unless the other team tries to steal constantly.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:14 PM   #144
Zorian77
Minors (Single A)

I finished off the peak Rich Gossage mission by massively overpaying for Bregman's live card. The two diamond packs I got for finishing that mission tree off dropped peak Tris Speaker. The last time I pulled a usable perfect league peak legend card was 2068, so it has been exactly a year. This fixes a lot of problems I've been having with my team. I finally get to eject Kazuhiro Sasaki into the sun (I wish his card were better, because his home runs allowed stat is basically in line with the best of the year, but it's a massive problem in the card. I like him as a player too).

I can DH Fred Clarke and have Tris Speaker play left field, so that gets rid of a defensive liability. I have Sherry Magee as the current corner outfield substitute- unsure if he's even worth retaining at this point, because it seems like he massively underperforms his card rating for reasons not entirely clear to me. He has more gap power than King Kelly and above average speed, but he hits 20 fewer doubles or so over the course of a season. I guess the loss of 8 contact and 17 speed is a much bigger deal than it would appear at first glance.

Interestingly, King Kelly's number of stolen bases dropped much more than expected when he plays catcher. He's going to end up with approximately 30 fewer steals, and only about half of those can be accounted for by less playing time. Opposing catchers in the league are fairly good defensively, so that might be part of it. Except his caught stealing rate is at an all time low for the level of steal aggression I have set. 41 steals, 4 caught stealing.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:14 PM   #145
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I finished off the peak Rich Gossage mission by massively overpaying for Bregman's live card. The two diamond packs I got for finishing that mission tree off dropped peak Tris Speaker. The last time I pulled a usable perfect league peak legend card was 2068, so it has been exactly a year. This fixes a lot of problems I've been having with my team. I finally get to eject Kazuhiro Sasaki into the sun (I wish his card were better, because his home runs allowed stat is basically in line with the best of the year, but it's a massive problem in the card. I like him as a player too).
Nice!

Quote:
I can DH Fred Clarke and have Tris Speaker play left field, so that gets rid of a defensive liability. I have Sherry Magee as the current corner outfield substitute- unsure if he's even worth retaining at this point, because it seems like he massively underperforms his card rating for reasons not entirely clear to me. He has more gap power than King Kelly and above average speed, but he hits 20 fewer doubles or so over the course of a season. I guess the loss of 8 contact and 17 speed is a much bigger deal than it would appear at first glance.
I'd probably go Ichiro, or even SE Henderson. Late-innings defense, pinch-running options.

Quote:
Interestingly, King Kelly's number of stolen bases dropped much more than expected when he plays catcher. He's going to end up with approximately 30 fewer steals, and only about half of those can be accounted for by less playing time. Opposing catchers in the league are fairly good defensively, so that might be part of it. Except his caught stealing rate is at an all time low for the level of steal aggression I have set. 41 steals, 4 caught stealing.
Interesting.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
Old 03-08-2021, 12:35 AM   #146
Zorian77
Minors (Single A)

I ended up losing to the eventual perfect league champion 4-3 in the league championship series. Gossage got two losses after going 12-12 for saves with 0 ER in 12.2 IP in the regular season. I came back from down 0-2 to up 3-2, then lost in game 7 by 1 run. I'm getting so close.

That was probably the best shot of winning I will have before the end of sims. I went 109-53 in the regular season.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:40 AM   #147
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I ended up losing to the eventual perfect league champion 4-3 in the league championship series. Gossage got two losses after going 12-12 for saves with 0 ER in 12.2 IP in the regular season. I came back from down 0-2 to up 3-2, then lost in game 7 by 1 run. I'm getting so close.

That was probably the best shot of winning I will have before the end of sims. I went 109-53 in the regular season.
So close!

I reckon you'll get one yet. We've still got 7-8 sims left, right?

I got knocked out in the Division Series by the eventual champs (who I beat for the Division title but got beat up by when it counted ).

EDIT: In PT19 i didn't win a perfect title until the final week of sims...

Old 03-11-2021, 01:03 PM   #148
Zorian77
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
So close!

I reckon you'll get one yet. We've still got 7-8 sims left, right?

I got knocked out in the Division Series by the eventual champs (who I beat for the Division title but got beat up by when it counted ).

EDIT: In PT19 i didn't win a perfect title until the final week of sims...
The problem is, a wildcard playoff spot is worth substantially less than a division win. We have 7 weeks left, but I am guessing it will shake out like so:

1 season of not making the playoffs
3-4 wildcard seasons
2-3 division titles

I only win about 30-40% of my wildcard games, so that's perhaps 3-4 playoff runs that make it to the divisional series. The other problem is I had a definite path of improving via missions before. Right now, I'm a bit stuck because all of my methods of improving are likely too expensive to finish before the sims stop. Unless I get super lucky on card draws, but given I got a Dwight Gooden card and peak Tris Speaker recently, I'm not expecting any more good drops.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #149
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Swept by the wildcard for the second week in a row. Urgh, I hate being top seed lol

Old 03-14-2021, 02:40 PM   #150
daves
Hall Of Famer

After 103 seasons my Doubledays actually missed the playoffs after a 101 win season. There were a total of 178 Prefect titles in my Conference and 95 in my division alone The competition was just to great. The only other times this team missed the playoffs was the 1st Perfect season and the one season that I tried the Desert Ace Invitational League.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:37 PM   #151
Zorian77
Minors (Single A)

That's some fierce competition.

I made it to the divisional round again last year, lost 3-2 again. Although I wasn't expecting to make it out of the wild card, because the team I had to face trashed me in the regular season, so I outperformed as far as I am concerned.

I got 2004 Joe Nathan to drop. I didn't use him at first because statistically his card is kind of meh. But I convinced myself to give him a shot because of his velocity. Turns out he's better than special edition Mike Schooler, which is a bit surprising given the ratings on the cards. I guess the velocity difference, slightly better pitches, and slightly better stuff outweighs slightly more movement and control. So my closers/setup team is Rich Gossage and Trevor Hoffman (both peaks) with 2004 Joe Nathan now. Not bad. I just need one or two more starters to round out my 5th starter/long relief options. Jon Matlack and Ewell Blackwell aren't cutting it anymore.

I started the year out 33-9, and my team is crushing this year so far. Except King Kelly is on pace for his worst season in 70 years of playing for my team. Not sure what's going on there. :P

Last edited by Zorian77; 03-16-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:57 AM   #152
Zorian77
Minors (Single A)

My team has been doing okay in the final weeks. Averaged 106 wins the last 3 seasons, made decently deep playoff runs. I lucked out and got the 1988 Dwight Gooden card to drop in a card pack, which let me finish off The Bad Boys Won mission after buying the last card I needed, and get peak David Cone. I had pretty much given up on the last two Mets missions because people love buying those cards and reselling them at inflated prices.

He's replacing my 1985 Dwight Gooden. So my rotation is now:

Rube Waddell (special edition peak)
Stan Coveleski (peak)
Vida Blue (special edition)
David Cone (special edition peak)
Jon Matlack (special edition peak)

In the playoffs this should be quite good, because the leftie/rightie split will be even and I can slot Matlack into my bullpen, which is light on leftie pitching.

Probably won't finish off my live NL card collection now unless I get a really lucky drop or two, but upgrading the starting rotation seemed like the obvious move to make. Not sure if Pee Wee Reese would help me much (although Carew is a definite weak point on defense).

Last edited by Zorian77; 04-09-2021 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:22 PM   #153
The_Savage_1
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
My team has been doing okay in the final weeks. Averaged 106 wins the last 3 seasons, made decently deep playoff runs. I lucked out and got the 1988 Dwight Gooden card to drop in a card pack, which let me finish off The Bad Boys Won mission after buying the last card I needed, and get peak David Cone. I had pretty much given up on the last two Mets missions because people love buying those cards and reselling them at inflated prices.

He's replacing my 1985 Dwight Gooden. So my rotation is now:

Rube Waddell (special edition peak)
Stan Coveleski (peak)
Vida Blue (special edition)
David Cone (special edition peak)
Jon Matlack (special edition peak)

In the playoffs this should be quite good, because the leftie/rightie split will be even and I can slot Matlack into my bullpen, which is light on leftie pitching.

Probably won't finish off my live NL card collection now unless I get a really lucky drop or two, but upgrading the starting rotation seemed like the obvious move to make. Not sure if Pee Wee Reese would help me much (although Carew is a definite weak point on defense).
What live cards do you need?

Second team (FTP):

Daughter's team (FTP):
The_Savage_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:51 PM   #154
Zorian77
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Savage_1 View Post
What live cards do you need?
Bellinger and Arenado.

I'm a bit split on whether I'm even going to bother finishing it. I have an outside shot at finishing the Mets collection which would be ideal, and if I can't do that then I can upgrade through the auction house.

I ended up getting Gil McDougald from the auction house, because Carew's defense was murdering me lately. Slotted Gil at shortstop, and Jose Reyes to 2nd. Seems to be working better so far.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #155
The_Savage_1
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Bellinger and Arenado.

I'm a bit split on whether I'm even going to bother finishing it. I have an outside shot at finishing the Mets collection which would be ideal, and if I can't do that then I can upgrade through the auction house.

I ended up getting Gil McDougald from the auction house, because Carew's defense was murdering me lately. Slotted Gil at shortstop, and Jose Reyes to 2nd. Seems to be working better so far.
I don't have either of those spare but will let you know if I do. I have a lot of SEs I'm not using if you're interested in any. I've finished every mission except Tigers, the Babe Ruth one and Team of the Decade.

Second team (FTP):

Daughter's team (FTP):
The_Savage_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #156
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also beginning to wonder the same about 70 Willie Davis. Just need him to complete the Dodgers' mission set. 90 Ron Cey has been on the AH a few times but I keep saying, 'Surely Davis will turn up soon!' D'oh!
Someone must've read this because lo and behold there he was on the AH and there he is now in my collection. Thanks to whoever put him up (and so cheap, too!)

EDIT: Did I just edit this post instead of quoting it? Wow, never done that before

Last edited by Izz; 04-16-2021 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:55 PM   #157
Izz
Hall Of Famer

So I just edited my post above instead of quoting it, like a complete doofus. Again, thanks to whoever put the Willie Davis card on the AH!

@Zorian77, in case you didn't see my earlier post before the edits, I don't know what McDougal's defense is, but I've found SE Pee Wee to be useful. Generally a replacement level hitter (career slash-line for me across 2087-2126 is .258/.341/.396 with 50ish XBH in 150+ games played) but an excellent defender. Range is king, after all. He also trains up to 114 at 2B.

I've finished the SE Ozzie mission set so he'll be my everyday SS next season, with Pee Wee starting at 2B against LHP and backing up 2B, SS, 3B against RHP while coming on as late innings defense at 2B.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:32 AM   #158
Zorian77
Minors (Single A)

Well, Gil McDougald managed to save my season. The team was below .500 past the midway point, but the division was more or less at parity. Having a weak September schedule helped me cruise to the playoffs for the 7th straight time with a 89-73 record. He's got 80 range/80 error/75 arm/84 dp. Shortstop isn't his best position though- only 77 rating there, vs 81 at 3rd and 93 at 2nd. In 96 games he went .240/.327/.374, 40 runs, 10 HR, 35 RBI. So better OBP than Carew for that season, but worse average. Probably 50 points lower average and 20 points lower OBP in an average season, but considering the defensive difference at two positions, that seems acceptable. Jose Reyes has trained up to 68 at 2nd, might get a few more points yet.

I thought I might be well positioned for a spoiler run, because I had done well against the best team in the league, and did well in interleague play against top teams- then I got swept 3-0 in the divisional round.

Managed to snag the David Wright card I needed for 17k or so... almost got it for 4.5k, but someone bid it up with like 20 minutes remaining. So one card away from my target. So if I get really lucky, I might finish the Mets mission and perhaps the NL live cards too.

I started this season 20-2 (make that 20-3, lost a game 2-1 as I was typing this up -_-). Weak division a bit maybe, but considering how last season went, a pretty good start. I did rearrange my lineup quite a bit, so good to see it seems to be doing okay.

A .341 OBP on my team would be about average, and at a defensive position would be great.

Last edited by Zorian77; 04-20-2021 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #159
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Final week!

Enjoy guys, and was fun playing with y'all!

Old 04-27-2021, 04:39 PM   #160
sharknut
All Star Reserve

My poor Broncos.

They have made the Perfect Playoffs 48 times and never won.

I've averaged 110-52 the last 17 years, nothing. And this year, I am just 22-17. I just pulled a Perfect Bench that I sold for 100,000 and bought perfect Mathewson.

But, it's never going to happen

Last edited by sharknut; 04-27-2021 at 04:41 PM.
sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote