Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 01-01-2020, 10:18 PM   #21
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

That's more than a rebound, old timer. A complete turn-around plus.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:29 PM   #22
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyzan View Post
Wow, yeh that's a terrible start Old Timer, that can't last though. You'll have that division wrapped up by the AS break.
Pappyzan is wise.

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:44 PM   #23
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus978 View Post
Is this finally going to be the year for the Saints to rule their league and win that first PL title?
I think it is. I'm going on record saying this week is the week. I think your Saints finally have the top end starting pitching required to pull it off. The lineup has already been title-worthy for at least a few weeks now in my completely irrelevant opinion. This coupled with a clear path to winning the division...the ingredients are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
The Raccoons have rebounded from that horrid start (10-16, last place). Since then we've gone 41-7 (.854). We've moved from 11th in R to 3rd and only Clarkson is still having problems in the rotation.

The main competition in the playoffs in the AC will come from the Athletics, Sanford and the LG Twins. The Oakland Athletics are a moderately successful Athletics theme team (it seems that the only players on the roster did play for the Athletics). So it has perfect Waddell, Fingers and Grove plus Blue, Lajoie, Collins, etc. In other words, they seem to have all the best A's cards. Being an A's fan, I really like seeing a team like this.

Then there's the Sanford Suns. We've been in a league with them twice before and it seems they've improved quite a bit since then (they were already pretty good). The Suns are the current leader in RDiff which is very surprising in a league with the Bronx Bombers in it.

The LG Twins appear to be a little brother to the (formerly known as) Stone Island super-team. They employ that lefty strat where you use the LHP SP for about 3 innings. I forget what some of you were calling that? Plus their lineup is all L or S hitters. Their park factors favor lefties, but not to the max. They've also reduced most to favor pitching. This team wins about 110 games per year with mostly middling cards (e.g., Matlack, Marichal, 98 Hubbell, etc.).

I'll save a description of the NC teams for another day. Currently, there are no real surprises in this league, except for our poor start and the Bronx Bombers poor (for them, I'm sure) RDiff. They're only on pace for +446 which isn't even great for the Raccoons (though we're only on pace for +324 which is quite poor for us too, especially considering the competition we've faced).
Unless the Fighting Pappyzans can hold off the Bombers, I think your Raccoons are headed for an epic PL series date with those Bronx Bombers. No offense to the LG Twins or the team that CrazyWR and his dad are managing, but it'll be tough for anyone else to elbow in on the party.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #24
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

P410: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10...11-12

The Huntley Red Raiders P410 All-Stars: Cheaper by the Dozen!

SP Roger Clemens (11-2, 2.41 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, 182 ERA+, 2.6 WAR)
SP Rube Marquard (13-3, 1.84 ERA, 0.95 WHIP, 238 ERA+, 4.3 WAR)
SP Curt Schilling (10-2, 2.40 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 183 ERA+, 3.8 WAR)
SP Rube Waddell (18-1, 2.19 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 200 ERA+, 5.1 WAR)
SP Ed Walsh (9-3, 2.51 ERA, 0.98 WHIP, 175 ERA+, 4.8 WAR)
RP Harry Brecheen (1-1, 4 SV, 2.08 ERA, 29 G, 52.0 IP, 0.87 WHIP, 211 ERA+, 1.2 WAR)

C Yogi Berra (.311/.389/.531, 148 OPS+, 2.7 WAR)
3B George Brett* (.305/.371/.523, 140 OPS+, 2.8 WAR)
SS Ozzie Smith (.295/.392/.435, 126 OPS+, +10.4 ZR, 4.5 WAR)
DH Barry Bonds (.290/.408/.573, 26 HR, 164 OPS+, 3.9 WAR)
LF Mickey Mantle (.272/.387/.465, 131 OPS+, 2.8 WAR)
CF Ken Griffey Jr (.287/.369/.533, 142 OPS+, 3.2 WAR)

*Leading NC vote-getter

But just in case this is too much humblebragging, baseball, as always, is not shy about delivering the cold, squishy humble pie: the AC beat the NC 5-4 in the All-Star Game, which, considering Huntley was 36% of the NC squad, is a very poor omen.

In any case, the real story of P410 continues to be the AC Central Pacific Sixers, who look primed and poised to end their championship drought and take home the title. Behind the arms of SPs Lefty Grove (13-2, 3.01 ERA, 11.1 K/9, 149 ERA+, 4.8 WAR) and Christy Mathewson (11-5, 3.66 ERA, 123 ERA+, 4.0 WAR), and powered by RF Live Mike Trout (.245/.381/.507, 26 HR, 134 OPS+, 3.6 WAR) and 1B Jimmie Foxx (.296/.376/.578, 149 OPS+, 3.4 WAR), the Sixers' slim advantage over the Atlantis Giant Squid in the race for the AC #1 seed masks their large lead in run differential (+260; the Giant Squid are second in the AC at +156).

And yes, Huntley's run differential is +373, but I fear this is shaping up to be one of those "dominate regular season, bow out quickly in the playoffs" seasons. In any case, standings follow!
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2020, 09:23 PM   #25
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

The Frogs have been playing some decent baseball lately (80-18, +277), with a pair of back-to-back 3-2 road losses as the only thing preventing a 40-game winning streak in May-June. As it was, winning streaks of 16- and 22-games were plenty nice from a PP standpoint. I'm pretty sure the 22 gamer is a new franchise high water mark.

We've had trouble placing more than 7 or 8 All-Stars in any season (unlike Huntley), but it's always nice to get both catchers (Posey and Posada) into the midsummer classic. The 100 SE Buster Posey card absolutely lays waste to LHPs. Really liking it.

100 SE Rube Waddell is getting his first burn this week after getting himself collected last week. Waddell started the season 18-0 before just now getting that win streak snapped. Waddell is now 18-1 with a 3.16 ERA after giving up 8 ER in 3.2 IP against Greeley Oil and Gas his last outing.

Speaking of collecting...finished the 100 Norm Cash collection but I'm holding off on playing him until next week. It just wouldn't be right to 100 Gehrig and 96 Keith Hernandez who are doing well and fit my current high contact/gap, low power strategy a bit better.

The team is currently batting .301 thru 98 games so there is a chance we might bat .300 for a whole season for the first time. That would be nifty. Speaking of records, the club is also angling for its first 130-win season. A bucket list item in PT 2.0.

I'm not sure if there is potential for getting the Old Timer 5 back together next week, but I would be interested. I see that they weren't placed in OL this time, so that assuages my guilt a little bit.
Attached Images

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:22 AM   #26
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter24 View Post
The FTP Pack-Only Lowell Muck Rakers' 28 year run of playing .460 ball in Perfect Leagues may be coming to an unceremonious end in P442. We've had the misfortune of being placed in a division with three whales. Will need some magic to come out of those packs this week, methinks.
After reaching the 1/3 mark near .500, the reality of the predicament has set in after waking up this morning and finding my team in the midst of a 10-game losing streak. Only 2 games above the relegation mark. After this many seasons in PL, my pride doesn't want to see my team demoted. But I'm wondering if it's for the best if it were to happen.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:07 AM   #27
daves
Hall Of Famer

P404: There are only 3 teams with a total of 6 PT titles, Auburn Doubledays, Julestown Squirrels and Belfast Dodgers. Julestown is in the AC and highly favored. Auburn and Belfast are in the NC West so one will be a wildcard. These 3 are heavy favorites to win it all; however, anything can happen in the playoffs.

P467: There are 24 PT titles between 6 teams. B Team in the AC West has 13 of them and is highly favored but Ocean City (with 4 PT titles) is in the same division will be hard to beat. In the NC the Interstate Defenders are favored to make it to the World Series. Woodpeckers are battling for a wildcard and a chance.

P407: There are 27 PT titles between just 4 teams in this league. In the AC only the Silicon Valley Outlaws have prior PT titles in the conference and is favored. In the NC there is the loaded Exeter Blue Hawks with 16 prior PT titles. This team is highly favored to win it all. The Exeter reserve roster can easily win it all. This team is loaded! But they can’t dismiss the Pawtucket Poets and the Toledo Mud Hens when it comes playoff time in the NC. Those are two respectable teams. Owlz drew a weak division and should make the playoffs.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #28
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I see my team! good luck in the 407 playoffs, that conference is definitely open then have to hope for some luck in the finals
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:39 PM   #29
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
I see my team! good luck in the 407 playoffs, that conference is definitely open then have to hope for some luck in the finals
Though your Mustangs have not won a Perfect title yet, they are loaded with talent and could most likely represent the AC in the World Series. You are currently #3 in the power ratings. But those Hawks and Poets are hard to beat in the NC. Need NC playoff upsets to win this one!

Last edited by daves; 01-03-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:59 PM   #30
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I spent forever building up points on the market while dicking around with different theme teams and training players for tournaments that never happened but pretty close to a "final" team right now. Taking some time to figure out what type of strategy and bullpen I want now that I'm paying attention to it. And I still can't get the defensive subs to work right.

Also have a perfect Walter Johnson that I just bought sitting in reserves. Really tempting to break my "no late-season additions" rule for him lol.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #31
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I
Also have a perfect Walter Johnson that I just bought sitting in reserves. Really tempting to break my "no late-season additions" rule for him lol.
You should!

X3NEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #32
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3NEIZE View Post
You should!

Agreed. Walter Johnson is a top 3 starter in PT. He could be the difference for the WS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #33
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
I spent forever building up points on the market while dicking around with different theme teams and training players for tournaments that never happened but pretty close to a "final" team right now. Taking some time to figure out what type of strategy and bullpen I want now that I'm paying attention to it. And I still can't get the defensive subs to work right.

Random Simpsons political quote just popped into my head...."You'd have to be an idot not to vote for Montgomery Burns". set to music for a commercial of course.....I feel the same way about 100 Big Train.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #34
HelpDodgers
Major Leagues

First the good news...

Belfast is 20 games up and clinched a playoff spot.

Now the bad news...

That was for the wild card, and Auburn is in my division.

So, I have them right where I want them.

/hides
Attached Images
HelpDodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:44 PM   #35
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDodgers View Post
First the good news...

Belfast is 20 games up and clinched a playoff spot.

Now the bad news...

That was for the wild card, and Auburn is in my division.

So, I have them right where I want them.

/hides

See you on the playoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-05-2020, 02:32 AM   #36
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

It was a fun Saturday / September.

The Xenos, staying put in a league that featured only 2 PL title holders (the Barlin Crab Shuckers with 4 and the Grand Rapids Rippers with 7), scuffled along for most of the season. On Wednesday, we raised the funds to sign 93 Schoendienst, who came along with SE 99 Harry Brecheen and we turned our season around. Everybody lit up: 87 Kirby Puckett (yes, I'm running him out in RF) had a torrid September to lead the league with 216 hits. He batted .336, second only to teammate Smoky Burgess's .342. Yes, a catcher can win a batting title in Perfect. But the story was Brecheen. Brecheen was scintillating in 20 starts: 11-4, 2.58 ERA, 102 Ks, 0.4 HR/9, 1.21 WHIP. On the last game of the season, Brecheen shut out the 93-69 Gross Mimmelage, completing a 3-game sweep to win the division. Truly, the Xenos had controlled their destiny. And so what if their destiny was to win only 82 games this season. It was enough to win their division and avoid the Wild Card game!

The Wind-Up Birds also controlled their destiny. But they spent most of September destiny-ing their way out the post-season. Despite going 1-9 in our last ten, we were guaranteed a spot if we won the 162nd game. The matchup featured two Rookie Sensations, our fifth starter SE 94 Ken Forsch versus their 4th starter 94 Hideo Nomo. Forsch gave way to 94 Fingers (who blew the save), to Live Snell (who struck out 2 batters in 6 pitches - that guy can really play in Perfect), to 98 DiPino (who committed a throwing error and was subsequently pulled), and finally to fan favorite 93 Nate Pearson (?!?) who strikes out 89 Wade Boggs with runners on 2nd and 3rd. In our half of the 9th, Buck Leonard hit a single to bring home Ken Griffey Jr. Mayhem in the stadium.

The Orogenes, the only non-FTP squad I run, were led by the recently acquired TOTY Mike Trout. There was another Trout (Live Trout) in the league so it was real easy to compare the cards. Live Trout went .232 with 41 HR and a 5.2 WAR while TOTY Trout went .284 with 33 HR and a 9.0 WAR.

All 3 of our teams made it. Going to be a busy Sunday.

Renfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:52 AM   #37
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

P410: The Stage Is Set

Pluses: Huntley led the league in wins (132), runs scored (1,048), runs against (425), and (obviously) run differential (+623). Rube Waddell won the pitching triple crown (27-3, 2.26 ERA, 249 Ks). Waddell and Ed Walsh finished first and third in the NC in WAR (8.6 and 7.2, respectively). Barry Bonds led the NC in home runs (43) and the entire league in RBIs (153), finishing second in the NC in WAR despite being a full-time DH (5.9). Ozzie Smith lead the entire league in WAR (6.7) thanks to a .301/.383/.420 batting line and especially a 4.37 RF, +14.8 ZR, and 1.073 EFF. Mickey Mantle rode a ridiculously hot September (.368/.436/.609) to a third-place finish in the NC in WAR (5.6).

Minuses: The other 3 times Huntley won 130+ games in a season, the Red Raiders failed to take home the championship. Huntley had its first 3-game losing streak of the season in September, with the last of those losses against a possible Division Series foe, the Detroit Tigers, who won 6 of the 19 regular-season matchups with Huntley. Prior to his last 3 starts, Rube Waddell was 27-1 with a 1.91 ERA; he then went 0-2 in his last 3 starts, giving up 12 runs in 14.1 innings. The "best" of those starts was a mediocre 5-IP, 3-ER performance against Huntley's other possible Division Series foe, Oquendos Friendos. Mariano Rivera's August ERA was 5.62, which only looks good compared to his September ERA of 7.50; he ended the season with an ERA nearly a run higher than his FIP (2.77 vs 1.94).

In other words, despite an amazing regular season, the Playoff Failure warning lights are flashing incredibly bright in Huntley tonight.

The Pacific Sixers claimed the #1 seed in the AC over the Atlantis Giant Squid, 118 wins to 114 wins; the teams' run differentials paint a much clearer picture of Pacific's dominance (+403 to +313).

Final standings follow...
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2020, 04:33 AM   #38
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Unfortunately, I didn't get to pay much attention to my team the past couple of days. Considering the competition, the Raccoons had a sub-par season.

A possible WS preview happened in September. We got to play the Bronx Bombers in a 3 game series. In the 1st game, Cy Young shutdown the Raccoons and we lost 3-0. In game 2, Walter Johnson was tagged for 12 H, but he only allowed 3 R and we lost 4-3. In the 3rd game, we won 5-3 on a Keeler double in the 8th. So a good close series. I'd love to meet again in the WS, though there's some other really great teams that could upset the Bombers, like the Senators or Tassie.

The LG Twins got the home field advantage by 1 game which could make a difference if we meet them in the playoffs due to their park factors fitting their team so well. We only went 2-4 vs them this season, but all games were close low scoring affairs.

You know, I really believe you can help your team if you wait a while and see how each player is doing (not sure how long, but maybe 2 months into the season or a little before) and then make adjustments based on just how far above/below each player is playing compared to what's normal for them (taking into account league type/quality).

So when I saw how bad Clarkson was doing after 13 starts, I moved him to the pen and he never did do well, even with a stuff boost (I made him an MR instead of a stopper since I figured this was his season to be bad and sure enough, it was). In his place, I moved Seaver from the pen and he became our most effective starter (it was his 1st time starting in 6 years).

Should be some really good matchups in our league tomorrow. Good luck to everyone in the playoffs tomorrow!
Attached Images
Old 01-05-2020, 04:36 AM   #39
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
I'm not sure if there is potential for getting the Old Timer 5 back together next week, but I would be interested. I see that they weren't placed in OL this time, so that assuages my guilt a little bit.

I'd definitely be interested, even if we can't get everyone back again. After all, we've never gotten to play even a single game against the famous Fighting Frogs. That must be rectified!
Old 01-05-2020, 04:56 AM   #40
dancariaz
Minors (Triple A)

My team had by far it's best regular season ever, going 111-51 with a +244 run differential

Now let's see if we can do something in the playoffs, I think we haven't won a single series at Perfect yet.

F2P Team
dancariaz is offline   Reply With Quote