Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Dead owner

I just started a new game with the latest (19.5.49) patch. This happened on the third day.

Name:  dead owner.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  48.7 KB

How about having no owner death or team sale for at least the first year of a new league?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I just started a new game with the latest (19.5.49) patch. This happened on the third day.

Attachment 552345

How about having no owner death or team sale for at least the first year of a new league?
It is so weird how death is handled in OOTP.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

how old was the guy?

i mean if he's 80+, it's not so shocking. at 52 it is another story.

once you make it beyond ~40, your life expectancy jumps quite a bit compared to average. causes of early deaths skew the numbers becuase a lot of them are attributable to dumb behaviour that you are less likely to engage in after X number of years (if not specifically 40, it's a real effect and you can draw a line somewhere based on data).

so as long as they are living to 80-90ish most of the time, it's ~normal.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-25-2018 at 12:11 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #4
Qeltar
Major Leagues

Ted Lerner is 92.

He does have several kids, but I'm pretty sure there is no "Ted Lerner Jr." IRL.

I'm halfway through my first season and I think there have been two deaths already. It should be at most once a year. Even though they are fairly old, it's not that many people.
Qeltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
how old was the guy?

i mean if he's 80+, it's not so shocking. at 52 it is another story.

once you make it beyond ~40, your life expectancy jumps quite a bit compared to average. causes of early deaths skew the numbers becuase a lot of them are attributable to dumb behaviour that you are less likely to engage in after X number of years (if not specifically 40, it's a real effect and you can draw a line somewhere based on data).

so as long as they are living to 80-90ish most of the time, it's ~normal.
I don't care how normal or expected it is. What I care about is the game and how much fun it is. I would be frustrated if I were playing the Nationals (I wasn't) and my owner died in the first year (much less first week) and was replaced by an owner that was "unmerciful" in temperament.

Think about this happening in a league where you are managing each game and you have played for a couple of months to get to the trade deadline with a strategy of clearing salary for the 2019 offseason. Then you get an unmerciful owner that demands a playoff appearance. You just wasted two months.

Again, this is a game, not real life. So the life expectancy of a human owner is not important in the context of the game. After all, in the game, human players live forever. How does that conform to your life expectancy tables?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
5-4-3
Minors (Double A)

This owner death fixation needs to be trimmed way back.
5-4-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
Mets52
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-4-3 View Post
This owner death fixation needs to be trimmed way back.
It has in the latest patch.
Mets52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
drhay53
Major Leagues

I mean, the game is about random chance. It's baseball. Your chance of death is pretty high at 92. IMO, I don't want a hard-coded time period where owners can't change. And I don't have a problem with the number of ownership changes either. I looked at ownership changes over the last couple decades in MLB and I don't think OOTP is as far above normal as people are thinking. Just my opinion; I don't think there is much value in hand-tuning the ownership model over other improvements to the game.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mets52 View Post
It has in the latest patch.
good news.

on the flipside, I guess I'm now stuck with the Interfering owner the last patch gave me.

worst. owner. possible.

has made for an interesting challenge...

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhay53 View Post
I mean, the game is about random chance. It's baseball. Your chance of death is pretty high at 92. IMO, I don't want a hard-coded time period where owners can't change. And I don't have a problem with the number of ownership changes either. I looked at ownership changes over the last couple decades in MLB and I don't think OOTP is as far above normal as people are thinking. Just my opinion; I don't think there is much value in hand-tuning the ownership model over other improvements to the game.
MLB has actually been really low, with very few ownership changes over the last 5 years, but was a lot more frequent before that. We can probably add a quick check to not have them die in the first year of a league, but yeah, it's simply a factor of the game. I don't think people choose the Nats or anyone else as a team to manage because of their owner, anyways.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #11
D-BacksJosh
Banned

This is the only owner you don't want to work for....
Attached Images
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:55 PM   #12
Qeltar
Major Leagues

Many people don't realize that the ending of that movie wasn't the original. The intended ending has a (somewhat) cool plot twist but they nixed it because test audiences preferred the owner as a cardboard villain (lol, I just realized she is literally a cardboard villain in that picture!).

Last edited by Qeltar; 04-25-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Qeltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #13
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if it's frustrating, go change the owner's ratings. remove their influence on the budget. turn off owner goals...

if these things are on, you live by their effects... personal choice.

he was 92, lol. pick a team with a younger/compatible personality owner. you can avoid this situation with common sense. if you like the Nats, just go in there and change it to a RL kids name with new age. i can relate to the latter. i only play with my hometown team. i don't abide cheap/interfering owners

side note:

like annoying children being great advertisements for birth control, Major Leauge 2 is a great example why you don't make sequels to comedies, lol.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-25-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #14
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
if it's frustrating, go change the owner's ratings. remove their influence on the budget. turn off owner goals...

if these things are on, you live by their effects... personal choice.

he was 92, lol. pick a team with a younger/compatible personality owner. you can avoid this situation with common sense. if you like the Nats, just go in there and change it to a RL kids name with new age. i can relate to the latter. i only play with my hometown team. i don't abide cheap/interfering owners

side note:

like annoying children being great advertisements for birth control, Major Leauge 2 is a great example why you don't make sequels to comedies, lol.
Is changing him from "interfering" (w/complete control of budgets) possible in challenge mode?

Old 04-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #15
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

oh, challenge mode.. nope..

always forget about challenge mode. in challenge mode the 1-year check would definitely be fair to the player... althugh if budget is set already and he dies mid-year i don't think that changes the budget eh?
Old 04-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #16
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
oh, challenge mode.. nope..

always forget about challenge mode. in challenge mode the 1-year check would definitely be fair to the player... althugh if budget is set already and he dies mid-year i don't think that changes the budget eh?
wouldn't think so. this wasn't a death, owner sold (IIRC) in offseason.

left me with an owner immediately overpaying aging players without my input & taking full control of all budgets.

will be interesting to see how much I can take.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #17
Reggie
Major Leagues

I've always played with owner goals off. Doesn't seem to matter to me who the owner is other than the size of the budget I get. I mean if an owner is going to micro manage and I can't reason with him about extending a highly over paid and declining veteran..what am I actually doing in the job?
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #18
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:

side note:

Then you get that illegitimate kid with Major League 3.........
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:54 PM   #19
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

It's all down to chance. I've been playing since OOTP 12 and I've had saves with 5 seasons played and no owner died or sold the team. I've also had saves where 3 different owners died in the first season. My only save so far in OOTP 19 I've had one owner die, in the first season (I think the Giant's owner?). This was before today's patch.
The Yurpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanIachimoe View Post
wouldn't think so. this wasn't a death, owner sold (IIRC) in offseason.

left me with an owner immediately overpaying aging players without my input & taking full control of all budgets.

will be interesting to see how much I can take.
make a template befor starting, if allowed, and if that happens right off the bat, restart easily.

-----

HA! i totally forgot bout "ML 3"