Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
Magus978
All Star Starter

Season 41 (2059) - The Thread

AKA the Magus Never-Ending Heartbreak Train.

Some tough leagues await the Steelport Saints and Metuchen Mariners as they try to rebound from various playoff failures. Steelport have to deal with PL champions Chiba Lotte Marines and New York Ghostbusters, with 7-time champions Saint Paul Fighting Saints, 4-time champions Toyosu Haruki, and 3-time champions Marshall Cardinals. Safe to say that it will not be Steelport's week.

Beaten finalists (I'm sick of using this term in regards to my teams) Metuchen, on the other hand, also have some trouble to deal with with multiple PL champions, so their prospects of getting back to the World Series seem grim at best.

Why can't I catch a break?

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
Thornbreaker
Minors (Double A)

Well the Totallers bounced back to a 82-80 record, with a -7 in pythagorean. Overall stats were solid, just unlucky.
Ironically the Gorillas made the playoffs as a wild card with their ragtag team in the same PL, just different league.

And I'm happy my Braves Bakery team has dropped back down to diamond where they can go for another title.

In other news, the Totallers have half the Indians missions completed and are a card away for the rest...of course some of those cards are 20 to 30k because of silly inflated prices, but what else is new. Maybe I'll get lucky this week and move a bit closer to my 100 Lou.

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Warbirds find themselves in P449 this year.

15 PL titles in their division.
25 in their conference.
40 in the league.

The Preseason predictor has the Warbirds winning the division (120 Wins) and the conference by 11 games...seems aggressive when I see the competition.
4 pitchers and 3 Hitters listed on the top performers section.

A weird pattern has developed with the 4PL titles.
First PL title was followed by a 2nd PL title 5 years later....then the 3rd four years later...followed by the 4th three years later...

It is now two years since my 4th so the pattern has the Warbirds as a lock to win the PL this year.

Last edited by macacks; 12-30-2019 at 09:12 PM.
macacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

The FTP Pack-Only Lowell Muck Rakers' 28 year run of playing .460 ball in Perfect Leagues may be coming to an unceremonious end in P442. We've had the misfortune of being placed in a division with three whales. Will need some magic to come out of those packs this week, methinks.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Probably the last time I put these up, since the ongoing historical pack travesty has wiped another couple of 10k PPs off my books and I just can't take the **** anymore.

Also attached, the KC card database. Hardly anything in there, but they never had more than like 75 players at any point. No collections, no nothing; few tournaments for the lack of cards. This team was always about trying to spin a winner on no bucks and no packs, just by turning the market inside out, but with the least amount of time invested possible. Some weeks, when I had time and muse, I flipped 30 to 40 cards. Some weeks I didn't even flip three. I was horrendous at predicting live player growth... or even maintaining status quo.

The green cell at the bottom is what drives me mad. I was *fairly* good at turning a trading profit. Before the powers that be released historical packs for coins rather than as rewards, I had almost 220k in total gains (including cards on hand).

And it has been COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY WIPED OUT.

Like the Huns came and burned all your **** down and then rode on to burn the next town down, too, senselessly. Or maybe they'll come back and burn your **** down once more. Every week historical packs are out there, I lose 30-50k. This week it was precisely.... (checks his addition machine) ... 32.789 PP. Just gone.

And I got about enough.

I know exactly what I'm gonna do in PT 21. Two teams; the Raccoons will get 20 bucks worth of packs whenever I feel like it. Do a collection here, buy a card off the market there. Second team will be a Mets team, within reason. I may declare pre-1958 Dodgers and Giants to be honorary Mets. And maybe allow up to four or five players from other teams as Mets' guests. Players I like. But I'm done playing with the market. Doesn't matter what you do, eventually the Huns come and burn your **** down anyway.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #6
dancariaz
Minors (Triple A)

My team looks like it can finally compete at Perfect, we reached the postseason 3 times out of the last 4 seasons. Last season was also the first 100 win season at Perfect (102 wins to be exact), so that's good to see. My lineup is nothing special - like literally nothing special, Gold Ichiro and SE Dykstra are by far my best WAR guys - but my pitching staff seems to be pretty decent.

I'll post my roster tomorrow if anyone is interested, like half the roster are mission reward cards and about 1/4 of the roster are cards that helped me complete the missions.

F2P Team
dancariaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #7
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancariaz View Post
My team looks like it can finally compete at Perfect, we reached the postseason 3 times out of the last 4 seasons. Last season was also the first 100 win season at Perfect (102 wins to be exact), so that's good to see. My lineup is nothing special - like literally nothing special, Gold Ichiro and SE Dykstra are by far my best WAR guys - but my pitching staff seems to be pretty decent.

I'll post my roster tomorrow if anyone is interested, like half the roster are mission reward cards and about 1/4 of the roster are cards that helped me complete the missions.
I'm interested. Maybe a snapshot of your staff and depth charts or just vs. LHP and vs. RHP lineups.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:05 PM   #8
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

The Frogs have landed in P430 this week. At a glance, P430 appears to be not nearly as strong as the OL/Old Timer 5 league was last week. Apart from the Frogs' stash of medallions, P430 boasts only 10 PL titles--most of those (8) earned by the Cottage Grove Tube Sox. The Tube Sox might be on autopilot a little bit judging by a LIVE Blake Treinen in the bullpen that sticks out like a sore thumb. This Treinen card's ERA has fluctuated from 1.41 (2057) to 12.63 (2055) in recent weeks. Being on autopilot might also explain why Cottage Grove have only won 1 PL title in the previous 10 weeks, after winning 6 from 2033-2048. The Greenville Canaries (2026) and Paragon City Heroes (2055) account for the other PL medallions in this league. None of these teams share a division with each other.

Seeing no other whales nearby (the mini-whale Tube Sox are in the other conference), the Frogs should comfortably win their division this week. In said AC East division, the non-Frog teams include the Mesquite Bullriders, Philly BlueJays, Calgary Cannons, and Hermosa Beach Mustangs. Pretty easy to tell this division is mostly casual as the Frogs are the only team with edited ballpark factors.

The Bullriders are probably the strongest team after the Frogs. Said Bullriders have been in PL since 2028 and have never been relegated. It's one of those hard luck teams, making the playoffs 21 times and not yet winning a PL title. They are actually coming off of a losing season where they gave up a lot of runs (811) so it was probably a challenging divisional placement. The Bullriders are usually in the 90-100 win category and should factor into the Wild Card hunt.

The BlueJays have been in PL since 2043 with only the 2045 season spent back down in Diamond. They've only made the PL playoffs once before. They don't have any perfect cards and are starting Chone Figgins at 3B. Will be an uphill climb for this clearly F2P team.

The Calgary Cannons are fresh up from an 88-win campaign in Diamond. This will be their 1st week in Perfect. Seeing LIVE Scherzer and LIVE Sale fronting their rotation, LIVE Matt Chapman at 3B and gold Ted Williams in LF means they'll be fighting to stave off relegation. A very right-handed lineup with no discernible added "cheese" and likely a Red Sox fan judging by the roster (Betts, Bogaerts, Nomar, Devers, Ted Williams, Sale, Smoky Joe, Kimbrel, Beckett, Lester, Foulke, Lowe, Uehara).

The Mustangs have been in PL since 2030 with a 2 year relegation period (2036-2037) in there as well. They've made the PL playoffs 12 times and have yet to win a title. The Mustangs figure to place 3rd in this division.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:36 PM   #9
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Interesting start to the new season. Those Senators got stuck in the division of doom last season and now land in the same division as the Bronx Bombers. In addition, the Radbourns and Phoenix are pretty good. You know... Maybe the Senators are being punished for all that Lyin' and Cheatin' they've been doing.

Tassie's off to a great start at 17-4 and looks like a lock for another division title. But the Raccoons... Weak division and yet a 9-11 start.

Last year's pitcher of the year was Schilling who's got a 6.28 ERA so far, followed by Sutton (5.29) and Pedro (5.27). Considering the teams in this conference, that's got to get better so I'm not going to make any changes yet.

And then there's the offense... We just got shutdown (1-0) by Righetti (6 IP, 0 ER) who's now down to a 9 ERA and 2 WHIP. Before that, we lost 4-2 to Matlack and company (he's now down to a 9.17 ERA). Wow.

p.s. - Now we're in last place (9-13, right above the relegation zone) and 12th(!) in R. I don't remember such a start before. Kind of funny, really. Reminds me of the bad spell the Senators had last year in August.
Attached Images

Last edited by old timer; 12-30-2019 at 11:34 PM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:19 PM   #10
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

old timer, a few seasons ago, a team I was sure I'd shake loose from stuck around until game 159 but if you feel good about your set-up, then I'd agree, no need to make any changes until maybe games 70-80? If you feel good about your set-up. May as well be patient & let the season mature a bit.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:45 PM   #11
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

P410: What a Difference a Week Makes

Last week in P466, the Huntley Red Raiders' 6 PL titles were third best--not in the whole league, mind you, but in the infamous NC East Division of Doom alone.

This season, Huntley, back at "Random" League Placement Setting, has been dropped in P410, which boasts 7 PL titles...total.

The other PL title belongs to the hot-starting AC East Atlantis Giant Squid, who won the title back in 2053 off a 100-62 regular season. The Squid have a nice Harry Brecheen, Spud Chandler, Bob Caruthers, (96) Roger Clemens, and CC Sabathia rotation, while the lineup is bolstered by a plethora of Special Edition cards (Scioscia, Appling, Clarke, Dykstra, and Ichiro).

Three other AC East teams have won Diamond titles, as have two AC Central and 3 AC West teams, but the AC team off to the hottest start, the AC Central Pacific Sixers (currently on a 10-game winning streak), aren't among them; the Sixers won a Bronze championship back in 2021 and have not won any titles since, despite making the playoffs 29 other times, 23 times in Perfect, including 6 seasons in a row and 13 out of 14. The Sixers boast a Lefty Grove, Tim Keefe, Rube Waddell, Carl Hubbell, Christy Mathewson rotation and a lineup with 100s aplenty (Posey, Foxx, Robinson, Wheat, Bellinger, Mays, Trout).

Huntley's NC West division mates have 5 Diamond titles among them, with Dunzie's Guelph Gryphons Red and the Lake Country Loosers with 2 apiece. Four of the NC East teams have Diamond titles, as do two NC Central teams, although the NC Central ayyy lmaos, off to a nice start, isn't one of them; they have a Bronze medallion, won back in 2020.

So, long story short (too late), P410 is wide open, and 28 teams have a great shot at their first PL title. Good luck to all!
Attached Images

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:56 PM   #12
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
The Bullriders are probably the strongest team after the Frogs. Said Bullriders have been in PL since 2028 and have never been relegated. It's one of those hard luck teams, making the playoffs 21 times and not yet winning a PL title. They are actually coming off of a losing season where they gave up a lot of runs (811) so it was probably a challenging divisional placement. The Bullriders are usually in the 90-100 win category and should factor into the Wild Card hunt.
Back in 2035, in a really weird PL setup (10 AC teams, 8 NC teams), Mesquite rode (sorry) an 89-73 third-place finish to the Perfect League Series, upsetting the Miami Jaws (106-56) and Hickory Crawdads (94-68) along the way.

Unfortunately, they ran into a bit of a Red Raider buzzsaw in the Perfect League Series.

In other words, if the Bullriders have the gleam of revenge in their eyes, I apologize.

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:58 AM   #13
Catchthedamnball
Minors (Double A)

The Mashers' first rodeo in perfect has them linked up with the BFF crew and a couple other teams I recognize from tournaments. Medford has luckily avoided most of those folks and find themselves topping a weak division at 17-9. Waddell, Vida, and Matlack have all pitched admirably. Seaver seems adequate but definitely more suited to a bullpen role in the future. Grove has been dreadful.

The offense and defense has made the transition to perfect rather nicely so far. The 9-1-2 wraparound of Joe Cronin, Buck O'Neil, and Rocky Colavito promises to get on base frequently, with the added bonus of some pop from Colavito that I was not expecting given the competition and my home park factors. Rickey is tearing it up, which may not last, but is fun. Cecil Travis (unsurprisingly) and Garry Maddox (to my surprise and delight) are both hitting .320. Cronin at short, Eddie Collins at 2B, and Maddox in CF is an excellent defensive backbone.

The negatives? I am counting the days until I find a real 3B so I can move Travis off of there and into a DH platoon with Al Simmons, who is not ideal against RH anymore, or really ever, but sometimes it is necessary. Biz Mackey's days behind the plate are numbered though he is still mustering a .750 OPS at the moment. And much as I like O'Neil and Colavito, there are better options out there at 1B and RF. For now, I pray for continued success...

Catchthedamnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:21 AM   #14
old timer
Hall Of Famer

At the top of the standings are teams like the Bombers, the Senators, Tassie (22-5!), etc. The teams you'd expect to see up there. So where are the Raccoons? Look at the bottom! Yup, 1 game ahead of the relegation zone.

So what's wrong? Well, let's see. How about pitching...
Schilling - 4.78 ERA
Pedro - 5.17 ERA
Clarkson - 5.04 ERA
Sutton - 5.29 ERA

On offense, there's the 113 contact Keeler hitting .211 which is one of the reasons why we're 11th "best" in R.

Obviously, we must be getting pounded by some whales, right? Well, let's see... Timbuktu took 3 straight from us and lost 98 games last year and appear ready to repeat that. In other words, most of our losses have come from teams that range from weak to middle of the pack.

I have to admit, I find this fascinating and almost want to just leave things be and see how badly we can do. But, I'll make adjustments once I see how things are going in about a month.

An abysmal start, but at least it's not boring!
Attached Images
Old 12-31-2019, 07:13 AM   #15
dancariaz
Minors (Triple A)

Alright, here's my roster. 69 Lavalliere is the player that didn't fit on the screen, he was acquired from the market.

You can see that I marked the players in the first screenshot:
yellow = mission reward (11 players)
blue = pack pull (4)
red = bought on market (10)

Diamond Greinke is by far the most expensive player I've bought. I really wanted him and I could also use him in the Wade Davis mission and the Royals collection. He cost 54k. Mordecai Brown was the 2nd most expensive, I got him 2 weeks ago for 33k. None of the other cards cost more than 15k.

A few notes on the roster: 77 Silver Gwynn is really good, even at Perfect. Decent fielder and won the batting title twice at Perfect. Live Bogaerts is a surprisingly good card against lefties, he's been on my team since April I think and was the starting 3B for a very long time. Live Severino was in my rotation for several months but was replaced a while ago. He's doing so well as the long reliever though that I just don't wanna remove him (yet). I think he never had an ERA above 3 in that role at Perfect.

btw: ballpark factors are 0.9 HRs, 1.25 doubles and 1.2 triples. Rest is default.

So yeah, this roster works pretty well despite the less than ideal lineup, that's where I'm searching for upgrades next, especially for the infield. The pitching staff is doing the heavy lifting and I think that I'm set there unless I finally get a Hank Aaron or Baker to finally complete the Braves collection

I'm probably done with missions in OOTP20 (I might go for SE Ichiro and SE Sisler, not sure yet, I have like 60% of the cards for both of those) so I hope I can snipe something good on the market every now and then
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

F2P Team
dancariaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:21 AM   #16
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
At the top of the standings are teams like the Bombers, the Senators, Tassie (22-5!), etc. The teams you'd expect to see up there. So where are the Raccoons? Look at the bottom! Yup, 1 game ahead of the relegation zone.

Schilling - 4.78 ERA
Pedro - 5.17 ERA
Clarkson - 5.04 ERA
Sutton - 5.29 ERA

On offense, there's the 113 contact Keeler hitting .211 which is one of the reasons why we're 11th "best" in R.

Obviously, we must be getting pounded by some whales, right? Well, let's see... Timbuktu took 3 straight from us and lost 98 games last year and appear ready to repeat that. In other words, most of our losses have come from teams that range from weak to middle of the pack.

I have to admit, I find this fascinating and almost want to just leave things be and see how badly we can do. But, I'll make adjustments once I see how things are going in about a month.

I was about to complain about my own team and how underwhelming it's performing, not so much because of the W/L but rather the way I'm winning and losing, but then I saw your team and I'm completely shocked-out-of-words....

I don't see how this is possible, your team is a clearly defying statistics.

X3NEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:17 PM   #17
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post

Schilling - 4.78 ERA
Pedro - 5.17 ERA
Clarkson - 5.04 ERA
Sutton - 5.29 ERA

Wow, yeh that's a terrible start Old Timer, that can't last though. You'll have that division wrapped up by the AS break.

Sens are doing ok, a few guys sucking so far of course. Griffey hitting .120!!, Ozzie hitting .214, Pedro with 7+ ERA, and big Walt off to a slow start.

Started Kershaw off as closer, he blew 2 of 5 chances already so he's been moved to MR/LR. So pulled Grove off the reserves just to fill a spot while a couple of cards sell and put him in as closer. 4 for 4 so far for him, might as well see how it shakes out.
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #18
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

The Frogs are frogging their way to the top this week. Started the week on a 9-game winning streak, and then survived an ugly 2-5 stretch where Harry Brecheen was blowing it every other game, before rocketing away from the rest of the division. The Frogs have won 18/20 with the 2 losses being 3-2 nailbiters that ended a 16-game winning streak. The Frogs are 27-4 at home so the renewed emphasis on Frog baseball seems to be working.

All of the AC divisions seem pretty much decided at this point, but the NC is a bit more undecided. Paragon City and Greeley are within shouting distance in the East (Paragon City has the better team). Houston and Backyard are tied for 1st in the Central, with Rocky Mountain nearby. The Melonheads are the defense-before-all-else team. I don't have a good feel for which team will win because they're all hovering around 0 RDiff. Cottage Grove has a healthy lead over the Expos in the West, but the Expos have been incredibly active improving their roster. Aside from 97 Pedro, their entire pitching staff is brand new in the last 2 weeks (100 Kershaw, 100 Smoltz, 98 Blue, 98 Marichal, 99 Caruthers, 100 Hoffman, 98 Bumgarner, assorted other SE Dodgers and Giants). Many of their position players are fresh off the shelf as well (SE Appling, SE Will Clark, SE Bobby Bonds, LIVE Trout). They still probably don't have enough to overtake Cottage Grove and their Hoyt/Schilling/Hubbell/Marquard/Nolan Ryan rotation, but it could get close.
Attached Images

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #19
Magus978
All Star Starter

Steelport somehow added yet another big gun to their already-loaded pitching staff. 98 Waite Hoyt came to the team from a run of packs, but has started 1-1 with a 6.75 ERA in 3 starts. Team officials believe that after a time of settling in and becoming a true Third Street Saint, Hoyt will be an invaluable asset.

As for the rest of the Saints, they've started 50-22, but had a very rough May, going only 14-13. Keith Hernandez is pacing the team on offense, hitting .378. The Saints boast 6 .310+ hitters in Luke Appling (.323), Dan Brouthers (.313), Hernandez, Josh Gibson (.345), Cody Bellinger (.338), and Richie Ashburn (.349).

On the mound, the Saints have been led by Ed Walsh (8-1, 2.58) & Gaylord Perry (10-4 ,2.85), as well as some great back-end work from Pete Alexander (10-3, 2.98). In the bullpen, the five-headed monster of Walter Johnson, Chief Bender, Dennis Eckersley, John Clarkson, and Harry Brecheen have combined for a 2.65 bullpen ERA, good for 2nd in the conference. Eckersley in particular has been impressive, as he has not allowed a run in his last 9 appearances.

Is this finally going to be the year for the Saints to rule their league and win that first PL title?

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:02 PM   #20
old timer
Hall Of Famer

The Raccoons have rebounded from that horrid start (10-16, last place). Since then we've gone 41-7 (.854). We've moved from 11th in R to 3rd and only Clarkson is still having problems in the rotation.

The main competition in the playoffs in the AC will come from the Athletics, Sanford and the LG Twins. The Oakland Athletics are a moderately successful Athletics theme team (it seems that the only players on the roster did play for the Athletics). So it has perfect Waddell, Fingers and Grove plus Blue, Lajoie, Collins, etc. In other words, they seem to have all the best A's cards. Being an A's fan, I really like seeing a team like this.

Then there's the Sanford Suns. We've been in a league with them twice before and it seems they've improved quite a bit since then (they were already pretty good). The Suns are the current leader in RDiff which is very surprising in a league with the Bronx Bombers in it.

The LG Twins appear to be a little brother to the (formerly known as) Stone Island super-team. They employ that lefty strat where you use the LHP SP for about 3 innings. I forget what some of you were calling that? Plus their lineup is all L or S hitters. Their park factors favor lefties, but not to the max. They've also reduced most to favor pitching. This team wins about 110 games per year with mostly middling cards (e.g., Matlack, Marichal, 98 Hubbell, etc.).

I'll save a description of the NC teams for another day. Currently, there are no real surprises in this league, except for our poor start and the Bronx Bombers poor (for them, I'm sure) RDiff. They're only on pace for +446 which isn't even great for the Raccoons (though we're only on pace for +324 which is quite poor for us too, especially considering the competition we've faced).
Attached Images

Last edited by old timer; 01-01-2020 at 10:06 PM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote