Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
waltwa
All Star Reserve

will increasing draft rds produce more quality draftees

will a 200 rd draft produce more qualty players than a 35 rd draft. if so i would have a 100 -200 rd draft but then when over i would remove the bottom 75% of 1/2 star and 1 star players.right now i am not happy with draft quality so i am spending time doctoring ratings
waltwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #2
andyhdz
All Star Starter

The game is coded to give you the proper amount of talent based on your league size. 200 rounds for a 30 team league will give you a lot of trash. Remember this isn't the NFL you're not going to get star players right out of the gate they will develop that's just the way it is
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
ThePride87
Minors (Double A)

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
The game is coded to give you the proper amount of talent based on your league size. 200 rounds for a 30 team league will give you a lot of trash. Remember this isn't the NFL you're not going to get star players right out of the gate they will develop that's just the way it is
That's one of the biggest mental adjustments I had to make with OOTP, the realization that the entire draft is one giant bundle of hope. Maybe a handful of 1st round picks look good from start to finish, but most of the time it's a major fog-of-war, even with a god-tier scout. These kids get drafted, and your ML team doesn't see them for 2-5 years....or even never. It's a test both of patience as well as acceptance when that 2nd round pick you really liked just isn't panning out....you gotta be able to admit you got it wrong.
ThePride87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #4
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
No. You would want to increase player creation modifiers That will make better generated players.

But the first 2-3 drafts have real people who ootp sets ratings for so those wouldn't change

Last edited by jimmysthebestcop; 04-02-2020 at 06:13 PM.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #5
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

the more rounds players are created for, the more better players you will get since creation is based on a bell curve.

Also keep in mind that player ratings are all relative. Once there are more players with high ratings, their stat output will be adjusted. a great player will be average once the league fills up with great players if you increase the rounds. it's all relative.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I think you should just adjust your expectations because you won't get the results you're looking for.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:44 PM   #6
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwa View Post
will a 200 rd draft produce more qualty players than a 35 rd draft. if so i would have a 100 -200 rd draft but then when over i would remove the bottom 75% of 1/2 star and 1 star players.right now i am not happy with draft quality so i am spending time doctoring ratings
In a manner of speaking, yes. The game generates the draft pool randomly (if you aren't using feeder leagues of course) so there is, say, a 0.1% chance to produce a 5-star player whenever one is generated (I have no idea what the actual percentages are, just that they're very low), you will have a much higher chances to have a 5 star player in your pool if the draft pool is 10,000 players large than if it's 500.

The flip side here is that the chances for every other kind of player goes up as well. If you wind up with a pool of 100,000 players every year, as an extreme example, your league is going to look extremely "flat" in terms of the difference between the best and the worst players because there are only so many spots to fill and the game can make players only so good.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:21 PM   #7
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

Two issues with this:

1. You’ll end up with a huge number of undrafted free agents
2. Two star guys effectively become half star players because everyone in the top league will be 4-star or above.
greenOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:53 AM   #8
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePride87 View Post
That's one of the biggest mental adjustments I had to make with OOTP, the realization that the entire draft is one giant bundle of hope. Maybe a handful of 1st round picks look good from start to finish, but most of the time it's a major fog-of-war, even with a god-tier scout. These kids get drafted, and your ML team doesn't see them for 2-5 years....or even never. It's a test both of patience as well as acceptance when that 2nd round pick you really liked just isn't panning out....you gotta be able to admit you got it wrong.
That in a nut shell is the real world MLB draft lol
One of the better descriptions ever
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote