Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:20 PM   #1
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

Value of Manager Mode?

Each year, I try to start a save in Manager Only Mode. Each year, I end up deleting this save because it is beyond the most frustrating experience with this game. And this is disappointing because I would love to be able to have a save where I have to use my wits to win or lose each game based on my actual strategy.

If the mode is functioning properly, then I’m not playing it correctly. In addition to my AI GM making the most boneheaded transactional decisions on a daily/weekly basis, I am confronted with the most mind-numbing cold streaks that seem to happen to the entire team for weeks on end. While this is baseball, it is challenging because I have zero interaction with the AI GM and I cannot motivate the team through other means. I am literally forced to hope it simply ends on its own.

If you’ve had some successful experiences with Manager Only Mode, I’d love to hear about them.
christophermichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
DaBears
Major Leagues

I play almost exclusively in MGR-only mode, and have very much enjoyed it. There are frustrations, no question, and I have asked several times that the team consider adding a couple of simply tweaks that would make it better (1, allow a MGR only to determine the active roster as this is how it was done for much of history; 2, allow the MGR to do something like "team needs" in the trade menu, but for your GM to influence their moves).

That said, I find MGR-only to be a great option if you really want to play with one of the top ten or so teams revenue-wise. If you play GM and as the the NYY, LAD, BOS, etc. and can't win, you're just not very good at this game. The "boneheaded" moves you talk about do happen, but those act to even things out a bit if your team has a ton of money. One game I have tried and am still playing around with a bit was making my GM (in editor mode) have 190-200 scout ratings with a medium-level team like ATL or CLE, then go with what they do. That actually worked out pretty well. Yes, you are cheating a bit to make the GM that but it offsets some of the stuff a GM with 130 ratings is going to do as the AI. Maybe try one of those tweaks I am suggesting and see if it helps.

I never enjoyed the game all the much as GM because if you trade and don't do stupid free agent signings, you simply can't make it that tough with a large budget team. I enjoy the challenge of plodding my way through a season a day at a time and trying to overcome what the AI GM does.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:41 PM   #3
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
That said, I find MGR-only to be a great option if you really want to play with one of the top ten or so teams revenue-wise.
I play as the Royals. And I find GM Mode too easy. Even on Challenge Mode, I can always rebuild the Royals and turn them around for good after 3 - 4 years. What I want is to find a way to better enjoy the MGR-only Mode. I may move towards a lineup and substitution-only strategy, with the idea being that the cpu will follow the global strategy I’ve implemented. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #4
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I will say XX does a lot better job setting up KC front office then 19 did. 19 had KC above avg market with really good loyalty and interest.

In xx they are below avg market, poor loyalty, and 54 fan interest. So it should be harder to generate revenue with them as in 19 once you won or got popular players their revenue would increase a lot.

Since their market size and loyalty are so much smaller in XX even after you have turned them around in 3-4 years you might encounter a struggle because chances are revenue won't keep up as much as it did in 19 so less extensions and less free agent money.

Or try Oakland or Miami their financials are even worst. You will basically be playing with arbitration players only and once they become all stars you will have to get rid of them cause you won't even be able to afford more then 1 or 2 multi-million arbitration contracts.

MGR only mode doesn't have enough for me. Its just pressing 1 or space bar pretty much the entire game. As being a saber guy most of the options bunt, steal , run/hit don't apply. Only thing I can do is pinch hit/run and swap pitchers.

I enjoy mgr mode to give me a break a couple time every in game month from my GM duties.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:30 AM   #5
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
In xx they are below avg market, poor loyalty, and 54 fan interest. So it should be harder to generate revenue with them as in 19 once you won or got popular players their revenue would increase a lot.
This is a great point. I sort of spent some time this evening trying to make sense of what “success” would look like for a manager of the Royals. I basically came to the same conclusion you’ve presented here.

Also, thanks for the reply about the mode itself. I like to be a bit more involved than what you described but I can still appreciate the point you are making about the limitations of the mode.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:38 AM   #6
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanstephans View Post
This is a great point. I sort of spent some time this evening trying to make sense of what “success” would look like for a manager of the Royals. I basically came to the same conclusion you’ve presented here.

Also, thanks for the reply about the mode itself. I like to be a bit more involved than what you described but I can still appreciate the point you are making about the limitations of the mode.
Think what I really like is checking all my minor league levels. I enable real service time and roster size. I would say most of my time is focused in on the minors. Way more trades, transactions, pickups, scouring the world for minor league players lol

But I tend to not play the above avg markets so its all about the minors in those cases. Need an endless supply of young bodies to take over at the majors every year.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:04 AM   #7
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Think what I really like is checking all my minor league levels. I enable real service time and roster size. I would say most of my time is focused in on the minors. Way more trades, transactions, pickups, scouring the world for minor league players lol

But I tend to not play the above avg markets so its all about the minors in those cases. Need an endless supply of young bodies to take over at the majors every year.
Totally. When I’ve played as the Royals GM in previous versions, this is precisely what I have done. I also use the service time/roster size limits. I also constantly make minor league trades and amateur FA signings.

It made the game fun for a different reason. Still fun, but not because of the game strategy of baseball. More like Jonah Hill in Moneyball.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:52 AM   #8
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)

If you set up a league and play as MGR and GM, could you not assign all of the GM duties to the Asst. GM? Simply maintain control of "Active Roster Moves" and you would basically be able to MGR Only with control over the roster? I haven't done this and don't play solo, so....
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPinrose View Post
If you set up a league and play as MGR and GM, could you not assign all of the GM duties to the Asst. GM? Simply maintain control of "Active Roster Moves" and you would basically be able to MGR Only with control over the roster? I haven't done this and don't play solo, so....
That’s an interesting idea. It may be what I end up resorting to.