Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

AI not maintaining full minor lg rosters

I've had this issue ongoing. I once had to delete an entire feeder league because the AI wasn't transferring players from the roster into rotations and lineups.

Now this morning I discovered my overnight sim was stopped because a minor league team had illegal number of players (6).

I start each season ensuring that all parent teams have enough players in their organization.

I can choose one of two solutions: click "fill teams with fictional players" or run a FA draft. The former defeats the whole purpose of simming. I do the latter if most or all teams are running low. However, this time I have just the one organization with the issue. Running a FA for one team risks stacking that team. Plus, because they need at least 19 players, it needs to be a large draft, which nullifies the first year draft scheduled later in the season.

Why is the AI not able to maintain full rosters?
HonusWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Can't help with your main problem, but you don't have to fill all teams, you can just fill that one team that's short. Not ideal, but maybe a work around for the time being.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

True. And I overlooked that in the OP.

That was one thing I tried with the feeder league I deleted. I kept clicking for AI to fill team with fictional players and the lineups remained unfilled, so I thought it wasnt working. Then I went to the team's roster page and found 200+ players on the roster! Then I clicked AI fill all lineups and it wouldnt do it. I then went to the trouble of going into Comm Mode and filling out all effected lineups manually. Only to have the same issue reappear a few games later. It was around then that I seriously thought about ripping OOTP 18 off my SSD.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Something odd happening there. Never had this problem myself, AI always does a good job with those things.

Do you have ghost players on? I'm guessing no.

Have you gone to league setup and run AI manager on all teams?

Is there something in your settings for age/service limits that forcing the AI to release players?

A few things I can think to check right off the top of my head.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

No ghost players. AI manages everything, though didn't click that explicitly, as I assume it's default. No age limits or restrictions.

However, in going through individual parent organization records re signings vs releases, the only thing I can see is that the org with the issue did hardly any FA signings. That might seem obvious, but I was wondering if they did any FA signings at all, and it appears they did, but only a few.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Do they have any $$$ to spend on FA's?
Old 04-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
drhay53
Major Leagues

I have experienced a single instance where the AI did not properly fill one of my minor league teams. Either rookie or short-season A ball had like 6 players, and I had to do an 'ask AI to set up all rosters' from the rosters and transactions screen. It's only happened once and I couldn't decipher a cause. Unfortunately can't remember what time of year it was, but I think it was offseason.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

This issue has always happened in season.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

The bug must still be there... but possibly other cuases, too

they probably aren't signing available FA... check and add "Service Time" column... sort ascending and see how many meat the requirements for your Rookie league - or whatever.

if you have to Ask AI to setup their minor league system, that may only patch the problem... if they continue to make decisions that reduces # of incoming younger players, even that option won't work (bit luck of the draw, how the cookie crumbels etc).

this is more true for an uneven MiL system, but still occurs with a 1:1 setup, too. because some teams have 3-4rookeis and some have 2 etc.. (including disparate upper levels), some are more sensitive to # of created players per year than other teams.. definitely more sensitive... in this type of setup you will have to err more on the side of safety in numbers (ie more draft rounds).

even if the MiL is an even # of teams for each club, you still have trades and all sorts of other factors as to why some teams run lower than others at various times.

so, think of # of players created per year as a resulting range of Rookie-league #'s per team... shoot for 45-50 at the lowest level and you should be covered... even with that i had to click "ask ai to setup minors" for a couple teams... BUT, they also were not signing the 100's of FA that qualified for that league....

this plus the flatter stats is making any longer-term sim a bit difficult to rationalize at the moment.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #10
gosensgo101
Minors (Triple A)

I usually solve this problem by giving them a bunch of crappy young free agents. If it's only one or two teams there are usually enough of them to solve the problem manually like that.
gosensgo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the Fill function shouldn't bee too overpowered, either...

although if it's adding ~20+ players to 1 team, it may be... but if it's a handful per team and one gets lucky with a prospect it's not too big of a deal... worth it when multiple MiL teams are missing a handful of players each.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:15 AM   #12
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

It sounds like this is a known issue..
Old 04-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #13
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonusWagner View Post
It sounds like this is a known issue..
I don't really know that it's a known issue as such. Weird stuff can happen on occasion, usually related to some sort of settings snafu, but this certainly isn't something that's come up in testing much or even at all to my knowledge.

So we probably like to take a look at your league files to see what's going on, instructions on getting them to us are in my signature.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #14
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

I've FTP'd "New Majors.lg.rar". There is another file uploaded previously, weeks ago, named New Majors.lg.zip". I think it was pertaining to the same issue. Thanks. Also submitted ticket.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #15
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonusWagner View Post
I've FTP'd "New Majors.lg.rar". There is another file uploaded previously, weeks ago, named New Majors.lg.zip". I think it was pertaining to the same issue. Thanks. Also submitted ticket.
Thanks, got it!

Old 04-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #16
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

This was brought up in testing. Markus said ghost players were needed ....

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...p?issueid=9616

maybe things have changed.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #17
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
This was brought up in testing. Markus said ghost players were needed ....

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...p?issueid=9616

maybe things have changed.
Yeah, I used ghost players as a remedy but since I was managing it was a mystique-letdown to play against a roster of Joe Unknowns, so turned it off. Also, it seemed that with ghost players activated the minors just got increasingly emptied of actual players.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #18
native son
Minors (Double A)

AI not filling teams, particularly in the lower level minors (without ghost players enabled) has definitely been reported by others and has happened to me every version since at least OOTP 14. On those occasions teams still had money, but it seems that they’re either not attempting to sign players or perhaps it’s that no players will sign for the amount of money being offered.

I play semi-historical fictional, and have often let the minor leagues operate independently but with a much, much smaller salary scale. I think there’s a cutoff point at which even the worst players in the universal free agent pool (think beer league softball level) won’t sign for an amount below their demand – and it affects teams ability to field a full team. It’s frankly maddening.

Maybe allowing the option to have ghost players for all leagues, and not just for affiliated minor leagues, would be a quick workaround that many could live with in lieu of a more permanent fix (?).
Old 04-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #19
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Matt looked at this and found a bug that sometimes prevented signings and fixed it.

So hopefully this will be ok now even without ghost players. If you've had the problem, check out how it goes in the next patch and let us know

Old 04-29-2017, 05:27 PM   #20
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
I don't really know that it's a known issue as such. Weird stuff can happen on occasion, usually related to some sort of settings snafu, but this certainly isn't something that's come up in testing much or even at all to my knowledge.

So we probably like to take a look at your league files to see what's going on, instructions on getting them to us are in my signature.
i posted in bugs forums about it during first or second patch, plus at least 1 other person also posted about it at the same time -- within hours of each other, i bet.

my hypocrisy goes only so far, though. i can't put more effort into it than that for free out of principle it was easily repeatable with any league in this context too... no odd settings... simply didn't sign MiL FA ever over 50-70 years... LoL. if 'they' choose not to investigate it because i didn't upload soem files that were completely unneccessary to recognize this problem...well, that's not my job. i am a consumer, not an employee. i'm already going beyond normal expectation by reporting bugs.

i'm sure things get missed too... but if it was caused by any type of pettiness over not uploading files, that's silly when it's so simply apparent without those files (i'm sure few reports qualify liek this, but this one does for sure -- no setup was immune to it, it was broad in scope and easily understood)).

Last edited by NoOne; 04-29-2017 at 05:30 PM.