Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Molten
Bat Boy

Question before I buy...

I'm new to the game, but very excited about the idea of joining the community. Am I able to install this on my desktop and laptop? I travel a fair amount and bring my laptop, but when I am at home I only use my desktop. If it is possible, is there any way to keep the same game on each?

If I can't do this, I'll just have to keep with iOOTP 12 for travel but would love something with a touch more depth if possible.
Molten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

You get two licenses with your purchase.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Molten
Bat Boy

Perfect, so I can install it on two computers.

Is there any way to sync the two computers so I can maintain the same game or will it be two different games?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

You can play the same game on both, but you have to copy the game files back and forth (using a flash drive or such). Depending on the size of your league, the files can be a burden to copy. Sometimes they are 100s of MB, to give you a scale.

But the short answer is yes, you can play the same league on both.

Last edited by TribeFanInNC; 04-12-2012 at 10:56 AM.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten View Post
Perfect, so I can install it on two computers.

Is there any way to sync the two computers so I can maintain the same game or will it be two different games?
OOTP allows for a non-default "save game" location, so you could use an external hard drive (or thumb drive, although performance would suffer, as there is a lot of disk read/write activity) to store a league and then move it back and forth.

Personally, I find it easier to just zip up the league folder and move it back and forth on a thumb drive.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Molten
Bat Boy

Awesome. I'll be sure to employ these tactics. Thanks for the quick, quality responses. Looks like a fantastic community.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

If you have webspace, you could upload the league zip file and then d/l it on the other computer.

Otherwise, you could move that zipped file onto a thumb drive.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
jonpfl
Minors (Triple A)

I have used a thumb drive to transfer files back and forth between computers and it works great (just takes awhile to copy it all onto the thumb drive)

One issue I had is my work computer had a different user name (first initial followed by last name) so I had to create a soft link (not sure what you call it in windows) with that same name to relate to my home PC username

If you need more info about this, let me know and I can see what I did when I get home

Thx
jonpfl
jonpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
snepp
All Star Starter

I suggested this elsewhere, but using a backup utility that allows for differential copies can make copying league files between computers easier and less time consuming. No reason to copy thousands of files every time when there may be only a fraction that have changed.

You may even be able to accomplish the same process by using the in-game backup and restore functions. (but don't quote me on that)

Last edited by snepp; 04-12-2012 at 11:19 AM.
snepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

It'd be nice if we could save and load from the cloud.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
It'd be nice if we could save and load from the cloud.
Who is going to provide the cloud?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
VARoadstter
Minors (Triple A)

You could use dropbox to give you access to your files everywhere.

I do.
VARoadstter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
Jabez54
Hall Of Famer

While this is all good and awesome to do with both types of PCs ...

Suggestion: why not have two different types of Assn ... whichever, you use the most, have that as the most active - while the other as the lesser of the two ... currently, I like having 4 different types of Assn running currently ... two in Fictional and two in Historical of different Eras ... this way, whatever the mood I'm in, I played in one ... I'll never get bored ... and That's Baseball ....
Old 04-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I play a fictional association on my (Windows Vista) home desktop and on my (Windows 7) laptop when I travel or just want to play on my sofa. It takes 20 minutes or more to copy 35,000+ files to a USB flash drive when I want to go from one computer to the other, because every file is copied when using the drag and drop in Windows Explorer. I researched alternatives and came up with SyncToy, a Microsoft product. It is free.

Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - SyncToy 2.1

This tool is excellent. It is very easy to configure and there is a wizard to assist. I "echo" my saved games folder between the computer and the flash drive, and it only copies the files that have changed. Then I "echo" the same folders going from the flash drive to the receiving computer. (Echo is one of the options in the program - it is a one-way sync.) I typically have less than 1,000 changed files and it takes only a minute or two. It has saved me a lot of time.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
oman19
All Star Starter

Orcin..You are my new best friend if I figure out how to work this.

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #16
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman19 View Post
Orcin..You are my new best friend if I figure out how to work this.

It's pretty easy. I started by copying my entire saved_games folder to my flash drive using drag and drop, so that they were already mirrored. Then I set up the C: to E: (flash drive) sync using the Echo option. I loaded my league into OOTP and then closed the game again, so that just the basic files saved (something to test but not too many). I ran the sync operation with SyncToy and you can see the dozen or so files being replaced in the report at the end. It takes a little longer than you think to run because it is actually checking every file, but it should complete in a few minutes.

EDIT: I think it is best to choose the ECHO option because I want an exact mirror, when files are renamed or deleted I want that to be done on the other machine too.

Once you get that one set up, just do the same thing in the other direction on your second computer. Then you have to make another pair of sync folders to go in reverse order on each computer. Once you have these four pairs set up, the only thing to do carefully is to make sure you choose the right pair (or you will copy the old files over the new files like I did once).

The longest syncs are after January 1 and pre-season where every player gets a scouting update and/or pic change. Those can take several minutes with a large league.

Last edited by Orcin; 04-12-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #17
jbmagic
Hall Of Famer

DropBox is very good for synching for the cloud. Just put your league file in there and have the game point to that. This way you can play it on your desktop and continue the same league on your laptop and vice versa.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
jonpfl
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snepp View Post
I suggested this elsewhere, but using a backup utility that allows for differential copies can make copying league files between computers easier and less time consuming. No reason to copy thousands of files every time when there may be only a fraction that have changed.

You may even be able to accomplish the same process by using the in-game backup and restore functions. (but don't quote me on that)
Can you tell me what backup utility you use?

Thx
jonpfl
Old 04-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
jonpfl
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
DropBox is very good for synching for the cloud. Just put your league file in there and have the game point to that. This way you can play it on your desktop and continue the same league on your laptop and vice versa.
Is that slow?

Can I take an existing league and copy it to DropBox and modify the path ingame?

Thx,
jonpfl
Old 04-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #20
snepp
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpfl View Post
Can you tell me what backup utility you use?

Orcin's suggestion in this thread would work just fine.

I use Puresync for most of my backup/syncing needs, but it's unnecessarily complicated for a task like this.
snepp is offline   Reply With Quote