Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Suggestion for PBP: Brush-back pitch

I think it would be neat to have a brush back option alongside 'hit batter'. Actually, maybe over the years OOTP could incorporate pitch by pitch locations and pitch selections on top of that for even more immersion and in game strategy. Just thinking out loud.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
Cornelius McGillicuddy
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
I agree on the brushback but not on the rest. Mogul has that and when I played it a few years ago I didn't like it at all. You're being the player and not the manager. But maybe you would. Have you tried the demo?
Cornelius McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh View Post
I think it would be neat to have a brush back option alongside 'hit batter'. Actually, maybe over the years OOTP could incorporate pitch by pitch locations and pitch selections on top of that for even more immersion and in game strategy. Just thinking out loud.
Would this proposed brushback have any other effect than immersion (and being an automatic ball)?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #4
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Would this proposed brushback have any other effect than immersion (and being an automatic ball)?
I can't really think of any, other then another button I can push during a game LOL! I guess it would require a completely revamped PBP system of pitch selection and location for pitchers and maybe even guess pitch selection and location buttons for batters which now that I am talking about it I can see how complicated and ridiculous it is with no actual benefit to the game itself...
Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich12545 View Post
I agree on the brushback but not on the rest. Mogul has that and when I played it a few years ago I didn't like it at all. You're being the player and not the manager. But maybe you would. Have you tried the demo?

Yeah, I am an x-mogul addict, so I can see where the suggestion came from, and you are right, then you are the player and not the manager and if that is the case I would rather play MLB The Show.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
Dr. dru
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich12545 View Post

Maybe not for every pitch but I would think a manager could have some say in pitch location. I would think the pitching coach at least could go over in game strategy before the game. Like pitch in to this guy. Pitch this guy low. So pitch location could be good addition.
Dr. dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can't really think of any, other then another button I can push during a game LOL! I guess it would require a completely revamped PBP system of pitch selection and location for pitchers and maybe even guess pitch selection and location buttons for batters which now that I am talking about it I can see how complicated and ridiculous it is with no actual benefit to the game itself...
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:56 AM   #8
jmm8356
All Star Starter

Quote:
I think it could have an effect...

Some batters respond to an intimidation attempt (such as a brushback) by squeezing the bat tighter (i.e. reduction in ratings for remainder of AB)...

... while other batters might respond to an intimidation attempt by getting mad and focusing more (i.e. increase in ratings for remainder of AB).

So, I like this idea, because it's something that a manager can order, it arguably has an effect in reality, and it's an effect that can be easily simulated.

Obviously, the effect should be small (along the same lines as preferred batter v/s pitcher matchups), but it doesn't have to be just a button you can push to make yourself feel better after giving up the big tater.
jmm8356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:26 AM   #9
Dregen
Minors (Double A)

I like the brush back it could cause a batter to be slower on pitches on the inside portion, perhaps get the opposing manager upset (I'd like to see rivalries come into the game where the crowd, managers, and teams get more heated in certain series).

Pitch by Pitch location? No, I think a Pitching Coach should go over strategy with the pitchers before a series (same with a Hitting Coach) and have that displayed to the manager who can make changes to it.

Therefore, you would have some idea if a Pitcher is missing his spots in the strike zone, ignoring the strategy, etc.
Dregen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
Cornelius McGillicuddy
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, sometimes the ball would actually hit the batter and once in a while it would cause an injury.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
blade813
Minors (Single A)

i like this idea also ... it could also lead to warning from umpire ... and possibly ejection if he hits batter later .. then potentially suspension or causing bench clearing brawl with numerous suspensions
Old 06-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

And occasionally a pitcher ejection?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #13
Cornelius McGillicuddy
Banned

Quote:
And occasionally a pitcher ejection?

That would depend on the year you're playing. And maybe the rep of the pitcher.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #14
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Maybe era rather than year.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
GrantDawg
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I can think of one. It make playing the games out more fun. Playing FM for years (where the games are much more fun and exciting), that is still my one problem with OOTP. The game-day still doesn't feel "fun." I rarely play games out because of it (unless it is an important game, like the deciding game of a playoff. And that is just to make sure the right pitchers/subs are used). The widgets and game screens are nice and all, but it still just doesn't feel like a game. Calling pitches would be a blast. But I do understand it isn't really what this game is about. *sigh*
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #16
clwalcott
Minors (Triple A)

The answer I've heard when calling individual pitches (fastball, curve, change etc) is that these are selected randomly when you select "pitch to" (and as far as I know "pitch around", although maybe there's more breaking stuff there). This seemed odd to me, especially when pitch ratings were brought in, surely if I have access to knowing what certain pitchers throw well and what they throw poorly, that can effect the decisions I make. I'm already combining the role of manager and general manager, I don't see what the problem with incorperating play caller would be.
clwalcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Some people would take issue with it, I suspect.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #18
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Having pitch location buttons would be a little over the top, but I think a brush back option could be integrated. It is a strategic move used by pitchers often in the big leagues and can have both positive and negative effects, and it will give you an option besides 'hit batter'. I like to play out every game of the season so I am all for more options in the PBP. I like the idea of creating a rivalry structure within the game as it will add depth to the story line of your league.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #19
Cornelius McGillicuddy
Banned

Quote:
Maybe era rather than year.
Sure. Not really much of a difference. Plus the suggestion of possible brawls was good. This whole thing is a cool idea.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #20
Cornelius McGillicuddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwalcott View Post
The answer I've heard when calling individual pitches (fastball, curve, change etc) is that these are selected randomly when you select "pitch to" (and as far as I know "pitch around", although maybe there's more breaking stuff there). This seemed odd to me, especially when pitch ratings were brought in, surely if I have access to knowing what certain pitchers throw well and what they throw poorly, that can effect the decisions I make. I'm already combining the role of manager and general manager, I don't see what the problem with incorperating play caller would be.
I suppose as an option it would be ok but it would take a lot of study every time you play out a game. You'd need to study the pitcher and every batter on the opposing team to know what he likes. Plus this would be an enormous headache to program because if the AI didn't do a decent job then the player would have a huge advantage. Every pitcher and every player for historical would need tendencies programmed. Then, what about fictional play?