Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
halfbutt
Minors (Double A)

Pitcher blowouts

How come the starting pitcher only lasting 0.1 or 1.2 innings happens so frequently?

I'm not sure how to search for a real life statistic to compare to, but it seems like starters getting shelled and leaving the game super early is happening way too often.

Is this a sign that I should be lengthening my "pitcher hook" strategy?
halfbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #2
Charlatan
All Star Starter

At the risk of sounding like a jerk I think when your pitchers only pitch an inning it means they’re pretty bad! If they can’t make it out of the first inning a change in your hook strategy is not going to have an effect.

It might be a combination of one or more of: having poor pitching, facing really good hitting, and bad luck. It will get better, I guarantee it.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:10 PM   #3
Grizzlegom
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbutt View Post
How come the starting pitcher only lasting 0.1 or 1.2 innings happens so frequently?

I'm not sure how to search for a real life statistic to compare to, but it seems like starters getting shelled and leaving the game super early is happening way too often.

I honestly haven't really been able to make heads or tails of the way pitching works in the regular season PT mode. It feels very much like random luck (both good and bad). Theoretically it should all even out over the course of a full season but it didn't really in the first season for me so idk, it could just be that overall rating doesn't actually matter as much as certain combinations of traits for certain players.
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:34 PM   #4
johnwlits
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
I honestly haven't really been able to make heads or tails of the way pitching works in the regular season PT mode. It feels very much like random luck (both good and bad). Theoretically it should all even out over the course of a full season but it didn't really in the first season for me so idk, it could just be that overall rating doesn't actually matter as much as certain combinations of traits for certain players.
If by overall rating you mean the overall value, I learned last year that the value labels on the cards make no sense at least 30% of the time. I.E., you have to start figuring out which individual ratings you want to prioritize.

Last year, the Chris Singleton card was rated somewhere in the 70s, and I swear he consistently had better seasons for me at Gold and Diamond level than he did in lower levels. He averaged probably between 3-4 WAR per week for me, despite the fact that he was only an all star I think one time. Definitely my favorite White Sox card from PT20.
johnwlits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
Grizzlegom
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwlits View Post
If by overall rating you mean the overall value, I learned last year that the value labels on the cards make no sense at least 30% of the time. I.E., you have to start figuring out which individual ratings you want to prioritize.

Last year, the Chris Singleton card was rated somewhere in the 70s, and I swear he consistently had better seasons for me at Gold and Diamond level than he did in lower levels. He averaged probably between 3-4 WAR per week for me, despite the fact that he was only an all star I think one time. Definitely my favorite White Sox card from PT20.
Yea, I'm honestly starting to think I just bought/got all SP that are in that "despite their ratings, they actually kinda suck" group. My rotation is PEAK Cueto, Kluber, Carrasco, Nola, and Sonny Gray and through the first month, the lowest ERA I have among them is Cueto at 4.33. The rest are all north of 5. All of them had high ERAs last year but I chalked that up to likely being a result of the whales (I'm F2P but have been very aggressive on the AH and in tourneys so my team is entirely silver+) and having tough competition. This season they are getting knocked around by bronze/iron lineups consistently though so I'm really struggling with understanding what I'm doing wrong at this point.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:33 PM   #6
Grizzlegom
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbutt View Post

Got a new catcher (Chance Sisco -> Tucker Barnhart) and this pretty much stopped happening. I suspect there's a strong correlation between a catcher's defense and the performance of your pitchers.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:22 AM   #7
halfbutt
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
Got a new catcher (Chance Sisco -> Tucker Barnhart) and this pretty much stopped happening. I suspect there's a strong correlation between a catcher's defense and the performance of your pitchers.
Interesting. Buster Posey was my main catcher for a while but Mickey Tettleton did start here and there, switch hitting power bat and all.

Maybe Saberhagen and Kyle Hendricks don't like pitching to Mickey....
Old 04-03-2020, 12:35 AM   #8
halfbutt
Minors (Double A)

This season, just past the all-star break there have already been 11 blowouts:

1. Guzman 0.1 IP 5ER
2. Burke 1.1 IP 5R 4ER
3.Hendricks 2.0 IP 6R 3ER
4. Saberhagen 2.1 IP 7 ER
5. Berrios 1.0 IP 7 ER
6. Burke 2.2 IP 5 ER
7. Gausman 3.0 6ER
8. Saberhagen 2.1 6ER
9. Saberhagen 1.2 6ER
10. Gausman 2.2 6ER
11. Corbin 1.2 7 ER
12. Gausman 1.1 IP 6ER

Now, I realize, some of these are on account of errors, and some are against first or second place whale teams, but some are not.

Some of these guys are not on my active roster anymore, but it kind of seems like this is just a thing that happens on a somewhat regular basis.

Last edited by halfbutt; 04-04-2020 at 11:05 AM.
halfbutt is offline   Reply With Quote