Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #1
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Outfield cross training

In my experience with PT 20 you could always train an outfielder to play all three positions. Well, technically some corner outfielders could only play left and right but not center. So you could take a guy whose only rating was in LF and put him in RF and eventually he would develop some proficiency there.

However, in PT21 I tried to stick a guy who was only rated in LF in the lineup playing RF (or maybe it was the reverse) and I was told he was not eligible to play that position. This seems like a new restriction. Is there some indication on the card ratings (that’s visible in the AH) that indicates this? I’d hate to buy a player thinking I could cross train him for a corner position and find out after the fact that he was not eligible. Thanks!
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:32 PM   #2
Sipimi
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
In my experience with PT 20 you could always train an outfielder to play all three positions. Well, technically some corner outfielders could only play left and right but not center. So you could take a guy whose only rating was in LF and put him in RF and eventually he would develop some proficiency there.

However, in PT21 I tried to stick a guy who was only rated in LF in the lineup playing RF (or maybe it was the reverse) and I was told he was not eligible to play that position. This seems like a new restriction. Is there some indication on the card ratings (that’s visible in the AH) that indicates this? I’d hate to buy a player thinking I could cross train him for a corner position and find out after the fact that he was not eligible. Thanks!
I haven't seen anything on the card but there might be a trigger for each position with one of the defensive ratings (ex.: below 35 arm cannot play RF). I tried to play Buckner in RF and I got the same message - he's not a bad defender in LF (over 50) but he has a 30 rated arm.
Sipimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #3
Charlatan
All Star Starter

That’s a good theory… And I think it’s Buckner I was trying to put in RF!
Old 03-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
Sipimi
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
That’s a good theory… And I think it’s Buckner I was trying to put in RF!
Good to know I was not the only one trying that tactic! Back to your point, I'd be okay with OOTP orientation - not playing guys out of position if they won't perform at a "decent" level - if there weren't cards like this one below.

Buckner would be a way better defender at RF than Renteria at SS, so why block the first if you allow the second to play (even if it's his primary position) ?
Attached Images
Old 03-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #5
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Basically, anyone who, with full training, would never even be a 1 rated at a position, in PT cannot be placed there anymore. So in the above case, Buckner would likely fall below the line in RF hence why he wouldn't be allowed there.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #6
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Basically, anyone who, with full training, would never even be a 1 rated at a position, in PT cannot be placed there anymore. So in the above case, Buckner would likely fall below the line in RF hence why he wouldn't be allowed there.
A guy who is 50+ in LF that is blocked from playing RF doesn't seem right. I get CF. Or a LF who is a natural 20.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter24 View Post
A guy who is 50+ in LF that is blocked from playing RF doesn't seem right. I get CF. Or a LF who is a natural 20.
Sorry, yeah, double-checking, we had a stricter check in than was intended. We'll fix that up so that he can play there.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:52 PM   #8
Sipimi
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Sorry, yeah, double-checking, we had a stricter check in than was intended. We'll fix that up so that he can play there.
Thanks for the responsiveness Matt, much appreciated!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #9
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
This why this game is so awesome. So many other sims/games ignore the player base or only respond very rarely.

This just keeps the game getting better and better.

Pine Tar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes I wonder, whatever happened to all the people I gave directions to ..
Never take a sleeping pill and laxative at the same time.
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #10
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipimi View Post
Good to know I was not the only one trying that tactic! Back to your point, I'd be okay with OOTP orientation - not playing guys out of position if they won't perform at a "decent" level - if there weren't cards like this one below.

Buckner would be a way better defender at RF than Renteria at SS, so why block the first if you allow the second to play (even if it's his primary position) ?
Wow. He was that bad a defender?

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #11
Orion
Major Leagues

He was adequate before his knees were turfed. Buckner was very athletic in his early years, nothing like the Boston era version. The thing was Buckner was one of 'those guys'. He really only cared about hitting and had a Ted Williams attitude about anything else in the game. That made him a liability in the field when coupled with lack of mobility.

Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:07 PM   #12
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Matt, thanks for looking into this and thanks (in advance) for fixing the bug! You rock!
Old 03-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #13
Sipimi
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Wow. He was that bad a defender?
If you're talking about Renteria, he wasn't Jeter-bad at SS but he was horrible that year with Boston.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #14
Morgans Magic
Minors (Single A)

Renteria actually had decent range. He made a LOT of errors.

But that seems awfully unfair, if you know that Kevin Millar was the first basement. He wasn't exactly Dick Stuart (aka Dr. Strangeglove), but he wasn't doing Renteria any favors. As he went back to St. Louis and had a decent year, I'm not sure it's entirely fair.... and I think I raised his score in the post about bad ratings. here is a comparison. He won a GG two yrs before Boston visit. I still think they need to fix him.

Age Tm Ch PO A E DP Fld% RF/9 RF/G lgFld% lgRF9 lgRFG Awards

27 STL 652 222 419 11 92 0.983 4.41 4.3 0.973 4.45 4.42 AS
28 BOS 655 227 398 30 90 0.954 4.35 4.08 0.972 4.6 4.55
29 ATL 597 185 399 13 76 0.978 4.15 4 0.972 4.41 4.38 AS

Last edited by Morgans Magic; 03-27-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Morgans Magic is offline   Reply With Quote