Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
waltwa
All Star Reserve

the last thing ootp needs

I am a player of ootp from the beginning. it has been and continues to be the best online game in my opinion.

I play online as a fulltime hobby but there are down times and then I play solo.
solo is good but what it needs to be great is visible gameplay. I used to play mogul and actionpc. both have adequate visuals but are both terrible games. it just befuddles me that a game as bad as baseball mogul can be fun to play out a game and watch the batter swing, ball flight and runner advancement. I have to believe as advanced as ootp is that the visuals can't be introduced.

hopefully 2016 will see that great step taken.
waltwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

I agree, it's the last thing that ootp needs. There is debates about this all time. We'll not all the time but a lot
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Yes, OOTP needs it, but it's far from the "last" thing OOTP needs
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
waltwa
All Star Reserve

well ootp may need a few things but visuals would be #1 on my list
waltwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
curt
Major Leagues

I agree about visuals. It's a great game, but some visuals would make it by far the absolute best!!
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #6
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

So I HEAR the game needs something. After extensive study of the history of baseball itself, I HEAR that there was this instrument called RADIO, that had some talented people describing the action on the field so well that those listening could envision, with some help of something called imagination, what was happening as if they were there!

Some of these BROADCASTERS are actually in the BASEBALL HALL OF FAME for what they have done for the game. You can look it up.

Believe it or not, this practice is still in existence today, from what I HEAR.
It's even on this new thing called the internet, or so I've HEARD!

Please be aware that no eardrums were harmed in creating this response. My humble opinion is that the OOTP game might set itself apart from all the twitch and flick games which are trying to reproduce the actual visual spectacle of a baseball game by utilizing the tool that has served the game so well for so long. It will not be easy, but I think it might be an option and I have a couple of ideas if anyone is interested. Or, as with so many of my posts, this will be the last thing ever written here. (Notice I didn't say HEAR!)
Old 12-04-2015, 04:49 AM   #7
Bowtie
All Star Starter

For a long time now I've wanted to see visuals added to OOTP.. I used to play Front Office Manager (the PC game that featured A's GM Billy Beane). That game would have been a lot better if they could have used the real players.

Other than the things I've requested in my Suggestions thread, this is the lat thing OOTP needs.

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Visuals are LITERALLY the last thing OOTP needs.

So, once OOTP has added everything else possible to make this a perfect game, then it can add useless eye-candy.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #9
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Love how this thread's title can be used to support either side of this argument. A+ job OP
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #10
redranger
All Star Reserve

I remember a game called Baseball for Windows that radio announced the play by play from Ernie Harwell. For its time it did an amazing job of this. It truly was like listening to a broadcast as you played out your game. Something like this with the depth of OOTP would be incredible adding to the immersion
redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #11
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

More 3D B.S. is the last thing this game needs. Just more crap I won't use to make my computer run slower and take up more memory. OOTP is a sim. If you want graphics beyond facegen stuff, go play MLB The Show or something.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #12
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER11JP View Post
So I HEAR the game needs something. After extensive study of the history of baseball itself, I HEAR that there was this instrument called RADIO, that had some talented people describing the action on the field so well that those listening could envision, with some help of something called imagination, what was happening as if they were there!

Some of these BROADCASTERS are actually in the BASEBALL HALL OF FAME for what they have done for the game. You can look it up.

Please be aware that no eardrums were harmed in creating this response. My humble opinion is that the OOTP game might set itself apart from all the twitch and flick games which are trying to reproduce the actual visual spectacle of a baseball game by utilizing the tool that has served the game so well for so long. It will not be easy, but I think it might be an option and I have a couple of ideas if anyone is interested. Or, as with so many of my posts, this will be the last thing ever written here. (Notice I didn't say HEAR!)
I would actually prefer to hear a realistic sounding broadcast then watching poorly pixelated players running around.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #13
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
It is pointless to argue this, because Markus wants a rudimentary graphical representation of the on-field action in OOTP and it will happen eventually.

But those that think that this will come at the expense of improvements in other areas are mistaken because Markus is out-sourcing most of that and so it will not take his precious time away from dealing with the meat of the simulation.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #14
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
It is pointless to argue this, because Markus wants a rudimentary graphical representation of the on-field action in OOTP and it will happen eventually.

But those that think that this will come at the expense of improvements in other areas are mistaken because Markus is out-sourcing most of that and so it will not take his precious time away from dealing with the meat of the simulation.
I definitely not saying that I would not welcome it. I would just hope that the sound would be improved first. Baseball has always been a great audio game

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

Old 12-04-2015, 11:52 PM   #15
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER11JP View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
I would actually prefer to hear a realistic sounding broadcast then watching poorly pixelated players running around.
Hear, hear.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:56 PM   #16
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSeventiesGuy View Post
Hear, hear.
I see what you did there!

Old 12-05-2015, 01:30 AM   #17
elfroggo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Am I the only one who likes the presentation of OOTP? I think the text boxes and the play-by-play and the graphic of the field is absolutely fantastic. I've always been a fan of simple things and making things look clean but not over-the-top and I think that Markus does a fantastic job at that.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:57 AM   #18
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfroggo View Post
Am I the only one who likes the presentation of OOTP? I think the text boxes and the play-by-play and the graphic of the field is absolutely fantastic. I've always been a fan of simple things and making things look clean but not over-the-top and I think that Markus does a fantastic job at that.
elfroggo,

I agree with you on the fantastic look of the game. The sound bar was set quite high back in the 90's by a game that pales in comparison overall to OOTP, but had great audio with Ernie Harwell doing the PBP. You could set both teams to be managed by the computer and let it run and it was almost like listening to a live broadcast. Every game was in HDPI. (High Definition Personal Imagination)!!!

JP
Old 12-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #19
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

I disagree, but only if visuals slow down the game or slow down my experience. I'm not technically sound enough to know whether it will or not...but my goal is for the game to be as fast and smooth as possible and if we add graphics or "visuals" wouldn't that potentially slow it down?

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #20
jmm8356
All Star Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger View Post
I remember a game called Baseball for Windows that radio announced the play by play from Ernie Harwell. For its time it did an amazing job of this. It truly was like listening to a broadcast as you played out your game. Something like this with the depth of OOTP would be incredible adding to the immersion
And it was twenty years ago!!!... "We have the technology, we can rebuild him, better than he was before..."
jmm8356 is offline   Reply With Quote