Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
david limbaugh
All Star Reserve

Is playoff seeding bug fixed?

Is playoff seeding bug fixed? i.e. two teams finished tied for first. One team took 9 out 12 from the other one. Team that lost 9 of 12 is seeded higher. Why????
Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
jmm8356
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by david limbaugh View Post
Is playoff seeding bug fixed? i.e. two teams finished tied for first. One team took 9 out 12 from the other one. Team that lost 9 of 12 is seeded higher. Why????
In fairness, MLB just changed their tiebreaker system (again?) in 2009 to the following:

Quote:
If two teams are tied atop the division and both are assured of making the postseason, head-to-head record would be used to determine which team is the division champ and which falls to the Wild Card.
If two teams are tied atop the division and share the Wild Card lead with another club, the ties will be broken in the following fashion:
• The teams tied atop the division will play, with the winner taking the division.
• The losing team will then play the remaining Wild Card contender, with the winner making the playoffs.
If three clubs are tied atop a division or Wild Card standings, each club would be designated in one of three slots, "A," "B," or "C." Clubs get to choose their designation based on head-to-head records. Tiebreaking games would then proceed like this:
• Club A hosts Club B on Monday, Oct. 4
• The winner of the first game hosts Club C on Oct. 5, with the winner declared champion.

From Tiebreaker scenarios, possibilities abound | MLB.com: News
... But I agree that we ought to do it right.

(With maybe an option to change the seeding ourselves if we're historical replay people... in case we want to do it the old but wrong way! )
jmm8356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
professor ape
All Star Starter

Fixing the tie-breakers would be good too but I believe that the issue being talked about here is the problem where playoff seedings with eight teams will put the #1 and #2 teams in the same half of the bracket. This makes them face off potentially in the second round instead of in the finals.
professor ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
oman19
All Star Starter

Seeding and tie-breakers are the number 1 thing I believe needs fixing. LGO has been beating this drum for awhile and I'm right there with him on it.

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
david limbaugh
All Star Reserve

This is fundamental to the game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman19 View Post
Seeding and tie-breakers are the number 1 thing I believe needs fixing. LGO has been beating this drum for awhile and I'm right there with him on it.
This is one thing that has to be right. And it hasn't been for quite some time.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
mm7607
All Star Reserve

This is just one of the things that should be fixed that keeps getting ignored but we have tons more front office stuff.
mm7607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
oman19
All Star Starter

I've been using TonyM's playoff editor utility. I came up with my own set of tie-breakers and use that to make sure the seeding and homefield advantages are right.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm7607 View Post
This is just one of the things that should be fixed that keeps getting ignored but we have tons more front office stuff.
I love veiled "Markus doesn't listen to the community" statements. Always makes them that much more effective.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
mm7607
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
I love veiled "Markus doesn't listen to the community" statements. Always makes them that much more effective.
I don't see any veils. Markus can take it as he wishes. Does he listen to the community? I don't think he listens to all of us.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #10
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think he listens to all of us.
Which to my way of thinking isn't exactly a bad thing. Nothing personal I just don't want Markus listening to the opinions of people like you and me. We're biased and a bit too passionate about what we want to see in the game. If he listened to you and me OOTP would be run into the ground faster than.... well I'm too tired to be witty but you get the idea.

I have my suspicions on how Markus decides what will and won't be added or what will and won't be fixed, but they're only suspicions.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #11
mm7607
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
Which to my way of thinking isn't exactly a bad thing. Nothing personal I just don't want Markus listening to the opinions of people like you and me. We're biased and a bit too passionate about what we want to see in the game. If he listened to you and me OOTP would be run into the ground faster than.... well I'm too tired to be witty but you get the idea.

I have my suspicions on how Markus decides what will and won't be added or what will and won't be fixed, but they're only suspicions.
I bet I have the same suspicions. I agree I am biased and want certain things added. Don't get me wrong I REALLY like and enjoy this game but a few additions would make absolutely awesome.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:13 AM   #12
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
And it's not difficult to do (I've done it, obviously). The only thing the game can't handle at the moment is double elimination due to the round number not being stored in a game history which messes up D-E if two teams meet for a second time.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm8356 View Post
In fairness, MLB just changed their tiebreaker system (again?) in 2009 to the following...
Actually, the part you posted was changed way back in 2001, if I recall correctly.

The change made in 2009 was a small one: in the case of a two-way tie, instead of home field advantage for tiebreaking playoff game being determined by a coin toss, it was now given to the club which had the better head-to-head record between the two clubs during the regular season. If neither club had the better record, then a coin toss would be used.

The MLB news article on this change can be found here. (See the final paragraph.)
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
overkiller
Minors (Double A)

I'm sure Markus reads the forums like anyone else but doesn't respond to every single post. I wouldn't either.

However the few times I have had a actual game-stopper problem, I got a reply from Markus himself and sent him my league files and he fixed them.

So to say he ignores the forums is hogwash - I know for a fact he doesn't. But I'm sure he reads them and just doesn't post because then he's be posting all day instead of coding. Besides that's what his moderators are for
overkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
david limbaugh
All Star Reserve

What I have asked Markus to do for years.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
And it's not difficult to do (I've done it, obviously). The only thing the game can't handle at the moment is double elimination due to the round number not being stored in a game history which messes up D-E if two teams meet for a second time.
Thanks for all your hard work on this. What I have been asking Markus to allow for several years now is just let us edit the post-season like we can the regular season. Let us set up the games each day. That way we can handle who gets seeded where by whatever criteria we choose and we can do things like byes and double-elimination tournaments by controlling the games played each day, with some way of designating the final championship game for the record book....
Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #16
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

I did see a minor playoff error in one year of my league in XI. I was tied for first in my division on the last day of the season. A third team was competing for the wild card and had the same record as my team and the team I was tied with.

Real world this is how it is handled.
One game playoff between the two teams tied for the division. This is a regular season game. Emphasis on regular season game. The winner wins the division and therefore the loser will drop to .5 games behind the formerly tied for the wildcard team. So the team in the other division will be the wildcard regardless of outcome.

OOTP
I had the one game playoff as prescribed by the MLB rules. However, the game did not count it as a regular season game. I lost, the other team won the division (correct) and I got a one game playoff for the wildcard (incorrect). This is in error because the one game playoff for the division is a regular season game and I should not have had a chance for the wildcard. Things worked out right and I lost anyway but the other team had to burn a pitcher that could have started game 1 of the playoffs.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggio509 View Post
I did see a minor playoff error in one year of my league in XI. I was tied for first in my division on the last day of the season. A third team was competing for the wild card and had the same record as my team and the team I was tied with.

Real world this is how it is handled.
One game playoff between the two teams tied for the division. This is a regular season game. Emphasis on regular season game. The winner wins the division and therefore the loser will drop to .5 games behind the formerly tied for the wildcard team. So the team in the other division will be the wildcard regardless of outcome.
That was true in MLB up until about 2001.

Then it was changed so that all tie situations are calculated as of the last day of the regular season and the results of tiebreaking playoff games no longer factor in.

Since 2001 MLB resolves the situation this way: the two clubs play first to resolve the divisional tie. The winner gets the division title and moves on to the post-season. The loser then plays the other club for the wild card berth—this is because the two clubs had the same record on the last day of the season. The winner of that game wins the wild card slot.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #18
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

I suppose I am decade behind on the rules and Markus got it right.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:27 AM   #19
jmm8356
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Actually, the part you posted was changed way back in 2001, if I recall correctly.

The change made in 2009 was a small one: in the case of a two-way tie, instead of home field advantage for tiebreaking playoff game being determined by a coin toss, it was now given to the club which had the better head-to-head record between the two clubs during the regular season. If neither club had the better record, then a coin toss would be used.

The MLB news article on this change can be found here. (See the final paragraph.)
Luckily (for all of us!), there's someone here who actually does know what he's talking about! Thanks, LGO!
jmm8356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #20
oman19
All Star Starter

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ustrating.html

Just thought I would post this here too since it's along the same lines. Inexcusable something as basic and as important as playoff seeding and tiebreakers is not correctly dealt with.