Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 07-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
battists
Hall Of Famer

Post OOTP and Strategy First

As some of you noticed, Strategy First has produced a version of OOTP 10 with their own branding.

We are currently working through some stuff with Strategy First, and will post as soon as we can with clarifications on pricing, support, and patching for the Strategy First version of the game.

As of now, you cannot patch the Strategy First version of the game with the patch files found on our site.

Update: We have settled the issues and the patch for the Strategy First version of OOTP will be available shortly on their site!

Thanks for your patience,

OOTP Developments

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 07-06-2009 at 01:18 PM.
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
chimanbj
All Star Reserve

What's really interesting is that none of their games seem to be priced higher than $15. How did this come about?
Old 07-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Pike
Minors (Single A)

Well you $29.99 pre-order guys should be feeling great about right now.

It's funny, I've heard the phrase "To Good To Be True" more times than I know, and still haven't learned that lesson yet.

Markus, PM sent. SF is not replying to my emails, I'm counting on your organization being more upstanding than that.
Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimanbj View Post
What's really interesting is that none of their games seem to be priced higher than $15. How did this come about?
Even more interesting the first game you see is priced higher than $15. OOTP at $19.99.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

We have to discuss things with SF, communication is problematic right now.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 07-02-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
Pike
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Even more interesting the first game you see is priced higher than $15. OOTP at $19.99.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Most of the games are junk bin titles. That's how the prices are so low. I'm still trying to figure out why Markus would make OOTP available to an outfit like this, and questioning myself as to why I would buy from them.

Fingers crossed that Markus comes through here. I've got faith.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

I know this is going to come off wrong, PO a couple of folks, and maybe even derail the thread, but I can't help it after reading the other two threads and not commenting, and now another reference here in this one. So, here goes anyway.

I don't understand why anyone would care if someone else got the game at a better (or worse) price. I pre-ordered, and am in NO WAY WHATSOEVER, upset, jealous, angry or whatever at those who got it for less than what I paid. I got the game almost a full month before them and two days before "non-pre-orders" just as promised; I knew the price when I paid it - just like any other product I buy and agreed to buy it; and I knew that the price could and most likely would change at some point in the future just like any other product.

I've had a few complaints about OOTP, and still do, but their marketing and sales efforts isn't one of them. And I'm posting this not to start an argument but to insist that the feeling that us pre-orderers are somehow upset over the Strategy First purchasers IS NOT unanimous, even if the posting prior to this one was.

YMMV...
Old 07-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Call in the lawyers!

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
Pike
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
I know this is going to come off wrong, PO a couple of folks, and maybe even derail the thread, but I can't help it after reading the other two threads and not commenting, and now another reference here in this one. So, here goes anyway.

I don't understand why anyone would care if someone else got the game at a better (or worse) price. I pre-ordered, and am in NO WAY WHATSOEVER, upset, jealous, angry or whatever at those who got it for less than what I paid. I got the game almost a full month before them and two days before "non-pre-orders" just as promised; I knew the price when I paid it - just like any other product I buy and agreed to buy it; and I knew that the price could and most likely would change at some point in the future just like any other product.

I've had a few complaints about OOTP, and still do, but their marketing and sales efforts isn't one of them. And I'm posting this not to start an argument but to insist that the feeling that us pre-orderers are somehow upset over the Strategy First purchasers IS NOT unanimous, even if the posting prior to this one was.

YMMV...
That was my point as well yesterday, even before finding out that I've basically purchased a bootleg copy of the game.

I think, as I said yesterday, that most would have been happy to pay the $10 for getting the game a full month or more than this $20 version. Add in this mess about the patch, and well.....you guys are smelling pretty good.

What isn't good, is buying from what you think is a legit source, and then finding out its legit but about to be unsupported.

Markus - I understand that what they are doing is against what you told them to do. But hanging folks like myself to dry does nothing to them. Their reputation with me is cemented regardless. Whether you put a supported patch on this site is what decides the OOTP side of this. I've been buying since OOTP 6--every version at full price except for OOTP 2007. I can't see where adding patch support for this version is unfair. And as I mentioned, if it means paying the extra $20, so be it.

Last edited by Pike; 07-01-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
Pike
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
As some of you noticed, Strategy First has produced a boxed version of OOTP 10 with their own branding.

We are currently working through some stuff with Strategy First, and will post as soon as we can with clarifications on pricing, support, and patching for the Strategy First version of the game.

As of now, you cannot patch the Strategy First version of the game with the patch files found on our site.

Thanks for your patience,

OOTP Developments
Also, it is not a boxed version, it is a download version.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
EagleEye_0
All Star Starter

What is interesting though is that text sims are generally direct downloads from the company who makes them and have a fixed price point set by that company. This is in contrast with most products which are sold retail and because of the large array of companies that sell the product there will always be sales and price undercutting and customers look for it will always hear of a better deal that they missed out on. Still, I understand those who are upset that they paid X amount and the price drops so suddenly here because it is unique to this particular product type.
EagleEye_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
That was my point as well yesterday, even before finding out that I've basically purchased a bootleg copy of the game.

I think, as I said yesterday, that most would have been happy to pay the $10 for getting the game a full month or more than this $20 version. Add in this mess about the patch, and well.....you guys are smelling pretty good.

What isn't good, is buying from what you think is a legit source, and then finding out its legit but about to be unsupported.
Markus has clearly indicated they are not legit ie what they offered was not authorized. I can't imagine why OOTP would be expected to support this.

Based on the info available you have a slam dunk case for a refund from Strategy First. Your CC provider will very likely assist you.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
EagleEye_0
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Markus has clearly indicated they are not legit ie what they offered was not authorized. I can't imagine why OOTP would be expected to support this.

Based on the info available you have a slam dunk case for a refund from Strategy First. Your CC provider will very likely assist you.
Actually it appears them offering the game is indeed legit. What was a not part of their agreement was the price cut. If the game is not going to be supported I will want a refund from them and I will look at purchasing OOTP X at a future time when their is an official price cut. It's been a while since I bought a version of OOTP, but I know Markus always does the right thing, so I am not worried that this situation will work out one way or another.
EagleEye_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #14
battists
Hall Of Famer

Guys, there are a lot of assumptions going on above about what will or won't happen, and who is or isn't "in the right." There's no point in getting riled up talking about what is supported or not supported right now. This could be as simple as a mis-communication between the two companies that just needs to be cleared up.

Let's just wait for Markus and Strategy First to come to an agreement, and we'll move forward from there as best we can, OK?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 07-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #15
Pike
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Guys, there are a lot of assumptions going on above about what will or won't happen, and who is or isn't "in the right." There's no point in getting riled up talking about what is supported or not supported right now. This could be as simple as a mis-communication between the two companies that just needs to be cleared up.

Let's just wait for Markus and Strategy First to come to an agreement, and we'll move forward from there as best we can, OK?

Thanks!

Steve
That's fine, though a response to my PM would be nice. I'm getting nothing from SF either, and it's frustrating when you seem to be getting ignored by both sides.

Sorry if I have come across as impatient or unreasonable. As I've been saying, I have full faith that Markus will not let me down.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #16
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Who is Strategy First? I never heard of them.
StyxNCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
Afino
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyxNCa View Post
Who is Strategy First? I never heard of them.
Ask Bill "Spaceball" Lee! Or whatever his name is.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #18
NCBeachBum
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Ask Bill "Spaceball" Lee! Or whatever his name is.
Dude. C'mon. Spaceman. Bill "Spaceman" Lee. Lefty pitcher for the BoSox. Half nuts. Threw an eephus. Threatened to bite an ump's ear off. Constantly opined on the medical benefits of his MJ use. You gotta know the Spaceman.
Shame, shame on you

NCBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #19
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

I don't care about this deal screwing over the pre-order folks, but it can't be good for the OOTP coffers to have a niche game like this at 50% off within weeks of release.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #20
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killebrew View Post
I don't care about this deal screwing over the pre-order folks, but it can't be good for the OOTP coffers to have a niche game like this at 50% off within weeks of release.
All Strategy First titles are on sale 50% off right now. It is not just OOTP.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote