Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 22 > OOTP 22- New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 22- New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-12-2022, 08:36 PM   #1
Taco Lover
Minors (Single A)

replay defensive ratings

I'm about to replay 1983 season for KCR, which began in 1969. I see the Royals have what seem to be defensive ratings on steroids. A big jump from what they were in 1982.

For example player defensive stats went up huge for:
C Jim Sundberg 85 to 95
2B Frank White 65 to 100!!!
SS UL Washington 50 to 100!!!
3B George Brett 54 to 96
CF Willie Wilson 64 to 100
RF Amos Otis 93 to 100

The same looks to be true for most players on other teams with a few exceptions. For example, it did not take place -
1B Willie Aikens 54 to 56, which is kind of funny because he's won the Gold Glove at 1B in 1981 and 1982.

The league batting average for 1982 season was a paltry .228 compared to the actual .261 of 1982. I'm sure the hitting will be even worse with the whoppingly high fielding ratings. Any suggestions on what can be done to get things more normalized?

Season is now on January 1, 1983. Is it too late to make changes to settings and have them go into effect for the 1983 season?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Taco Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:59 PM   #2
Taco Lover
Minors (Single A)

I've played 14 seasons (1969 thru 1982) and this is the first one to have statistics veer noticeably off track. I'm not sure what I did to make that happen. I'm guessing that I made a change within the settings prior to the 1982 season, but don't remember what it was.

Now the situation looks to be worsening with inflated fielding heading into 1983 season, which I'm guessing is why the 1982 league BAV was lower than normal.

How can this be corrected so stats are more reasonable for the 1983 season?

Reading the OOTP22 manual and it looks like adjusting "Position modifiers" might be able to do so. Right now they are set at the "Defaults" where everything is a 1.0 (range and errors).
Will changing these ratings lower the player fielding ratings?

For example, I'd like to see most of the 100 ratings be reduced to something similar to what would match 1983 when league average was .979 for fielding %.

Anyone ever experience this before?
Old 04-13-2022, 09:41 PM   #3
Taco Lover
Minors (Single A)

I've been assuming that the inflated defensive ratings are due to a mistake I made in settings.

But... now I'm wondering if maybe it has nothing to do with changes I might have made to the settings. Maybe just the game becomes corrupted broke after a certain number of seasons? Or maybe it's related to the 1969 season have been started with OOTP18?

Anyone experience what I'm trying to explain about the suddenly super high fielding ratings?

Anyone willing to take a stab at helping with this? Or know of another thread that might address it?

I'm searching older threads now looking for info.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:44 PM   #4
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Do the underlying ratings for arm, range, and error support the overall position ratings?

Pirates Play Moneyball 1951 to 2008 46,000 views and counting!
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:19 PM   #5
Taco Lover
Minors (Single A)

I think the DEFENSIVE RATINGS support the POSITION RATINGS, but am not positive. The KCR starter numbers are below and teams across the league are all similar, with loaded multiple defensive 100 rating players.

Jim Sundberg
C 95
Ability 68, Arm 94

Willie Aikens (In previous 1981 season Aikens won GG with 54 ratings.)
1B 56
Range 6, Error 6, Arm 7

Frank White
2B 100, SS 96
Range 98, Error 67, Arm 74, DP 98

UL Washington
2B 43, 3B 100, SS 100
Range 100, Error 64, Arm 99, DP 88

George Brett
1B 56, 2B 4, SS 81, 3B 96
Range 88, Error 57, Arm 99, DP 86

Pat Sheridan
LF 47, CF 77, RF 100
Range 91, Error 56, Arm 81

Willie Wilson
LF 100, CF 100, RF 30
Range 100, Error 69, Arm 93

Amos Otis
LF 48, CF 100, RF 100
Range 100, Error 62, Arm 97
Old 04-14-2022, 06:22 PM   #6
Taco Lover
Minors (Single A)

During previous 14 seasons (69-81) I don't recall a Royal ever having a 100 rating.
Old 04-15-2022, 01:11 PM   #7
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Lover View Post
I've played 14 seasons (1969 thru 1982) and this is the first one to have statistics veer noticeably off track. I'm not sure what I did to make that happen. I'm guessing that I made a change within the settings prior to the 1982 season, but don't remember what it was.

Now the situation looks to be worsening with inflated fielding heading into 1983 season, which I'm guessing is why the 1982 league BAV was lower than normal.

How can this be corrected so stats are more reasonable for the 1983 season?

Reading the OOTP22 manual and it looks like adjusting "Position modifiers" might be able to do so. Right now they are set at the "Defaults" where everything is a 1.0 (range and errors).
Will changing these ratings lower the player fielding ratings?

For example, I'd like to see most of the 100 ratings be reduced to something similar to what would match 1983 when league average was .979 for fielding %.

Anyone ever experience this before?
Are you using autocalc at the beginning of each season. Autocalc doesn't just change League Total Modifiers, that adjust BA, BABIP, OBP, etc. etc. etc. It also adjusts fielder's range and error modifiers by position. It also adjusts for double plays on ground outs and line drive outs.

None of my fielders has a default of 1.000 in range or errors. All have been adjusted using autocalc.

If you are autocalcing and seeing this I don't know what to say. If you are not, you should be IMHO. Autocalc is your friend
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 07:17 PM   #8
Taco Lover
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Are you using autocalc at the beginning of each season. Autocalc doesn't just change League Total Modifiers, that adjust BA, BABIP, OBP, etc. etc. etc. It also adjusts fielder's range and error modifiers by position. It also adjusts for double plays on ground outs and line drive outs.

None of my fielders has a default of 1.000 in range or errors. All have been adjusted using autocalc.

If you are autocalcing and seeing this I don't know what to say. If you are not, you should be IMHO. Autocalc is your friend
Thank you for helping me. I do have autocalc on. I changed Winter meeting dates from what it normally is, so maybe that messed up the defensive ratings some how?

Right no I'm on JAN 23. Changed Winter meeting dates to JAN 24-37 and the preseason date to JAN 22.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:25 PM   #9
Taco Lover
Minors (Single A)

I've tried making changes to LEAGUE SETTINGS - STATS & A1 by unchecking box "Lock league total stats" and after doing so Range remains 1.000 for all positions, but Errors has changed to:
Pitcher .772
Catcher 1.102
1B .839
2B 1.331
SS 1.230
3B .964
LF 1.037
CF 1.201
RF .910

However, all KCR and other MLB players defensive stats remain as they were before except for Willie Aikens, who changed to what is listed below.

Willie Aikens
1B 56
Range 31. Error 31, Arm 19, DP 31
Old 04-15-2022, 09:30 PM   #10
Taco Lover
Minors (Single A)

Tried changing all Range from 1.000 to .5000 and advanced league to next day of Tue, JAN 25, 1983... but still no changes in defensive ratings.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:40 PM   #11
Taco Lover
Minors (Single A)

When I click "Restore Defaults" in LEAGUE SETTINGS-STATS & A1 the Errors goes to 1.000

When I then click under MODIFIERS "Auto-Calc Modifiers" the Errors goes to:

Pitcher .657
Catcher 1.559
1B .890
2B 1.280
SS 1.258
3B .934
LF 1.103
CF 1.191
RF 1.055

The player defensive ratings however have remained the same as before.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:03 PM   #12
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tried changing all Range from 1.000 to .5000 and advanced league to next day of Tue, JAN 25, 1983... but still no changes in defensive ratings.
The ratings are not going to change. The modifiers will make them play nicer within the engine. IOW it should give you realistic stats. That is the purpose of autocalc setting the modifiers.

Years ago one had to do this all manually. You, on the other hand should not be making changes manually. When you do it is just guess work and certainly not the precise work autocalc will do for you.

Without playing the league I would have no idea what is going on with your ratings. I don't know what you did when setting up the league as far as making changes to default settings? My guess is if the Royals ratings took such a leap so did the ratings for the whole league. No idea if this is "normal" when playing historical? I've only tinkered with that mode. There are others here that only play that and may have answers. Maybe pop into the historical forum and take a look around and ask there?

Other than that to me the fist step would be to return to default settings, run autocalc, let the season play, and see what you have when done. It may fix it. If not you have a base to work off to try to figure out what might be going on.

Sorry with historical that is about as much as I know. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:47 AM   #13
Taco Lover
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
The ratings are not going to change. The modifiers will make them play nicer within the engine. IOW it should give you realistic stats. That is the purpose of autocalc setting the modifiers.

Years ago one had to do this all manually. You, on the other hand should not be making changes manually. When you do it is just guess work and certainly not the precise work autocalc will do for you.

Without playing the league I would have no idea what is going on with your ratings. I don't know what you did when setting up the league as far as making changes to default settings? My guess is if the Royals ratings took such a leap so did the ratings for the whole league. No idea if this is "normal" when playing historical? I've only tinkered with that mode. There are others here that only play that and may have answers. Maybe pop into the historical forum and take a look around and ask there?

Other than that to me the fist step would be to return to default settings, run autocalc, let the season play, and see what you have when done. It may fix it. If not you have a base to work off to try to figure out what might be going on.

Sorry with historical that is about as much as I know. Good luck.
Thank you Sweed! This is very helpful and will give it a try.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:19 AM   #14
Taco Lover
Minors (Single A)

Your suggestions worked!

1983 ACTUAL REPLAY DIFFERENCE
BAV .261 .266 +.005 league average

HR 3301/127 3473/134 +7 average per team
(total/avg per team)

ERRORS 3498/135 3166/122 -13 average per team

ERA 3.86 4.26 +0.40 league average

I'm very pleased with these results. Auto playing the season it was discovered that I'm apparently a terrible manager at playing actual games! LOL The KC Royals equaled their best season ever for my replay seasons with a 102-60 record.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:31 AM   #15
Taco Lover
Minors (Single A)

I'm going to now replay the season and manage games individually as done for previous 1969-1982 seasons, but doubt that I'll be able to equal 102 wins due to my tendency of playing favorite KCR players regardless of how they are performing over up and comers who can outplay them.

I'm just happy the stats are now well within limits of what I consider to be reasonable and fun to play with. Thank you Sweed for your very helpful suggestions!
Old 04-17-2022, 02:00 PM   #16
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Your suggestions worked!

1983 ACTUAL REPLAY DIFFERENCE
BAV .261 .266 +.005 league average

HR 3301/127 3473/134 +7 average per team
(total/avg per team)

ERRORS 3498/135 3166/122 -13 average per team

ERA 3.86 4.26 +0.40 league average

I'm very pleased with these results. Auto playing the season it was discovered that I'm apparently a terrible manager at playing actual games! LOL The KC Royals equaled their best season ever for my replay seasons with a 102-60 record.
Glad to hear it. Autocalc, as I said, is your friend.

I know some will tinker with modifiers manually after autocalc sets a baseline for them. I have never done this as my stats, like yours, have always been "where they should be". Just letting you know in case you come across a thread where someone is saying "I always have to adjust x,y, or z even after autocalc". This might tempt you to "go down that hole". Totally up to you but I would not.

So many times new users will throw their hand up and get upset and say OOTP is a terrible game, give up, and maybe go on to "run OOTP down" on this and other forums.
When all they needed was some patience and maybe a little help from veteran players.
Hoping the new tutorials coming in v23 will change some of that.

Anyway good on you for sticking with it and finding an answer here. Most are happy to help though at times answers may be slow coming just due to we all have lives.

Happy to help. From the tone of your posts I'm thinking you are one that will "pay it forward" in the very near future for other new users

Enjoy your new time sink, ahhh game