Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 22 > OOTP 22- New to the Game?

OOTP 22- New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-24-2022, 12:51 PM   #1
quinden
Bat Boy

Do these sorts of leagues exist?

Hello all,

I plan on getting ootp23 after last trying ootp (briefly) years ago. I am wondering if there are online ootp dynasty leagues that use real players and just sim one year per real MLB/MiLB year. Then update to the next version of ootp, using the carry over dynasty roster and updated ootp ratings to start the next sim’d season.

So, basically an ABPA or Strat type dynasty model, with annual ootp updates acting like a new cardset based on last year’s mlb/milb performance. Not sure what type(s) of league models I would like to try, but wondering if this type is a possibility.

Thanks much
quinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:32 PM   #2
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Probably? But TBH OOTP isn't really built for that. It's a really robust game and it will recreate single seasons, including the current one or last year, pretty well - I would say a lot more realistically than APBA and I think where SOM might have a slight edge is in things that OOTP design-wise chooses not to do, like assigning subjective grades to defense.

You can also start in, say, 1977 and do a series of single-season replays to the present day if that's what you want. Somewhat recently the game has incorporated real-life transactions and lineups so if you don't want to play the role of GM you can do so. Again, this is kind of stretching the bounds of what OOTP was built to do (it shines IMO as a GM simulator, particularly running modern leagues, the closer to <current date> the better), but it will do the trick for a lot of people.

The only reason I bring this kind of thing up is that from time to time we see people complain that Strat or Diamond Mind Baseball are better at single-season replays, especially historical ones. Personally I think the difference is slight but it exists, and furthermore there are design decisions that OOTP made that make a great deal of sense for multi-season / era replays that single-season people seem to hate (for instance, the Roger Maris question... should Roger Maris average 61 HRs in a 1961 replay? The answer might seem like an obvious "yes" but I think when you put his 1961 into context it was a major outlier for him, and anyone who's done multi-season replays knows that guys who will "average", say, 50 HRs in a given season will occasionally break 60 just due to the nature of randomness... so OOTP decided "no" is the right answer there) (also, I think there's maybe less of it now but what about guys like Johnny Podres or Mark Fydrich who got hit-lucky for a season or two? Do you artificially lower their BABIP even though studies indicate that they likely had little to no impact on it being low?). Of course, OOTP doesn't charge for historical seasons, which SOM/DMB do because they hand-curate them and there's a lot of extra effort there, but that doesn't make OOTP "Walmart DMB", it makes OOTP a different game that tries to do different things.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:57 PM   #3
quinden
Bat Boy

Thanks for the kind and helpful reply Syd. Makes a lot of sense, and I can see how OOTP has different (and exciting) strengths than the alternatives you mentioned. You offered exactly the sort of insights I was wondering about — much appreciated.

I appreciated the mention of Fidrych — I recently saw the documentary the MLB Network did on him. It was great in capturing the mania around him — and sad given his early and accidental death.

Thanks again and take good care!

Last edited by quinden; 03-24-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 03:20 PM   #4
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinden View Post
Thanks for the kind and helpful reply Syd. Makes a lot of sense, and I can see how OOTP has different (and exciting) strengths than the alternatives you mentioned. You offered exactly the sort of insights I was wondering about — much appreciated.

I appreciated the mention of Fidrych — I recently saw the documentary the MLB Network did on him. It was great in capturing the mania around him — and sad given his early and accidental death.

Thanks again and take good care!
I always appreciate any mention of Fidrych, too.
As might be guessed by my user name and photo here.

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:15 PM   #5
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinden View Post
Hello all,

I plan on getting ootp23 after last trying ootp (briefly) years ago. I am wondering if there are online ootp dynasty leagues that use real players and just sim one year per real MLB/MiLB year. Then update to the next version of ootp, using the carry over dynasty roster and updated ootp ratings to start the next sim’d season.

So, basically an ABPA or Strat type dynasty model, with annual ootp updates acting like a new cardset based on last year’s mlb/milb performance. Not sure what type(s) of league models I would like to try, but wondering if this type is a possibility.

Thanks much

No, I think it'd be way too slow for most OOTP players but I suspect if you were interested in running a league like that or looking for other players who play that way, there'd probably be solid interest because it's a really unique way to play the game.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:04 PM   #6
whaleheader
Minors (Triple A)

My online league works this way. Although we speed up the offseason and start a little earlier, we pretty much play one day at a time during the season with real players.

Message me for more info.
whaleheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:12 PM   #7
whaleheader
Minors (Triple A)

As a follow-up...

I believe this should be an alternative mode. Many people have played games like Strat, DMB, APBA, and Dynasty. It's an untapped market.

My league is over 30 years old. We are currently in our 4th year using OOTP. I say we shadow MLB, because we take advantage and integrate some of OOTP's features.

Like I said, send me a private message to learn more.

In the meantime, visit our website to get started:
http://www.whaleheads.com

We use StatsPlus and Discord to help manage things. We currently have 20 teams but will be expanding by four more teams at the end of the current season.

https://statsplus.net/wlb/
whaleheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:14 PM   #8
quinden
Bat Boy

Thanks very much whaleheader! I sent you a private message.