Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:40 PM   #1
skbvib
Bat Boy

Prospect trading

First post - I've been playing OOTP 20 for a few weeks now, and recently I've noticed that trading has become very frustrating.

I saw a comment that teams would be loathe to trade top prospects for prospects...this makes some sense but at least in my play its reached silly levels.

I find that all teams have now taken the position that their top prospects are "untouchable". I've tried examples where I offer (2-3) 5* star prospects (each of which would be the equal of the other player) for 1 prospect, and no player on my team (including star level MLB'rs) will be enough.

The logic seemed to have changed in one of the recent patches (it was about right before that). Is anyone else seeing this?

I enjoy building up my system with talent, then deploying it en masse to get future stars before they hit the big leagues. These recent changes make that impossible...which means all the effort to acquire talent (that will then get log jammed in a talent rich farm system) is really a waste of time.
skbvib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:39 AM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

bah! it's an overt attack on my system of playing... lol, kidding.

i trade vets along with prospects, but this will probably reduce my rate of replacement, nonetheless... somtimes it is a package of good-to-great prospects for 1 amazing prospect in return. i'll have to adjust.. but likely still be able to abuse the sh@$ out of it... LoL. and, without resorting to sign and trade antics.

do as you do, but make sure to trade those vets before 10/5 rule sets in. as one comes up, you procure a new one for a future need with a package of a couple prospects and an great 28-31y.o. established MLB talent etc etc... as long as you got your ducks lined up, it'll still provide you with a cavalcade of amazing prospects.. there's no way they can break this system of dominance without breaking the game.

it might make the window of opportunity a year or 2 smaller with each player, but there was a ton of wiggle room already.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-08-2019 at 04:40 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Aaron's Aron
Minors (Single A)

I will say that I have noticed this as well (not that it is a bad thing). I really wanted Adley Rutschman, but I had to settle for drafting Andrew Vaughn. After the year of no trading recent draftees expired, I tried to trade Vaughn and my other four best prospects and they were not interested. It is kinda frustrating, but I suppose it is kinda realistic since prospect for prospect trades don't happen much. /me shrugs
Aaron's Aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #4
panda234
Minors (Triple A)

I am getting many more “you don’t have a player that works” messages than I did before. I assumed it was because my MiL wasn’t as strong as before. Maybe there has been a change.
panda234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
skbvib
Bat Boy

How to tweak?

Ya, Ive played the same strategy for several years' versions and it worked consistently though all versions...including OOTP 20 until a week ago or so. I suspect it was modified in a patch.

I like the difficulty aspect, but if I'm offering several top tier prospects + any other player (including young cheap vets who are 5*) and can get a sniff on a 4* prospect in return, then the game may as well denote them as listed as un-tradeable. And as it sits now, pretty much every team's top 2-5 prospects are untradeable, even if they are in Win Now mode.

That simply does not mirror reality in MLB. How can this be tweaked back (or made into a setting)?
skbvib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
mtlcash
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Something has changed, you can't trade for high end prospects anymore, impossible.
mtlcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #7
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

You should be able to alter trade difficulty as well trade preferences (highly value prospects or vetetans, value prospects or veterans, and neutral) in the settings. Since you're trying to trade prospect for prospect I don't think changing preferences would help. So you'd probably have to try bumping down the trade difficulty, which would likely require some house rules if you don't want to make the game too easy as you'll be able to fleece the AI easier. If that doesn't help, you might be SOL.

If it's any consolation, I haven't been able to play OOTP in my preferred style since OOTP 17.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

start timing it with the vets you get rid of, i bet it works still. just a slight modification to timing... more consilidation trades of yougner talents to get a tailored package for that target team's greatest needs.

checking team needs right? if it's blue for what you are offering, or worse offering RP, they don't value that stuff very highly... need to fullfill some red bubble needs in the package.

seriously, if oyu add an RP it generally reduces the chance of them saying yes, unless it's a crazy-talented RP, and even then heavily dependent on weakness and maybe only a modicum of improved respons (verbage the use is ordinal, learn what each means specificlaly... some are equivalents.)
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
jparker2112
All Star Reserve

when ive run into that where BOTH my GM and their GM says the deal stinks and in reality the deal is a win/win...FORCE THE DEAL! haha! ill look deep into both sides and if i think AI and my GM are being silly i just commish mode it and force the trade. I dont do it often, but sometimes when it makes sense for both sides why not?
jparker2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #10
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

So what youre saying is....teams not wanting to give up their good players is a PROBLEM?

Turn commissioner mode on

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #11
mtlcash
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Looks like prospect trading hasn't been fixed in the new patch still
mtlcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #12
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

It’s good as is
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:30 PM   #13
Malova
Minors (Double A)

I am bumping this, it's literally impossible to trade now as well as "make this work now" doesn't function anymore at all. As stated above it was working fine in the new version and previous (since i started in ootp 16) but now all the sudden it's messed up?

Developers a remark on this please?
Malova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:00 AM   #14
Tazilon
Minors (Double A)

I have the same experience in Challenge Mode. I can never get a trade to go through because "Make this work" never does diddly.
Tazilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #15
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazilon View Post
I have the same experience in Challenge Mode. I can never get a trade to go through because "Make this work" never does diddly.
You probably are not offering anything the AI is looking for or wants. I am able to get the Make this work function to work all the time. When i offer terrible packages i dont see a single player to make it work. It is all a matter of value, sometimes they dont view a veteran as I highly as I do and i cant get them to say who they would want in my org.
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:07 PM   #16
Malova
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIUPIKE View Post
You probably are not offering anything the AI is looking for or wants. I am able to get the Make this work function to work all the time. When i offer terrible packages i dont see a single player to make it work. It is all a matter of value, sometimes they dont view a veteran as I highly as I do and i cant get them to say who they would want in my org.

It was changed though in one of the recent patches, more or less we are asking for it to be changed back to the way it was. It makes it almost impossible to trade now.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #17
MikeS21
Minors (Triple A)

I'm not sure that it is even possible to write AI code that would completely mimic real trades.

It just seems a whole lot more complicated than comparing skillsets of two players and making a decision if a fair trade is possible. There are so many off-the-field variables that go into making trades nowadays that can not be included in the trading AI of the game. For example, so many trades involving prospects are based on the number of years of team control, 40 man roster space, and other such factors. While you can add such factors in as you go, it will never be perfect because there is always some new factor, some new statistic, or some new indicator that teams look for in making trades. Every team's philosophy is different. Every GM's standards are different. Every owner's whims are different. All of that factors in when trades are made.

Let's face it ... if the trading AI got too realistic, baseball teams would be calling the guys (and gals) of OOTP Developments and asking to use the AI code to simulate actual real life trades.
MikeS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #18
Ts-Rock
Major Leagues

just reading this post and I have seen same, has this been adjusted in new patch (DL now in hotel slow ass internet speed).

2010 114-48, World Series Champions
2011 109-53, 1st Rd Loss to N.F.
2012. 96-66, 1st Rd Loss to L.A.
2013 112-50, World Series Champions
2014 119-43, World Series Champions
2015 124-38, World Series Champions
2016 111-51, LCS Loss to L.A.
2017 110-52, World Series Champions
2018 101-61, 1st Rd Loss to Baffin Island
2019. 98-64, LCS Loss to Baffin Island
2020 103-59,
Ts-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #19
Arobbins
Minors (Double A)

I knew I didn't update for a reason!

After reading the posts here, it can't be a bad idea to include some kind of trade value indicator next to players in the Transactions menu(s)

I.E. Madden and 2K have a value rating system for players and picks in the trade screen

Arobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #20
Malova
Minors (Double A)

Any mod or developer care to comment on this and share some insight please?