Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
Bonedwarf
All Star Starter

Wanted: Simple universe ideas

Over a year ago I came up with detailed rules for my universe. How to decide the length of time between fights, injuries etc... Sadly I lost all said details and now find myself wanting to start a universe and not really knowing what I should do.

My original plan was to create, say, 200 fighters, and split them into 12 groups. January, February etc... Then sim a month at a time. Then I had some complex equation to figure out how many months it would be before their next fight, moved them to the appropriate month etc...

Then in year two I'd debut, say, 10 new fighters.

That's it for details. Anyone got anything more useful to suggest, or dice roll charts for injuries or anything?
Bonedwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Cap
Hall Of Famer

You could shake dem chicken bones and see what they tell ya.

Are you using fictional fighters or historical? If historical. just a straight timeline with a sprinkling of fighter from other eras would be one way to go. But sounds like you want something more complex. I wish the last patch had included an injury-tracker/out-of-action component.

Cap
Old 01-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Bonedwarf
All Star Starter

I should have pointed out. It'd be fictional.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

In my fictional universe, which I admit I have not spent much time on lately, I sim about 25-50 fights at a time. Then I advance a week or so, and sim another 25-50. Only those who have been off for 30 days get to fight.

Each weight class has a couple hundred fighters. What I am trying to do is randomize the number of fights that guys have as time goes by and thereby have them age at different rates. One fighter might fight once a month, while another, as luck would have it, gets a 3 month layoff, then fights every other month, etc etc.

Eventually I will introduce a dozen or so new fighters every year, so somebody will always be at the beginning stage as other fighters reach post-prime and eventually are retired.

I'm with Cap in that I would love to see an injury tracker/out of action component in the game. In a universe with hundreds of fighters, this would really help remove some of the tediousness involved in determining who fights when. I would go further and suggest a real injury model that ranks injury severity and uses that to suggest layoff time or even to advise de-licensing of a fighter.

An earnings tracker is also very high on my wish list, but that's another topic for another thread.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Jersey-Jim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
You could shake dem chicken bones and see what they tell ya.

Are you using fictional fighters or historical? If historical. just a straight timeline with a sprinkling of fighter from other eras would be one way to go. But sounds like you want something more complex. I wish the last patch had included an injury-tracker/out-of-action component.

Cap

They had an "out of action" article a few years back in the back of one of the boxing magazines. The article was written by a fight doctor. A woman fight doctor!

Anyway, she gave a variety of injuries, levels of severity, and the time a fighter would have to be out of the ring and/or unable to spar. I wish I could find that article. That would make a great addition to the game as long as it could be toggled on and off.

Keeping track manually takes a little bit of work. But it's not too bad.
Jersey-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 AM   #6
Bonedwarf
All Star Starter

I did come up with a dice chart on here a year or two ago for injuries and stuff. I don't remember if I posted it on here, and I've lost my copy, so it may just be lost to the ages sadly.